Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

  1. #1

    Default is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    hi all , i received a email today regarding my company domain name.. at first i thought its just for clarification.. but the second mail came in and i felt i should seek second view... pls help me see if this is how the industry works.. thanks in advance

    names and company name is covered with XXX

    below is the 1st email i received,( from them is in blue)

    (If you are not in charge of this , please transfer this urgent email to your CEO. Thanks )

    Dear CEO,

    We are a leading internet consulting organization in Asia. Now we have something urgent to confirm with you. Yesterday we received a formal application from a company called Remut Investment Co., Ltd, who tried to apply for " seriousplay" as Internet Mark and following Domain Names from our organization:

    mycompany name.asia
    mycompany name.com.cn
    mycompany name.com.hk
    mycompany name.com.tw
    mycompany name.hk

    There is a check process before domain names registration. We found that the above domain names were similar to yours, so we sent email to you and expect to get your confirmation: If your company did not authorize the aforesaid company to apply for these, please confirm with us as soon as possible.

    In addition, we hereby declare the time limit for this issue is 7 workdays. If your company doesn't respond within the time, we will unconditionally approve the application submitted by Remut Investment Co., Ltd.

    Best Regards,
    his name
    Senior Examinant


    so i replied yes my company still active and i did not authorise blah blah blah ...

    and here comes the 2nd reply,

    Since your company did not authorize "Remut Investment Co., Ltd " to do this, we would suspect this company intend to preempt the domain names and do same business as yours in China/Asian market. Or perhaps they want to preempt these domains and resell them to you at rather high price in future.

    As known to all, the domain names registration is open to the public worldwide, with the principle "first come, first served". Anyone has the right to apply for any available domain name. For the reasons above, we do not have the right to reject their legitimate application. Now the only thing we can do is to offer you the preferential rights to register these domains for protection yourselves, because your company has a similar domain name " my company name.com.sg".

    If your company considers those Domain names important and necessary to be protected, please inform us in time, then we will send you a formal application form to register yourselves. Looking forward to your reply
    .


    so ... hmm how should i handle this??

  2. #2

    Default

    Dont buy. Put a disclaimer in your company's website saying your company is not affilated to the .com.asia, .com.tw, .com.cn etc

  3. #3
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Pass to your legal to handle.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  4. #4
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 18th November 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  5. #5
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default

    this is a spam mail.

    my existing company (one of the big players for payment processor like paypal) also often got this.

    just ignore them.

  6. #6
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Yeps, sounds like a fraud to me as well.

    Which company out there actually does a check on the domain names anyway???
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    Yeps, sounds like a fraud to me as well.

    Which company out there actually does a check on the domain names anyway???
    there are people who reserve domain names and sell them at higher price. people dont do things for no reason. and that reason also make them rich.

    Highest price paid for domain name:

    Business.com $7.5 million
    AsSeenOnTv.com $5.1 million
    Altavista.com $3.3 million
    Wine.com $2.9 million
    Autos.com $2.2 million
    Express.com $1.8 million
    Wallstreet.com $1m
    Rock.com $1m
    Websites.com $970,000
    Drugs.com $830,000

    and from other source:

    10. vodka.com
    $3 million

    9. wine.com
    $3.3 million

    8. korea.com
    $5 million

    7. asSeenonTV.com
    $5 million

    6. casino.com
    $5.5 million

    5. business.com
    $7.5 million

    4. diamond.com
    $7.5 million

    3. porn.com
    $9.5 million

    2. fund.com
    $10 million

    1. sex.com
    $12 million


    korea.com = 5m. singapore.com still for sales, anyone want to buy ? lol
    Last edited by ninelives; 19th November 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    Objection !!!

  8. #8

    Default

    the email is from a company that is just trying to get you to pay $$$ for the other domain names. Ignore.
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    I got something like this about 5 yrs ago ( yes it not a new con trick..it's been around for sometime).. it is a old ploy to make you panic and try to buy up all domain extension to your website name. These day it is not that hard win your own case over who owns and have the right to own the name. There are so many domain name extension.

    They are also using this as a pressure ploy to make you sign up for all those ADDITIONAL stupid domain name extension by claiming some fake companies or use domain name reselling companies to buy up those names for a cheap prices of $1.00. They will hold it for a year and gamble you are scared enough to panic and pay them to buy or buy back your domain name extensions but really DO you really need it?

    Think about it.... What do you think you will need all those additional domain name extensions for? How would holding all that domain extension help your business? This is just another way some of this opportunist are using to make money. They have been doing this for main years.. GOOGLE and you will find MANY examples of this tactic used and more. This is just a china extortionist versus those African Algerian Money Cheats.

    I ignore them all years ago and nothing has happen. I have ever confronted one of them and they replied me a few times and in pretty good English. SO I suspect maybe there is more to this then just some dumb chinese saying conman. Could be something some other race are involved in whose to say. When I told them I will check this with ICANN and other authorities to get to the heart of the matter, the emails stopped. I have tried to track them down and the name of the so called companies wanting to buy my domain name.. many don't exist or are some company that is hardly with a web presence. SCARE TACTIC PURE AND SIMPLE. DON'T FALL FOR IT. IGNORE IT.

    Edited..just to proof my point.. just google this.. http://trusted.md/feed/items/system/...#axzz15f9d5YOE

    http://www.rumblepup.com/chinese-domain-name-fraud/

    http://james.cridland.net/blog/a-new-kind-of-scam/

    http://www.firetrust.com/en/blog/chr...ain-name-scams

    I doubt you want to email and THANK THEM as someone suggested... GOOGLE is your friend.
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th November 2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: For Clarity and more info to add

  10. #10

    Default

    to say this is extortion is over-reacting. This is very common when owning a domain name. To own a .sg or .com.sg, you have to have a registered company in singapore. The cheaper is often the .com, .net ,.info etc. often if your current domain name is not simple, it is very cheap to own other domain names, less than US$20 a year. If your company's target market is includes countries outside sg, do get those countries domain name too, if it is still available. If you are only a small company targeting local market, a .com or .com.sg is good enough (anyway, a .com.sg or .sg cost at least $80 a year!).

    In fact, you should thank that company for updating you that other company is buying similar domain name. Who knows, instead of you worrying you might need to purchase the domain name (eg, yourcompany.cn) from them, they might spend a large amount to buy your domain name instead!

  11. #11

    Default

    Just ignore them !

    They are just scumbags looking for some naive carrot heads to chop.

    Don't entertain them or you will get more rubbish from them.

    You can put the disclaimers on your website if you are a bit concerned but it is not necessary.


  12. #12

    Default

    Anyway, if is real and legal company, they will use mail, not email rite? Cannot even afford to send you a mail as official document, just ignore.

  13. #13

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    smell fraud. stay away, dun waste your time. Mark all their mails as spam.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,701

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    i got this type of mails too . . . i don't even bother to reply . . .

    if they want my domain then we talk . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  15. #15

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    thanks for everyone's input.. yap like many suggested here, its a common ploy for companies like that to gain profit , the best thing is to ignore them..

    and if really out there is a company out there usinge same domain name that's .cn or .hk... can i do some legal actions againest them??

  16. #16

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I got something like this about 5 yrs ago ( yes it not a new con trick..it's been around for sometime).. it is a old ploy to make you panic and try to buy up all domain extension to your website name. These day it is not that hard win your own case over who owns and have the right to own the name. There are so many domain name extension.

    They are also using this as a pressure ploy to make you sign up for all those ADDITIONAL stupid domain name extension by claiming some fake companies or use domain name reselling companies to buy up those names for a cheap prices of $1.00. They will hold it for a year and gamble you are scared enough to panic and pay them to buy or buy back your domain name extensions but really DO you really need it?

    Think about it.... What do you think you will need all those additional domain name extensions for? How would holding all that domain extension help your business? This is just another way some of this opportunist are using to make money. They have been doing this for main years.. GOOGLE and you will find MANY examples of this tactic used and more. This is just a china extortionist versus those African Algerian Money Cheats.

    I ignore them all years ago and nothing has happen. I have ever confronted one of them and they replied me a few times and in pretty good English. SO I suspect maybe there is more to this then just some dumb chinese saying conman. Could be something some other race are involved in whose to say. When I told them I will check this with ICANN and other authorities to get to the heart of the matter, the emails stopped. I have tried to track them down and the name of the so called companies wanting to buy my domain name.. many don't exist or are some company that is hardly with a web presence. SCARE TACTIC PURE AND SIMPLE. DON'T FALL FOR IT. IGNORE IT.

    Edited..just to proof my point.. just google this.. http://trusted.md/feed/items/system/...#axzz15f9d5YOE

    http://www.rumblepup.com/chinese-domain-name-fraud/

    http://james.cridland.net/blog/a-new-kind-of-scam/

    http://www.firetrust.com/en/blog/chr...ain-name-scams

    I doubt you want to email and THANK THEM as someone suggested... GOOGLE is your friend.
    thanks for the link .. its really helpful for me to show other partners

  17. #17
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    thanks for everyone's input.. yap like many suggested here, its a common ploy for companies like that to gain profit , the best thing is to ignore them..

    and if really out there is a company out there usinge same domain name that's .cn or .hk... can i do some legal actions againest them??
    unless u trademark your business, maybe i guess.

  18. #18
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: is this approprate or is this consider extortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    thanks for everyone's input.. yap like many suggested here, its a common ploy for companies like that to gain profit , the best thing is to ignore them..

    and if really out there is a company out there usinge same domain name that's .cn or .hk... can i do some legal actions against them??
    There are now ways around it. In the early days of the internet, domain name squatting is rampant and hard to control. But in recent years, the law where intellectual property, domain name litigation..etc are a lot more better. If you Google about more you will find, there has been no end of success with original brand owner stopping or take back their namesake in domain name and also to distance yourself from other site with the same domain name BUT differing extensions. ..(eg.. .cn, .hk, .tv,...etc) So long you have proof of ownership and the business you run can be established.etc ( there are a few procedures which I can't recall at this time as I no longer am running my former companies 5 websites...yes I have encounters alot of this dodo in all the years and worst as I have hong kong website to maintain so ya they are quick to get at my company's websites)

    Also like another forummer here recommend, you can add footnote to your website as a safety clause that your company is only maintain this one particular website ( example xxx.com.sg or xxx.com ) and that you do not have any other affiliations with other domain extension..etc. If they come across any other website pretending to be your company or partly connected to it, your company can not be held responsible for it. And if they can forward you the information then you take action against those losers. Usually it will rarely happen that they will set up a website entirely to look like you and sell or offering something close to what you are doing. These are squatters. .. they only have the means to scare you ..to buildup numerous site to get at you for some domain fee.. it is not worth it. But someone who is out to steal your business well in that case you have a strong case to sue them and get some lawyer to take action by getting in touch with their regions authority. The game has change quite a bit lah. They know it but they are still trying to catch the odd gullible fool. Trust me...there are a lot still out there. Fools and baddies.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •