Thread: Chance for company to build up archive OR expose talents?

Default Chance for company to build up archive OR expose talents?

Hey guys,

I've been asked to shoot an event by "XYZ" Company (big singapore online magazine company that can't be named) at a club in Singapore for 4 hours and give them processed shots. I will receive no cash compensation for this though, instead I will be exposed through their website by having my credits and portfolio there. They mentioned as well that other professional photographers they engaged previously have not taken cash compensation from them and were fine with just being exposed.

My question is that are they just doing this so that they can build up their archive or are they fair enough towards me to expose me properly?

Advice would be greatlyyyyy appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by shmokeajoint View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been asked to shoot an event by "XYZ" Company (big singapore online magazine company that can't be named) at a club in Singapore for 4 hours and give them processed shots. I will receive no cash compensation for this though, instead I will be exposed through their website by having my credits and portfolio there. They mentioned as well that other professional photographers they engaged previously have not taken cash compensation from them and were fine with just being exposed.

My question is that are they just doing this so that they can build up their archive or are they fair enough towards me to expose me properly?

Advice would be greatlyyyyy appreciated!
    Of course, they are using "free" photography service to get some of the images for their archive but do you think they have given you enough "exposure"?

The question is, do you see this as opportunity? or if this is the area you want to go into?

If yes, go ahead... if not, then there are many thing else you can do....

Regards,

Hart

If the company is as big as what u have mentioned, then why not?
    Do negotiate on the space u will get on their websites. Like can u put ur company name? How long the website will be up, etc,...

In terms of fairness, only u can gauge.
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Maybe you can check on the online magazine site and look at the previous photographers, do you think they become more famous after the shoot?

Or look at it this way.... supposedly they going pay for it, how much would it cost, and use that amount, see if you can do better marketing for yourself than the magazine can provide?

Default Re: Chance for company to build up archive OR expose talents?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberTron88 View Post
    Maybe you can check on the online magazine site and look at the previous photographers, do you think they become more famous after the shoot?

Or look at it this way.... supposedly they going pay for it, how much would it cost, and use that amount, see if you can do better marketing for yourself than the magazine can provide?

Indirectly it means the site is trading the ads space with your service. Just gauge yourself whether it's worth it or not.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Check the site to see if there are other photographers' credit and portfolio there and if you're OK with the kind of/amount of credit and portfolio given. If Ok, than go ahead.
    Personnally, I don't think any professional photographer worth their salt will agreed to such arrangement, freelance photographer, maybe.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Companies like these will regularly leverage on their ability to provide exposure on their platform to gain free services. It's their way of saving costs using the barter trade system. If you feel that you can benefit a great deal for your portfolio and acknowledgment of your works on the magazine, then it's worth a try. Then again, how often do readers actually read the credits?

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Companies like these will regularly leverage on their ability to provide exposure on their platform to gain free services. It's their way of saving costs using the barter trade system. If you feel that you can benefit a great deal for your portfolio and acknowledgment of your works on the magazine, then it's worth a try. Then again, how often do readers actually read the credits?
    I second that, and some additional points for your considerations.

Credits doesn't means much to a photographer's time and effort. Let's be practical about it, the company would not pay u for the next event or refer you as a good photographer to another company. But they would definitely talk about the free photography service they gotten through the means and methods they have used to gain such benefits. The worst would be if the photographs turn out bad, you have all type of responsibilities over it with the company smearing your work. This is all humane.

But if you decide to take their job, better do it properly and don't give them a chance to talk bad about photographers.

Thanks guys for all of voicing your different opinions, after much contemplation, I decided to not go ahead with the project as I saw the imbalance of the benefits I would receive for doing the event for them. I personally feel that the credits would not do much good to me as not many would actually find out more about the Photographer of the (example) Product, as the norm is to find out more about the Product. Hence the "exposure" I am supposed to receive is negligible, am I right to say this?

Funny thing was that they called me back the next day, not to question my response on the project given but to offer me another interview as an in house photographer. I found this action to be very puzzling but I figured that it'd worth a try and would probably look good on my CV.

A so call BIG online magazine trying to "leech" photographers for free jobs in exchange for "credits" does not sound like a good place to work in?

If they have in house photographer in the first place, why are they looking for you before that? If they do not have a in house photographer before that, and depending on free photographers, how much would they suddenly pay for the in house photographer?

hmm...but anyway, no harm going for an interview. Just keep options open I guess