Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

I would say you are very lucky to have a fiancee who also likes photography. Envy you

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my fiancee is also a photographer.

at first she was like you.

she said, "singapore so mundane", then i brought her around a few times, now she agrees that it is perhaps, in some sense, familiar... but by no means mundane, and definitely not exhaustive for landscape shoots.

when we went to paris, we were on the rooftop of tour montparnasse for nearly an hour amidst serious wind.

when we went to bali, we spent the whole day in the sun shooting seascapes, only breaking for rather delightful lunches and enjoying the nights leisurely when the light had died. we walked nearly 2 hours back to our hotel along the beach in the dark because our guide had gone home.

i guess i'm lucky.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Singapore is a small island. This is the fact. If Singapore has unlimited landscape shooting, then how about Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan or even China?
    Well, since we are living in this tiny island, what we can do is to work around to get different perspective landscape shoots. This is very challenging indeed.
    However, maybe we have a HUGE pool of photography hobbyists in Singapore, who shoot the Singapore landscapes day in day out until I see too many of the photos are identical. This is one of the reasons I guess.
    There are still a lot...

Take a look at r00kie's pictures also. He and Draken both walk and cycle hours to get to places most people would not even think of doing. They just kept exploring, and kept shooting. Recently they stumbled on some very very interesting landscapes. No one else have shot those yet.

yes, agree, but there are also other limitations.

malaysia is not as well connected as singapore, public transport wise, that is a fact. i don't have a car, and i don't intend to drive cars that aren't mine, and i'm quite sure renting one is not very economical.

so given a choice between a seaside location and singapore , if i'm bored with singapore, why not. given a choice between a location where i have to drive, and singapore... i'd much rather stay here and explore my homeland more thoroughly..

there is something more than just "looking for something nice to shoot", actually. i feel happy here, and i want to show others (and sometimes, ourselves) that singapore is beautiful.

most of the time, i take a holiday to break away, any landscape is a bonus. for a while there, my holidays were planned around photography... but i've since realised that there's more to life than just focusing on that.
    Did I mention anything about driving?
    It is quite possible to cycle up there. Relatively few cars and those that do appear will take care to give ample space to the cyclist. Cycle up there many years back. Stayed at a nice little "villa" with running water. The coconut trees, rocks, sunrise, surf.... a type of place you might want to retire if you enjoy rustic rural life.
    Last edited by coolthought; 24th November 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

when we went to bali, we spent the whole day in the sun shooting seascapes, only breaking for rather delightful lunches and enjoying the nights leisurely when the light had died. we walked nearly 2 hours back to our hotel along the beach in the dark because our guide had gone home.
    i guess i'm lucky.
    You are, indeed.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    It is quite possible to cycle up there. Relatively few cars and those that do appear will take care to give ample space to the cyclist. Cycle up there many years back. Stayed at a nice little "villa" with running water. The coconut trees, rocks, sunrise, surf.... a type of place you might want to retire if you enjoy rural rustic life.
    Sounds great I favour motorcycle to get around. Went up the road to Melakka or Mersing, beautiful spots in between (didn't had my camera then, too bad). Guess I'll redo some of these trips again. I just love these small roads between villages.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    It is quite possible to cycle up there. Relatively few cars and those that do appear will take care to give ample space to the cyclist. Cycle up there many years back. Stayed at a nice little "villa" with running water. The coconut trees, rocks, sunrise, surf.... a type of place you might want to retire if you enjoy rural rustic life.
    i... am not a cyclist.

i might walk, i might run, but i abhor cycling. in part because i haven't done it before.

Blog Entries

we walked nearly 2 hours back to our hotel along the beach in the dark because our guide had gone home. i guess i'm lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You are, indeed.
    Not to mention... very the lomantic...

and now you can shoot the remnants of our national stadium... shoot before it is all gone.

i... am not a cyclist.

i might walk, i might run, but i abhor cycling. in part because i haven't done it before.
    ok then. I will cycle. You will run.

ps. I will offer to carry your gears on my bicycle.

check this list out.

Blog Entries

Have you seen people shot this before?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...&postcount=561

A long walk before they got to the view.

Sounds great I favour motorcycle to get around. Went up the road to Melakka or Mersing, beautiful spots in between (didn't had my camera then, too bad). Guess I'll redo some of these trips again. I just love these small roads between villages.
    this will be possible if everyone has a bike and riding licence.
    I do agree that you can get to places pretty fast.
    We may do a Lake Kenyir trip.
    http://www.kenyirlake.com/

#1 is a location shared by a friend from the pentax section on flickr.

#2, yes, so where is it?

if you want wow factor, that has more to do with light than anything else.

let's take the uk for example, dorset coast has been covered to death by every budding uk seascape photographer.

durdle door is a famous structure there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonyspencer/3920162436/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonyspencer/4275052842/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robspages/4121816422/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonyspencer/4282966074/

the same person can take 3 different views, in different light, and then someone else can come along and do something new.

the eiffel tower has been shot to death.

ditto for golden gate bridge...

is it that important to be different? what are you in photography for? to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you take special, unique pictures? then i suggest you do the unthinkable - row a sampan to the north pole, for example, and take a photo of it on the ice, it would be the most unique photo on earth, i would think (except that someone could probably do a good photoshop job and crap it out in 5 minutes today).

when you really think about it, it's all been done before, but i know i'm in it for the hobby, and after a certain point, i feel happy just being there, shooting, knowing that i can appreciate the sea around my legs, the sea soaking into my ... underwear, or even just looking at the light and feeling your heart racing when you think about how to compose the scene, move around, half-squat quickly to see if a different perspective works.

that's me, i don't know about you, and i'm not one to tell anyone how to enjoy their hobby, but to me, trying to go out of your way to be special (or take special, cool, unique pictures that no one else has produced)... sometimes what you thought was special... was the most cliched thing ever. i've been there before. now, i would rather spend that energy on shooting what i like to shoot. the way i like to shoot it.
    * Click the like button *

Blog Entries

When you do bro, remember to bring a large aluminium tripod. So you can whack anyone who try to get fresh with your gear and wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    When you do bro, remember to bring a large aluminium tripod. So you can whack anyone who try to get fresh with your gear and wallet.
    go in a group and use common sense. Should be quite safe.

Running out of place for landscape is yes and no..YES for those who think they have discovered whole of Singapore, No for those who think Singapore still has something to offer.

Base on land size, Singapore only have this much scape to offer...yes it is small. But at least they are easily accessible from one end to the other end a plus point.

Base on the country u quoted, they are definitely bigger in Singapore.for example if u stay in JB, JB will bore u soon...but sooner or later you will be bore by the whole of Malaysia too.....we can only cover so much area with the limited time we have

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Singapore is a small island. This is the fact. If Singapore has unlimited landscape shooting, then how about Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan or even China?
    Well, since we are living in this tiny island, what we can do is to work around to get different perspective landscape shoots. This is very challenging indeed.
    However, maybe we have a HUGE pool of photography hobbyists in Singapore, who shoot the Singapore landscapes day in day out until I see too many of the photos are identical. This is one of the reasons I guess.
    Its a Sony :: [ SGP Birds ]

Sort of agree with your statement. Fun and knowledge sharing aside... probably upto individuals in having their unique style of composition. Else might just end up being more rigid to how they compose their pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    dats why i dun like to join group outings. it just kills your creativity! cos everyone is shooting the same or similar things.

here's what i have shot.

These might not be the best but at least its different.

all are handheld shots btw.

The world is ever changing, that include this small island.

It will never run out of place to shoot, only people run out of ideas.

Photography sometimes need to copycat from other. Sometimes at our room, playground, staircase and etc also can take awesome images.

I think most pictures are similar but not identical.
    Group outings are mostly to teach and to learn ....
    By shooting similar composition, and make comparisons, we will be able to learn, how certain things are achieve ...
    The differences might be subtle, but it might make or break a picture ...
    I am sure none of the pictures are exactly the same .....

Anyway, those who are keen to learn will look and appreciate how certain effect, tone etc are achieve, it is not just the composition ..

There is no doubt that there are alot of things, places etc to shoot in SG.
    Last edited by scubagolfer; 24th November 2010 at 08:51 PM.
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast