Thread: Need tips and advice on driving up to Cameroon Highlands...

Default Need tips and advice on driving up to Cameroon Highlands...

hihi..
    i will be driving up to cameroon highlands with some friends next week...
    any advice or important things i need to take note b4 i take off?..

it will be my first time driving in malaysia.. both scared and excited.. hee

Default Top up your engine oil

Road conditions quite punishing, can really burn up engine oil. I actually ran low on engine oil during descent, hope I didn't damage my engine! Best if you have a 4WD vehicle, as the roads are quite bumpy.

Stay at either Tanah Rata or Brinchang as that's where most of the "attractions" are. Frankly, not much to see, but it's a nice cool break.

Early morning is misty, good for photography with the hills shrouded in mists.

Lastly, you must try the steamboat at Brinchang-- half tomyam soup, half chicken soup.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by blurboiboi
    hihi..
    i will be driving up to cameroon highlands with some friends next week...
    any advice or important things i need to take note b4 i take off?..

it will be my first time driving in malaysia.. both scared and excited.. hee

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Road conditions quite punishing, can really burn up engine oil. I actually ran low on engine oil during descent, hope I didn't damage my engine! Best if you have a 4WD vehicle, as the roads are quite bumpy.

Stay at either Tanah Rata or Brinchang as that's where most of the "attractions" are. Frankly, not much to see, but it's a nice cool break.

Early morning is misty, good for photography with the hills shrouded in mists.

Lastly, you must try the steamboat at Brinchang-- half tomyam soup, half chicken soup.

Wai Leong
    ===
    MMMMmmmmmm TOMYAM and CHICKEN soup........I can vouch that the taste is FANTASTIC! This is a must try!!!!!!!

Yes it is true. If you have 4WD, it will be the best!

never driven in malaysia before? remember not to trust road signs then!
    as for the winding road up to highlands, make sure you're wide awake and its not raining

...and a motion-sickness bag just in case

wow... good to hear there's great food there... and of course great sceneries to shoot.. ...

using a rented vechicle from JB... hope it can last all the way up there... afraid it will break down man

i will juz try to bash up there.. ha..
    btw any one has got a map that is easy to follow and navigate? I dunno any malay wor.. sianz

Just come back from cameron highlands two weeks back .

Just dont overshot your turn if not its hard to turn back again . Study your map well or ask ppl along the way. Actually no need for 4wd , just send your car for maintenance prior to the trip . that will be suffice.

As for the road, sound the horns when you approach the bend coz the lorry and the van there will drive very fast around the corner.

Lastly Enjoy yourself.

In your case, make sure your car has recently been serviced and is not overdue for another. Check engine oil. Check tires for adequate tread and air pressure. Don't let the service crew at your petrol stops check your engine oil and tell you that you are running low. Top up at Ayer Keroh, top up at Kuala Lumpuer, and you should have enough to reach Cameron Highlands itself. There are petrol kiosks on Cameron Highlands. The sloping roads make the fuel gauge read inaccurately. Have loose change ready to pay toll.

As you exit the North South Highway at KL, keep driving on the highway that points toward Kuantan, till you see the turn-off that heads towards Ipoh. You need to be aware where these locations are relative to each other, because none of the signs will say Cameron Highlands till the vicinity of where you exit the highway at Tapah.

Don't speed, speed limit is 110kmh. Don't carry too much money in your wallet. Change drivers regularly, driving on the highway is monotonous if everyone else is sleeping except the driver. It is a long 8 hour drive. Make sure you carry your driver's licence. Stay on the left lane unless overtaking. Signal intention always. Keep the doors locked. Carry your passports and valuables with you when you leave the car.

Leave your Initial-D aspirations at home when you drive up. The roads are windy and dangerous, with plenty of blind corners and slow moving heavy vehicles to frustrate you into attempting dodgy overtaking manuevers. Be very sure of your car's overtaking ability before trying anything. Turning the airconditioning helps to free the engine for a bit more horsepower. If in doubt, do not try. It is more dangerous coming down that going up, there are sheer drops on that side of the road. Bus and other large vehicles can and will drive into the on-coming lane on very tight corners due to their size. Be aware. If driving a manual, use engine brake to slow the car down. Driving at night, use high-beam if necessary, but remember to switch it off if you see on-coming cars.

dun forget to bring your cam.

get lots of sleep and have lots of reserve drivers. it's a long long way to africa.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    As you exit the North South Highway at KL, keep driving on the highway that points toward Kuantan, till you see the turn-off that heads towards Ipoh. You need to be aware where these locations are relative to each other, because none of the signs will say Cameron Highlands till the vicinity of where you exit the highway at Tapah.
    Actually you don't have to exit N-S highway at KL. Before KL, exit Nilai, then you will be on N-S all the way to from Johor to Tapah.

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnElLiN
    never driven in malaysia before? remember not to trust road signs then!
    as for the winding road up to highlands, make sure you're wide awake and its not raining

...and a motion-sickness bag just in case
    Remember that "Utara" is North and "Selatan" is South.

I kept following the signs but could never find the towns of "Utara" and "Selatan" on the map (and of course, never reached these towns either).

You can read about my trip to Cameron Highlands here:

http://www.ourfamily.com.sg/motorbike.html

i am baq from my trip... safe and sound.. ...
    thanx for all the advises guys.. u guys rock