Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 123

Thread: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    people, as in all ages, all sizes, all shapes.......

    if anyone already 七老八十 still only how to shoot XXM, something is very wrong here.
    i don't know, i enjoy shooting my fiance...

    shoot until she 七老八十 i will not post up a thread saying "is she running out of angles for me to shoot"

    the land changes, people change, it's all the same.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    I just voice out from a viewer's perspective on the local landscape photos posted in this forum. For myself, I haven't really focus on landscape shooting but will strive to make a difference in photography.
    However, I believe there are some very good landscape master in Singapore, just that there are too many followers, which make the photos almost the same. Sorry if too harsh, just share my thoughts from a viewer's perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    basically, what N86M says you haven't try hard enough to look for new things, new angle to shoot in here. In a metropolitan city like the one here, there are many things to shoot as it is rich in details, geometry, patterns, colours...etc.

    temperate climate countries has seasons, they made good use of it. Us, we can really shoot all year round.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  3. #23

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I just voice out from a viewer's perspective on the local landscape photos posted in this forum. For myself, I haven't really focus on landscape shooting but will strive to make a difference in photography.
    However, I believe there are some very good landscape master in Singapore, just that there are too many followers, which make the photos almost the same. Sorry if too harsh, just share my thoughts from a viewer's perspective.
    since we aren't a master or at least a master wannabe... we thread the thread the masters do.... shoot the scene the masters do...
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  4. #24

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I just voice out from a viewer's perspective on the local landscape photos posted in this forum. For myself, I haven't really focus on landscape shooting but will strive to make a difference in photography.
    However, I believe there are some very good landscape master in Singapore, just that there are too many followers, which make the photos almost the same. Sorry if too harsh, just share my thoughts from a viewer's perspective.
    I have attended a travel pro photographer talk, he did make a remark that we should be "going out there" (out of singapore) to shoot landscape and stop shooting things like MBS to death. Well that guy make a living out of photography and seems like doing very well.

    We didn't make any statement that says otherwise.

    maybe once a while we do need to "go out there".
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  5. #25
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when you really think about it, it's all been done before, but i know i'm in it for the hobby, and after a certain point, i feel happy just being there, shooting, knowing that i can appreciate the sea around my legs, the sea soaking into my ... underwear, or even just looking at the light and feeling your heart racing when you think about how to compose the scene, move around, half-squat quickly to see if a different perspective works.


    Couldn't have said it better.

    In the end, for me, it is about being there when the sun peeks over the horizon. Everytime I am there, and I see it happen, it is magical.

    If I just want to see unique or different scenes, I will just stay home and watch TV or flip a magazine.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 22nd November 2010 at 07:22 PM.

  6. #26
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post


    Couldn't have said it better.

    In the end, for me, it is about being there when the sun peeks over the horizon. Everytime I am there, and I see it happen, it is magical.

    If I just want to see unique or different scenes, I will just stay home and watch TV or flip a magazine.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    What I meant is there are just too many people shooting the same landscape same object here. Nothing wrong for personal preference actually. I like to wear adidas shirt but when all the people at orchard road wearing the same adidas shirt, what do u think?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  8. #28

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    I think we can shoot the same place but try add something to make a slight difference to it.

    Maybe say bring along some items to go along with the scenery?

    E.g. (not a good picture but taken when I got my first dslr less than 5 months) Many people shoot the scenery from marina barrage. And I was inspired by some portrait shots there, but I have no model to try out so I just took my soft toy.

    Not a new idea but it's unique to me because that's my soft toy there.

    Another e.g. sunset (again not a good picture at that time I was trying to do a balance of exposure but failed and I know nothing about post processing)

    Unique to me because that's my toy there again.

    Shooting shores? Maybe you can bring one glass bottle, decorate it yourself and put it as your subject to shoot. It's the same landscape but again something slightly different and more unique.

    So I think there are alot more ways to shoot a same scene, it's up to whether we want to achieve what others have done beautifully or we want to modify and try something new.

    ANyway I am not good in landscapes...just crapping.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 22nd November 2010 at 08:06 PM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    dats why i dun like to join group outings. it just kills your creativity! cos everyone is shooting the same or similar things.

    here's what i have shot.







    These might not be the best but at least its different.

    all are handheld shots btw.
    Last edited by sinned79; 22nd November 2010 at 08:16 PM.

  10. #30
    Member macaroni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    northside
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    I like the texture of the stairs in the first shot.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Maybe I should start this thread at the kopitiam talk session.....
    I opened this thread not seeking for serious debate but rather sharing our thoughts. My purpose is to question whether Singapore has limited landscape to shoot or the people in Singapore have limited creativity to shoot. What triggered the question are those many very identical local landscape photos I have seen in this forum for the past few months.

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    what was the main reason you starting this topic since more or less you have some mindset in mind. If SG is small and almost every picture here seem so similar so what you want to do? want are you looking for? are you seeking for some ppl in CS to prove you are right? are you seeking changes to Govt to make the whole place more "photogenic" ?

    Please share with us rather then throwing an open question here.

    PS: i strongly believe this is more like a kopitiam talk rather than General Tech Talk forum.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  12. #32

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    They are nice shoots, especially the 3rd one

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    dats why i dun like to join group outings. it just kills your creativity! cos everyone is shooting the same or similar things.

    here's what i have shot.







    These might not be the best but at least its different.

    all are handheld shots btw.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  13. #33

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Maybe I should start this thread at the kopitiam talk session.....
    I opened this thread not seeking for serious debate but rather sharing our thoughts. My purpose is to question whether Singapore has limited landscape to shoot or the people in Singapore have limited creativity to shoot. What triggered the question are those many very identical local landscape photos I have seen in this forum for the past few months.

    I think partly its probably due to the lifestyle and the level of commitment an average Singaporean puts into the hobby.

    Alot of times, its the laziness as well , as mentioned, to really go out to be in a place to capture unique scenes.

    as for XMM, I always find that challenging to shoot than landscapes haha .
    Alpha and Omega

  14. #34

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    There is nothing wrong with shooting a place over and over again or shooting with the same perspective as other photographer. At least u could claim "been there, shot that"
    Else, u can start exploring a different perspective and have other follow u
    Its a Sony :: [ SGP Birds ]

  15. #35

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    What I meant is there are just too many people shooting the same landscape same object here. Nothing wrong for personal preference actually. I like to wear adidas shirt but when all the people at orchard road wearing the same adidas shirt, what do u think?
    If you have an issue with shooting the same thing as other people, then you should take the effort to find new places to shoot. I don't think Singapore is THAT limited.






    The first photo- I personally haven't seen anything similar.

    The second photo- the place has been shot quite frequently. I haven't seen anything similar either.


    If your photos are all too similar then I would suppose it's your creativity that's lacking not the number of available places...
    Olympian

  16. #36

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by stubertsg View Post
    There is nothing wrong with shooting a place over and over again or shooting with the same perspective as other photographer. At least u could claim "been there, shot that"
    Else, u can start exploring a different perspective and have other follow u
    I think, replicating another photographer's photo is also a way to learn. Even with the exact same settings, it's not easy to get the same photo, and with the same processing.
    Olympian

  17. #37

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Hi Candycaine,

    I have mentioned the following in my previous post:

    Maybe I should start this thread at the kopitiam talk session.....
    I opened this thread not seeking for serious debate but rather sharing our thoughts. My purpose is to question whether Singapore has limited landscape to shoot or the people in Singapore have limited creativity to shoot. What triggered the question are those many very identical local landscape photos I have seen in this forum for the past few months.


    Personally I seldom shoot landscapes but I like to view landscape photos on Flickr.com and Clubsnap. Due to the large number of identical landscape photos posted in Clubsnap, I started this thread to share my thoughts. If I were to shoot landscapes, I will try to shoot different perspective like the 1st photo(the passing train). It's indeed a very good shoot.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  18. #38
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post

    Personally I seldom shoot landscapes but I like to view landscape photos on Flickr.com and Clubsnap. Due to the large number of identical landscape photos posted in Clubsnap, I started this thread to share my thoughts. If I were to shoot landscapes, I will try to shoot different perspective like the 1st photo(the passing train). It's indeed a very good shoot.
    cos most photos u see are shot during big group outings, example the beginners group lead by cleonbus. So you see all the similar photos.

    dats why... going on solo shoot, u get more unique photos and you got more time to think and compose. Shooting in big group usually renders zero results and you tends to talk more then shoot more.

    i always like to travel ard in singapore during saturdays (not working) to see if i can shoot something that was not shot before.

    of cos i am not saying its not good to shoot in big groups. its good for newbies so they can learn from those more experienced. but once you are comfortable and confident to do your own shoots, you should break from these groups and go solo. that way then u will improve to the next level when you start to post your own unique photos and threads asking more advanced stuffs.
    Last edited by sinned79; 24th November 2010 at 02:41 PM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Maybe I should start this thread at the kopitiam talk session.....
    I opened this thread not seeking for serious debate but rather sharing our thoughts. My purpose is to question whether Singapore has limited landscape to shoot or the people in Singapore have limited creativity to shoot. What triggered the question are those many very identical local landscape photos I have seen in this forum for the past few months.
    you should be glad that you didnt start this in the kopitiam.. the comments so far are still in topic.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Is Singapore running out of places for landscape shooting?

    Is Singapore running out of landscape places for shooting?

    The landscape places will always be there unless government takes it off. I don't think Singapore is running out of landscape places for shooting. Maybe we are running out of places to shoot Singapore landscapes. Well, I don't think that will happen either.
    Last edited by gohjialong; 24th November 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •