Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Landscape Shoot (Beginner)

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Landscape Shoot (Beginner)

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Those do go through PP yes?
    PP is done to every pic, including the ones straight out of cam... why? because even in-camera picture styles are also PP. as long as there are adjustments done to that your camera sensor captures at the RAW level, it is considered PP.

People need to realize that PP/DI (digital imaging) is part of digital photography. Even in the film days there are a lot of PP going on. Just that they happen in the darkroom. People doing dodging and burning with exposures to film paper... it is similar to dodging and burning, and exposure blending in PP. People change WB or colors of certain elements in the darkroom as well, using masks (actual physical masks) as well as color filters when exposing to color paper.

Of the pics I posted in a post above, all I did was to balance out exposures so as to get dynamic ranges into manageble range. Seriously if you detest PP so much, you should not even bother to take landscape pics. Why? Sunsets and Sunrises are scenes with very big differences in exposures between the highlights and shadows. The differences are so big that no camera/sensor technology can effectively capture that huge dynamic range in one shot. But our eyes can do it (yes they are that good). So if you are not willing to put in any work in PP to compensate for that, then sadly, you shouldn't even bother with taking any sunset/sunrise pictures.

if you want something straight out of cam... I have those also... 3 of the pics I posted above are very close to pics straight out of cam. And the following are straight out of cam too, except for resize, slight crop (or horizon levelling) and signature. And you know why they came out ok? because the sun in these cases the sun is not in direct view. The sun was hidden behind some clouds so the light is not as bright, making the scene more manageable.

This is my first landscape pic with a DSLR... a little embarrased.

Anyway, hope this last post put things in perspective.

If you still do not believe SG has nice sunrises and sunsets, then too bad. You have to go overseas to find out for yourself...

As for me, I already know. I lived in USA (in california) for 12 years and China for 6. And have travelled both countries extensively for work and play. And I have visited many many other countries in my 35+ years of my life.

Good luck in your photography journey. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th November 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

TS, you need to read this... will give you a better idea of how to plan ahead for a sunset shoot.

http://www.photosecrets.com/how-to-photograph-sunsets.html

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    PP is done to every pic, including the ones straight out of cam... why? because even in-camera picture styles are also PP. as long as there are adjustments done to that your camera sensor captures at the RAW level, it is considered PP.

People need to realize that PP/DI (digital imaging) is part of digital photography. Even in the film days there are a lot of PP going on. Just that they happen in the darkroom. People doing dodging and burning with exposures to film paper... it is similar to dodging and burning, and exposure blending in PP. People change WB or colors of certain elements in the darkroom as well, using masks (actual physical masks) as well as color filters when exposing to color paper.

Of the pics I posted in a post above, all I did was to balance out exposures so as to get dynamic ranges into manageble range. Seriously if you detest PP so much, you should not even bother to take landscape pics. Why? Sunsets and Sunrises are scenes with very big differences in exposures between the highlights and shadows. The differences are so big that no camera/sensor technology can effectively capture that huge dynamic range in one shot. But our eyes can do it (yes they are that good). So if you are not willing to put in any work in PP to compensate for that, then sadly, you shouldn't even bother with taking any sunset/sunrise pictures.

if you want something straight out of cam... I have those also... 3 of the pics I posted above are very close to pics straight out of cam. And the following are straight out of cam too, except for resize, slight crop (or horizon levelling) and signature. And you know why they came out ok? because the sun in these cases the sun is not in direct view. The sun was hidden behind some clouds so the light is not as bright, making the scene more manageable.

This is my first landscape pic with a DSLR... a little embarrased.

Anyway, hope this last post put things in perspective.

If you still do not believe SG has nice sunrises and sunsets, then too bad. You have to go overseas to find out for yourself...

As for me, I already know. I lived in USA (in california) for 12 years and China for 6. And have travelled both countries extensively for work and play. And I have visited many many other countries in my 35+ years of my life.

Good luck in your photography journey. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't really despise PP. I just believed that there is a sunset beautiful enough withouth PP used. =)
    Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Blog Entries

I don't really despise PP. I just believed that there is a sunset beautiful enough withouth PP used. =)
    Thanks for the words of wisdom!
    Like I said. PP is not used to make a sunrise/sunset more beautiful. But it is mostly used so that the beauty can be captured properly.

That's all. This is the layman's version of the message.

for the more technical version, refer to my post above.

Chill Chill...

Firstly, this is a critique corner so therefore if there's any members who hits really hard on the TS, well, just accept it and learn from it.

Secondly, photography is of personal liking. I take what i think is nice. So there's no point arguing over a small issue here.

Thirdly, just some comments from me. Your picture lacks composition. We are not going to talk about any PP if u do not like it. Maybe u can read up some rules to compose a nice landscape like the 1/3 rule etc. U may wish to use any ND filters in order to calm the water down as u can see from the picture, the irregular current in ur foreground is a bit distracting. Controlling ur shutter timing and aperture plays an important part in landscape. Maybe u can share ur settings when taking that picture with us and we can advise more on it rather than commenting on whether PP must be done. And also, capture sunset at the correct timing (just about to "hide" beyond the horizon) and u will be able to capture something nice to ur preference with no PP done.

Lastly, it takes time to learn. Make more friends from this forum and i bet u will definitely benefit from it.

Hope to see more nicely composed natural pictures coming out from you. Good luck!

PS: I'm not trying to target anyone in this thread so do not point any arrow on me...

Blog Entries

Sunsets that would be nice even without any PP done. That is MY definition and of course won't apply to all of you.
    I've seen very dramatic sunsets when I had not brought my camera out. Those red striking and evoking emotions ones. To me, that is outstanding as I was taken aback by the colour and strong feeling that it gives me, like a very strong end to a day. I'm not sure if sunsets shots taken by shooters in other countries are done without PP (they could afterall have taken those outstanding shots and did PP). However, the only difference between a sunset in Sg and in other countries is nothing to do with the sun itself. I guess a sun viewed in Singapore and say in Russia or the U.S. shouldn't be different? Else I will have to take an arrow to shoot down the 8 other suns.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    I've seen very dramatic sunsets when I had not brought my camera out. Those red striking and evoking emotions ones. To me, that is outstanding as I was taken aback by the colour and strong feeling that it gives me, like a very strong end to a day. I'm not sure if sunsets shots taken by shooters in other countries are done without PP (they could afterall have taken those outstanding shots and did PP). However, the only difference between a sunset in Sg and in other countries is nothing to do with the sun itself. I guess a sun viewed in Singapore and say in Russia or the U.S. shouldn't be different? Else I will have to take an arrow to shoot down the 8 other suns.
    i think singapore is running out of natural structure and land.. everything seems to be evolving into man-made structure and land already..

Quote Originally Posted by appleshem View Post
    i think singapore is running out of natural structure and land.. everything seems to be evolving into man-made structure and land already..
    how much of singapore have you covered, before you made this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how much of singapore have you covered, before you made this statement?
    im sorry..haha..not really alot.. im not saying singapore landscape is limited...haha..my bad..
    dont get me wrong..haha

Quote Originally Posted by appleshem View Post
    im sorry..haha..not really alot.. im not saying singapore landscape is limited...haha..my bad..
    dont get me wrong..haha
    no la, there's really, still a lot of wilderness out there.

just whether you bother to go or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12