Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Minimalists Here?: Small & Light DSLR + 1 Prime Lens

Default Re: Any Minimalists Here?: Small & Light DSLR + 1 Prime Lens

Wow! Been busy for a bit hence couldn't reply. Great posts ladies and gents! I see, quite a number of minimalists in the crowd, surprisingly.

As for m4/3rds. Yes I've definitely considered it. It's almost like a Leica. But the tech is still in its infancy, and I'd rather go with something tried and tested. But I'm definitely keeping a look out for it. Though I did handle my friend's EP1 very briefly. It felt alot like shooting with a consumer camera, didn't really enjoy it. For me the D3100/550D size would be the smallest I'd go as a compromise for pocketability or rather "baggability" and ergonomics.

It's tough though. I tried the D5000 and didn't like it one bit. Put the D3100 in my hands and it was a different story. I guess its not just the size but the feel - and that's very subjective of course.

Interesting to see a D700 user going with a relatively small lens.

The tragedy for Nikon users who like to shoot wide is the dearth of new AF-S wide angle DX lenses. The 35 F1.8 is about the only DX lens. The 14-24 is very tempting BUT its too expensive and heavy. And it's a zoom!!! Sigh. Any options for small, light and affordable wide angle lenses that can AF with a motorless D3100?

Btw, would love to organise a prime lens/minimalist CS'er outing. Would love to meet up with some of you guys and shoot. Maybe after I return from China and before I fly home for Xmas. Anyone interested? Will post a separate thread some time soon!

The Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is indeed a very special lens. Although it is manual focus only, I found that I enjoy shooting more than the previous owned nikon 50mm f1.4G.

I think there are a few sigma prime lenses which can be used for motorless D3100? I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane View Post
    Wow! Been busy for a bit hence couldn't reply. Great posts ladies and gents! I see, quite a number of minimalists in the crowd, surprisingly.

As for m4/3rds. Yes I've definitely considered it. It's almost like a Leica. But the tech is still in its infancy, and I'd rather go with something tried and tested. But I'm definitely keeping a look out for it. Though I did handle my friend's EP1 very briefly. It felt alot like shooting with a consumer camera, didn't really enjoy it. For me the D3100/550D size would be the smallest I'd go as a compromise for pocketability or rather "baggability" and ergonomics.

It's tough though. I tried the D5000 and didn't like it one bit. Put the D3100 in my hands and it was a different story. I guess its not just the size but the feel - and that's very subjective of course.

The tragedy for Nikon users who like to shoot wide is the dearth of new AF-S wide angle DX lenses. The 35 F1.8 is about the only DX lens. The 14-24 is very tempting BUT its too expensive and heavy. And it's a zoom!!! Sigh. Any options for small, light and affordable wide angle lenses that can AF with a motorless D3100?

Btw, would love to organise a prime lens/minimalist CS'er outing. Would love to meet up with some of you guys and shoot. Maybe after I return from China and before I fly home for Xmas. Anyone interested? Will post a separate thread some time soon!
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

40d and 35mm shooter
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Nikon 10-24mm AFS. ONLY 460 gm.
    Even lighter is the Tamron 10-24mm at 370 gm (but cannot confirm whether it has a motor inbuild).

Currently I am bringnig just a 1000D + 35 f2.0 + 85 f1.8.
    Canon 1000D | efs 18 - 55 IS | efs 55 - 250 IS | ef 35 f2.0 | ef 85 f1.8 | nissin di622

only brought my D90 with af-s 35mm f1.8 for the last few trips to HK.

Am now questioning myself with i bought the heavy f2.8 zooms..
    Nikon D300

F2, with a 20mm lens.

Why restrict lens choices to autofocus? Increasingly, I am finding manual focus faster for the photos that i take. There is no need to fuss around with selecting focus points. Unless you are using continuous focus to track moving objects.

Though with a crop factor body, being able to judge sharp focus might be tougher.

I use a Samsung NX10 + 30mm/F2.0 as mentioned by others here.

I put it into my "normal" backpack (not camera bag). I think the camera is light and tough enough, and won't be seriously harmed unless run over by a vehicle.

I also think the class-leading flash, battery life and handling make it the cream of the crop.

I do not like the NX100. The design does not appeal to me.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

Minimalist for me, is the GF1, with the 9-18mm.

If the above is "disqualified" coz it's a zoom, then, it's the GF1, with the 25mm Pentax f1.4 and the EVF
    Certainly looks like a cute combo. Strange how some other people asked if it was a Leica....

Nikon D40 with 35 1.8 afs lens...that's my minimalist kit.
    Not much bigger that m43, but cheaper with better IQ..and a viewfinder!

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    Nikon D40 with 35 1.8 afs lens...that's my minimalist kit.
    Not much bigger that m43, but cheaper with better IQ..and a viewfinder!
    The D40 is a great camera. But I doubt that it's IQ is better than the modern sensors in m43 cameras.

Sensor technology has come a long way since the great days of the D40. :-)

mmm..maybe time for me to go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    I use a Samsung NX10 + 30mm/F2.0 as mentioned by others here.

I put it into my "normal" backpack (not camera bag). I think the camera is light and tough enough, and won't be seriously harmed unless run over by a vehicle.

I also think the class-leading flash, battery life and handling make it the cream of the crop.

I do not like the NX100. The design does not appeal to me.
    Yes, lets hope they stick to a version of NX10 in the future. Very nice form factor.
    NX100 is like a reply to Sony NEX.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Yes, lets hope they stick to a version of NX10 in the future. Very nice form factor.
    NX100 is like a reply to Sony NEX.
    Maybe so. It beats me also why anyone likes the Sony NEX though. The design is rectangular like a cold piece of plastic brick. Hard to hold and so uncameralike. The shape is made so awkward and infinitely worse when ANY lens is attached to it.

I wake up with nightmares on the awful design that is the Sony NEX. :-/

(This is my personal subjective opinion. I'm sure NEX owners out there are really happy with their cameras :-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    Maybe so. It beats me also why anyone likes the Sony NEX though. The design is rectangular like a cold piece of plastic brick. Hard to hold and so uncameralike. The shape is made so awkward and infinitely worse when ANY lens is attached to it.

I wake up with nightmares on the awful design that is the Sony NEX. :-/

(This is my personal subjective opinion. I'm sure NEX owners out there are really happy with their cameras :-D)
    Because it's a Sony. The brand itself sells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12