Thread: Excel Pivot Tables

Default Excel Pivot Tables

Who in this forum is an expert or knowledgeable user of Pivot Tables (concept inventor Pito Salas) in Excel.

Understand it is extremely powerful, provided you know how to use it. Am trying to learn how to use.

Please explain how to use in simple to understand message or examples.

Default Re: Excel Pivot Tables

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Who in this forum is an expert or knowledgeable user of Pivot Tables (concept inventor Pito Salas) in Excel.

Understand it is extremely powerful, provided you know how to use it. Am trying to learn how to use.

Please explain how to use in simple to understand message or examples.
    I won't say I'm an expert but I use the pivot tables a lot. Yes, it is a powerful tool if your database is well organised.

The first thing you need to have, is your database. Are you using Excel XP or Excel 2007?
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Hey R - try this for an intro. Although in 2003 format - applicable to all versions http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...001034632.aspx

2003 and lower - drag and drop fields onto PivotTable
    2007 and 2010 by default - drag and drop fields into Field Pane
    2010 - offers PowerPivots to consolidate data from multiple sources + slicer + sparklines

Have fun and good playing/reading
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

why dont you share what data you are dealing with and what your objectives?

it's like saying i like to take photos, help me choose a lens.

No particular data set in mind. Just want to see how I can use this tool.
    Do work with lots of data at work but that's confidential, of course.
    I am using Excel 2003 XP.

Have read that Excel 2010 has made Pivot Table more easy to use...and there is a slicer.
    But I do like Excel 2003.
    Objective is to try and use Pivot table to see my data from various angles and their inter-relation.

Actually, if you do not have what you want to do in mind, very difficult to help you, and you will need to have someone who knows how to create and use a pivot table show you one time. Maybe you can take a look at this tutorial and see if it makes sense to you....

http://www.timeatlas.com/5_minute_ti..._organize_data

The tutorial gave some very good examples of how you can organise and view your data in different angles. Get a grip of the basics first, thereafter you can do magic with pivot tables.

Have fun!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Thanks. Will check it out.

Hi ..

Thank you for sharing.. it is great to be in CS.