Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: principle of the third rule

Default principle of the third rule

the third rule is one of the most basic rule photographers knows....i am a newbie....does it mean that i cannot choose my one of my focus point in the camera in the middle...but must choose the top/bottom or left/right...focus point

Default Re: principle of the third rule

Quote Originally Posted by niventham View Post
    the third rule is one of the most basic rule photographers knows....i am a newbie....does it mean that i cannot choose my one of my focus point in the camera in the middle...but must choose the top/bottom or left/right...focus point
    Why not? You can always use the center focus point to focus, lock the exposure and recompose after that.

You can choose the middle point to focus, then recompose.

You mean "the rule of thirds", right? It's not "the third rule".
    Alpha

eh ya rule of thirds...but if i use center focus then wont my picture be at the centre ?

the rule of third is recommend you to place the interest of your subject at the intersection points, not asking you to set your focusing point at intersection points.

btw focus and recompose will not always work, that is why modern cameras has so many focusing points.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

if i put my point of interest at the intersecting point....and if i dont place my focus point at that point of interest wont it go out of focus

if i put my point of interest at the intersecting point....and if i dont place my focus point at that point of interest wont it go out of focus
    Depends on the aperture you use. In landscape photography where you normally use a very small aperture like f/11 or 1/16 it doesn't matter, your DOF will be very deep anyway.

It's more of a challenge when shooting portraits.
    Alpha

i am using a 18-70 mm lens...at f4.5 but why isnt my pic do not have a shallow of field...???

i am using a 18-70 mm lens...at f4.5 but why isnt my pic do not have a shallow of field...???
    What focal length? 18mm? Depth of field is impacted by distance to subject, aperture and focal length. Wide-angle lenses (or lenses set at wide angle, like 18mm) have a naturally deep depth of field.

Look here:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Let's say you're on a Canon budget model (1.6x crop sensor), at 18mm, at f/4.5, and your subject is 3 meters away from you. Your actual depth of field is almost 13 meters!

But let's say you shoot at 55mm, at f/5.6, for a "headshot" of the model (still 3m away). Your depth of field will then be 2 feet, about .65 meters.

I suggest reading up a bit more on the newbies guides to photography.
    Alpha

if you are free you can take a look at my pics....i find them the most horrible photos ever i have seen....it is either out of focus ..or i dont know what to say....

and something to add to Rashkae.
    DOF is not just the f number.
    It is also;
    1. focal length of lens
    2. distance from camera to subject
    3. distance from subject to foreground. (this depends)

even with a pns, you can get a shallow DOP if you know how.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

if you are free you can take a look at my pics....i find them the most horrible photos ever i have seen....it is either out of focus ..or i dont know what to say....
    Did you put your focusing as continuous? You cannot recompose shots if you set it at that option, you can change this in your menu.

One thing I can't stand is blur photos. I delete all my blur photos immediately.
    Blur photos are simply becos of one or more of these reasons. (referring to static object)
    1. Lens didn't focus
    2. Camera shake
    3. dirty optics

i dont do continues shots...i not a very good photographer yet

i dont do continues shots...i not a very good photographer yet
    Continuous shots is not the same as continuous focus...
    Alpha

then what type of focus do you reccommend....but i dont think is continous focus...

then what type of focus do you reccommend....but i dont think is continous focus...
    This is your choice. If you are the kind who cannot stand still, continuous focus may be better for you.
    Alpha

we can go on the whole night trying to give you tidbits of things....and not very productive for anyone here including you.
    why not spend some time reading your camera manual to find out what are the functions it has and what it does.
    plus these 2 threads
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

Depends on what you are shooting actually, shooing moving objects would be easier on continuous focus, if you want to recompose then use single focus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast