Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So frustrating being a Pentax owner...

Default Re: So frustrating being a Pentax owner...

another way to settle this, is to buy everything that you really need first, and don't buy much.

like me, see, i bought everything i needed within a year (10-20, 50mm), and then the rest just came along as bonuses when i bumped into them (70-300 on offer in london, 10-17 in hong kong).

I used to think like TS.
    Buying lens can be irritating.

But after a while, you will realise you will have a "rare" collection of lens.
    So you will appreciate it more.

Also, when you see an actual lens in stock, you will think, damn I should get that before it runs out! lol
    I got my Sigma from B&H, everything's good.

I believe the amt of Pentax users are growing by the day, dont let this lens availability be an issue.
    Enjoy the good cam.
    Last edited by oyama85; 20th November 2010 at 04:18 PM.

When I was frustrated with Pentax before, I just look at my cute limiteds to remind me that I could never have those with other brands

Quote Originally Posted by yappiez View Post
    Ask ur friend to draw instead of taking photos... that is even harder still.......
    we have a Pentaxian who draw his photograph. see the awesome work of Marvin here

Pentaxians are not only exotic, we are unique too!!
    shoot to remember. flickr

Well, being a Pentaxian is unique, we are not like the crowd. It's cool, but you should foresee that we won't be able to get some stuff as easily as other brand users. If we can't live w/ that, better change cameras. All cameras on the market are more than enough to most users, we choose Pentax because it's unique, it's cool, and it's interesting.

And I really don't suggest you to buy a lens like 18-250 unless you plan to use it for travel. There are better and cheaper alternatives out there. BTW, the Pentax 18-135 is a very good lens, small and compact, very fast AF and decent IQ. Wait for my review and you'd be wanting one yourself

Just got myself a K-X a week ago or so. Coming from a D40 background, the K-X was, I believe, even smaller than that baby cam. This is fine with me but it seems to be heavier and less ergonomic...maybe I am used to the D40 grip that's why. I hope it will grow on me as I use it more and more. But it is definitely an excellent camera for the price, as the D40 on the used market is only 100 or so cheaper than the K-X with fastly inferior technical capabilities.

Anyway just my 2 cents for those who are in the same boat as me. BTW how do you switch pictures after zoomed in? I used to be able to do this with the nikon (to pixel peep the effects of changing aperture, shutter, iso, etc) but I don't think I can do this with the K-X?

Quote Originally Posted by reign226 View Post
    Just got myself a K-X a week ago or so. Coming from a D40 background, the K-X was, I believe, even smaller than that baby cam. This is fine with me but it seems to be heavier and less ergonomic...maybe I am used to the D40 grip that's why. I hope it will grow on me as I use it more and more. But it is definitely an excellent camera for the price, as the D40 on the used market is only 100 or so cheaper than the K-X with fastly inferior technical capabilities.

Anyway just my 2 cents for those who are in the same boat as me. BTW how do you switch pictures after zoomed in? I used to be able to do this with the nikon (to pixel peep the effects of changing aperture, shutter, iso, etc) but I don't think I can do this with the K-X?
    Welcome to Pentax family

Sorry I don't think there is a way to switch pics after zoomed in w/ Kx or Kr. But you can do so w/ K7/K5

Quote Originally Posted by yappiez View Post
    Just some ramblings of mine.. no offence anyone..

Being a new Pentax user, I am having difficulties getting the lens I want.. seems like no one has stock... (Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM)

(been checking with the shops listed in the Price guides..)

So far, I am very happy with what my Pentax camera can do for me but the lack of lens/ stock/ accessories is really disappointing.

I used to have a exotic bike. (italian superbike) and I can understand the lack of support in this country when it comes to parts and stuff... but hell, I am now in the same situation but the product nor brand is not even close to 'exotic' status or is it?!?

Damn.. this might be the first and last Pentax I ever own....
    Bro,
    Not being able to buy the lens you want is irritating but not the end of the world.
    The 18-250 performs great as an all-in-one general snapshot lens during overseas holidays.
    That kind of zoom dictates a level of image quality sacrifice which you will outgrow very quickly. I have the 18-250 but use it almost 99% of the time when overseas and do not want the hassle of changing lenses. Even then, I think a max zoom of 135mm would have been adequate most of the time. (that lens coming in mid Dec!)
    The 17-70 would be a better choice for general purpose use and that one is easily available.
    In fact, the "value-for-money-pack" lenses are all available, DA21mm ,DA40mm, DA70mm.

Welcome to the world of Pentax.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Though I've not owned the Sigma 18-250 but I've owned b4 a Samsung 18-250.
    Yes it's versatile & save the trouble of changing lens but the image quality loses to 18-55 +55-300 combo. After tried for a week I sold it off & back to 18-55+55-300 combo as I feel the final image quality is more impt than convenience. So for your case there are many other better & cheaper options as suggested by bro above.

Initially I also feel frustrated why Pentax does't have >300mm lens?
    And there was once I thot of jumping ship to Nikon but after I tried out K5 i'm impressed & decided to stay with Pentax.
    I tell myself my current k5 +DA*300 combo I'm able to shoot fast & hyper-active small birds (eg sunbirds, tailor birds, woodpeckers) but to those CaNikon with 500/600/800mm lens is alot more difficult. I got more successful shots than them & they can only envy.
    Another scenerio is shooting at Jurong Bird Park. Most of the time 500mm lens is useless there

But of cos I can get the Sigma 500 F4.5, just need to make an order, pay a deposit & patiently wait for the stock.

Wow those Limiteds blew me away. Especially the DA 40mm. It looks no bigger than a UV filter! So hard to imagine the awesome optical quality that can come out of such a small package. Definately makes Pentax unique to Canikons.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    And I really don't suggest you to buy a lens like 18-250 unless you plan to use it for travel. There are better and cheaper alternatives out there. BTW, the Pentax 18-135 is a very good lens, small and compact, very fast AF and decent IQ. Wait for my review and you'd be wanting one yourself
    I am buying it for travel to replace my PnS. Would like to have zoom of similar range hence the choice I made.

I already enquired with Emjay on the 18-135. If there is stock, I'll get one in a heartbeat....

And yes, waiting for the review from you too...

Pentax does have some significant short comings
    - no full frame model (645D is way out of reach for most people)
    - lack of cheap options like the 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 (partially addressed by the 35mm 2.4)
    - limited range of lenses (no modern tilt-shift option, no modern lens longer than 300mm)
    - poor third party support/supply (very difficult to get third party lenses in k-mount here, impossible to rent camera or body)
    - terribly flash system (hopefully addressed soon)

But its also very strong in other areas
    - very strong models in the K-5/K-r
    - complete line of APS-C lenses (Canon, Nikon only has 17-55 f2.8 for DX high end zoom)
    - high end lens/camera are very rugged and weatherproof
    - compactness of system (small bodies + many extremely small primes)
    - exceptional colour from its lenses
    - very good ergonomics (highly underrated imo).

Its a personal decision you have to make to stay on or move to another system. Everyone's needs are different, find the one that best suits your needs (and budget).

Hmm, some nice points. The lack of a cheap, big aperture autofocus lens kinda sucks. Nikon's aren't any cheaper though with their 35/50mm AF-S lens. So far only Canon has a cheap 50mm f/1.8 prime with AF that works with cheaper bodies. I don't think the general consumers shoot tilt shift or need more than 300mm and I'm also waiting for a cheaper beginner first party Pentax flash with a swivel head.

But I believe the value in Pentax is outstanding if you are just beginning to shoot with DSLR photography (which is where I am now).

The only frustration being a Pentax owner...is not being a Pentax owner much earlier.
    Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    The only frustration being a Pentax owner...is not being a Pentax owner much earlier.
    You should have added: and not buying the limiteds while they cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by alanpotpot View Post
    You should have added: and not buying the limiteds while they cheaper
    Truely said.
    If I know my 4D come in 1st, I'll bet my life's savings on it.
    Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    If you use an exotic bike, then you should use exotic stuff
    Pentax FA, DA primes for you
    I like! hahahah!
    --

Most of the good Pentax lenses are not hard to find.. I saw quite a few FA 77 at Orient Photo just a few days ago. Also saw quite a few DFA 100 at Manly.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

The FA Limiteds used to be cheaper until the Yen went up and so did the prices. I was saving for the FA77 a year and a half ago and it cost $900 then. When I decided to get it in June this year, the price is now $1280, but I still bought it. I don't have to use the K85mm F1.8 on the DSLR any more but that lens is now going to be used on my SLRs for portraits from now on.

I understand from Ronald that the FA77mm is really popular and not all the shops still have stock. IIRC he said only black is available now.
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 20th November 2010 at 09:59 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I used to have the same frustration until I started buying from oversea online store.
    The hassle free procedures plus the goods delivered in good conditions give me lot of confidence to buy back from the same store.
    Now I am not restricted to just shops in Singapore
    Just got myself a few lenses, including the Sigma 50mm F1.4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast