Thread: Fire ants bite allergy help

Default Fire ants bite allergy help

Was bitten by a fire ant in mandai area while shooting yesterday. Not once but three times! The wounds are very itchy and now it's pretty swollen after 24hrs.

Will ice bag and Potassium Permangante help to alleviate the swelling for the moment? Need to see the Doc tomorrow cause suspect skin allergy. Imagine I can't even see my ankle contour with this swelling!

Sounds like a nasty allergic reaction. How about applying some calamine lotion to try to sooth the itch? Not sure if it'll help but worth a try I guess.

Would be best if you consult your GP early in the morning or later at night if there is evening clinic on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Was bitten by a fire ant in mandai area while shooting yesterday. Not once but three times! The wounds are very itchy and now it's pretty swollen after 24hrs.

Will ice bag and Potassium Permangante help to alleviate the swelling for the moment? Need to see the Doc tomorrow cause suspect skin allergy. Imagine I can't even see my ankle contour with this swelling!

why must wait tomorrow?? the clinic around your house never opened on sunday??? there is a 24 hrs at holland village, go there if your "wound" is getting serious.
    Objection !!!

go hopsital if there is pain....try calamine...and wateva u do....dun scratch..

Ice bag 10-15 min every coupla hours.

Take some Piriton (Chlorpheniramine) or any other runny nose medication you have around the house.

Deregistered

If you DO get a true allergic reaction your whole body will be covered in rashes, you will get swelling of the throat/airway (making it difficult for you to breathe), get an asthma attack (if you are asthmatic), and your heart will race. Severe cases of allergy (called anaphylaxis) can result in death from airway obstruction.

It sounds like you just have a local reaction to fire ants? I would have to see the bite marks to be sure. If you are still alive after 24 hours there's nothing to worry about Just go see a GP to make sure it's not become infected.

Streetshooter's advice is good - antihistamine and ice bag.
    Last edited by Amfibius; 20th June 2004 at 09:57 PM.

more likely u are stung rather than bitten

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    If you DO get a true allergic reaction your whole body will be covered in rashes, you will get swelling of the throat/airway (making it difficult for you to breathe), get an asthma attack (if you are asthmatic), and your heart will race. Severe cases of allergy (called anaphylaxis) can result in death from airway obstruction.

It sounds like you just have a local reaction to fire ants? I would have to see the bite marks to be sure. If you are still alive after 24 hours there's nothing to worry about Just go see a GP to make sure it's not become infected.

Streetshooter's advice is good - antihistamine and ice bag.

Thanks CaeSiuM, ninelives, Witness, StreetShooter and Dr Wong (Amfibius). Apparently, the swelling is reduced for the last couple of hours after repeated washing with soap and ice. Yes, I do have a case of allergy especially so towards insects (the acids that they secretes). That's why I keep my distance from them. (Thank goodness birds don't bite)

One thing that baffles me is that specific fire ant that bit me is very black (>10mm) with nasty looking "teeth" unlike those red ones that I have come across on the web. An abberation perhaps?

Lesson learnt: No more sandals for me in the field.
    Last edited by Jeff; 20th June 2004 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter

Take some Piriton (Chlorpheniramine) or any other runny nose medication you have around the house.
    This is definately the advice you would want to listen to.

Hope the swelling goes down soon....
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter

That's the best thing to do. It's a professional advice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff

Lesson learnt: No more sandals for me in the field.

told you guys won't wear that kind of footwear! won't listen!