Thread: Canon EF-S 17-85mm VS Canon EF-S 18-135mm?

Default Canon EF-S 17-85mm VS Canon EF-S 18-135mm?

Hi everyone, I am new to photography, need some opinions and feedback from the pros out there

I'm thinking to get either Canon EF-S 17-85mm or Canon EF-S 18-135, any advise? which will perform better in term of sharpness and etc for just this 2 lens if compared?

I'm looking for a longer focal length for my general purpose lens apart from kit lens EF-S 18-55mm.

Looking for more comments to help me decide, thanks

if u looking for longer focal length, why not look at the 55-250 IS, u can still keep ya 18-55, a cheap solution,
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

i think about that before, but for general purpose lens, i am thinking if i can still take wider angle such as 17 or 18mm but still able to get a bit longer focal length compare to 18-55mm, it's still not so troublesome to keep changing lens, for e.g. 55-250mm starts from 55mm, but if those 18-135mm or 17-85mm starts from 17/18mm, is my thinking wrong/not good??

but if those 18-135mm or 17-85mm starts from 17/18mm, is my thinking wrong/not good??
    In terms of optics, the number of lens elements and complexity involved in building a lens with a very broad focal range (eg 18-200mm) is much greater as compared to a one with a narrower range eg 17-55mm. Thus, in the former, image quality will be compromised. Problems commonly associated with lenses with broad focal lengths, is that there is bound to have some sort of distortion (eg pincushioning) at certain focal lengths. Sometimes, CA might be a problem, but it depends on the individual lens. I was told that lenses with more than 3-4 times zoom (eg longest focal length minus shortest focal length. in the case of 18-200mm, it will be 200/18=11.1 times) cannot sustain very good optics throughout their focal lengths. Its a physics and optics problem. So with current technology, its advisable to have multiple lenses, each covering a different focal length - hence the advantage of having a DSLR - lenses are interchangable. This is just my 2 cents worth, I'm not exactly a pro, but hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kkpkkp View Post
    i think about that before, but for general purpose lens, i am thinking if i can still take wider angle such as 17 or 18mm but still able to get a bit longer focal length compare to 18-55mm, it's still not so troublesome to keep changing lens, for e.g. 55-250mm starts from 55mm, but if those 18-135mm or 17-85mm starts from 17/18mm, is my thinking wrong/not good??
    its neither right or wrong anyways, why dont u google the review of both lenses u seek, from there u can at least judge which is best for u,
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Hi everyone, I am new to photography, need some opinions and feedback from the pros out there

I'm thinking to get either Canon EF-S 17-85mm or Canon EF-S 18-135, any advise? which will perform better in term of sharpness and etc for just this 2 lens if compared?

I'm looking for a longer focal length for my general purpose lens apart from kit lens EF-S 18-55mm.

You can start with reviews that can be found online.
    EF-S 17-85
    EF-S 18-135
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by d-popotamus View Post
    In terms of optics, the number of lens elements and complexity involved in building a lens with a very broad focal range (eg 18-200mm) is much greater as compared to a one with a narrower range eg 17-55mm. Thus, in the former, image quality will be compromised. Problems commonly associated with lenses with broad focal lengths, is that there is bound to have some sort of distortion (eg pincushioning) at certain focal lengths. Sometimes, CA might be a problem, but it depends on the individual lens. I was told that lenses with more than 3-4 times zoom (eg longest focal length minus shortest focal length. in the case of 18-200mm, it will be 200/18=11.1 times) cannot sustain very good optics throughout their focal lengths. Its a physics and optics problem. So with current technology, its advisable to have multiple lenses, each covering a different focal length - hence the advantage of having a DSLR - lenses are interchangable. This is just my 2 cents worth, I'm not exactly a pro, but hope this helps.
    Are you really sure about this?

i already google and read review on both lens, mayb i'm dumb or understand quite well, i don't know how to choose, i thought mayb those into photography for some time, might can advise me better, some ppl out there who are a little deep $$ in the pocket might just buy, and test use it, if not statisfied can re-sell, i'm a little tight on $$, so hope i will not decide wrongly, hehe

for e.g. tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is quite a good choice in term of quality not so bad compare to canon lens but price wise cheaper

so, like for higher focal length lens, i'm not sure what to go for.

a less expensive way is to get a second hand lens. Provided you know how to examine and test the lens. If you are not that happy with it, sell it away with minimal lost since it is 2nd hand.

Default Re: Canon EF-S 17-85mm VS Canon EF-S 18-135mm?

two of the lens are great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Are you really sure about this?
    True for the the kit lenses being discussed. Largely true for third party lenses too.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Of course, my comparison is based on when you compare to dedicated telephoto lenses.
    I've used the 18-135 before, and CA is bad at the longer end when you try to blow up for posters.

Thanks guys for all the great comments

True for the the kit lenses being discussed. Largely true for third party lenses too.

Of course, my comparison is based on when you compare to dedicated telephoto lenses.
    I've used the 18-135 before, and CA is bad at the longer end when you try to blow up for posters.
    and what do you mean by dedicated telephoto lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    and what do you mean by dedicated telephoto lenses?
    For instance, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM? Or 300 prime?
    But of course, I'm comparing only quality alone not price.

since u r looking for a longer focal length for general purpose lens, go for EF-S18-135mm.
    I just bought this lens today, very good price! only $401.80! better than ur kit lens for sure!

For instance, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM? Or 300 prime?
    But of course, I'm comparing only quality alone not price.
    You sure these are dedicated telephoto lenses? Since when did we mention anything about price?