View Poll Results: Which do you prefer if you're cash strapped?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a Canon 50D, and a kit I

6 18.18%
  • Buy a 400D, and L lenses

27 81.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Which do you think is more important, the body or the lens?

Default POLL: Which do you think is more important, the body or the lens?

There was an argument over at Services Wanted about lens being more important or vice versa... I want to know your opinions...

Good Body, and Good Lens.

Good Body and OK Lens = So So Only

OK Body and Good Lens = So So Only

OK Body and OK Lens + Very Good Skills =
    Think fast, aim for the best !

My opinion is that you should do a search to look for the numerous previous polls we have had on this.
    Alpha

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by arikyeo View Post
    There was an argument over at Services Wanted about lens being more important or vice versa... I want to know your opinions...
    There was a thread some time ago with the same topic.Both are equally important...

get the best of both . . . and you won't be wrong . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

I would generally lean towards getting better lenses, but I don't like the choice of body.
    IMHO the 550D after the price decrease is an over-achiever and good enough. Spend more an lenses and be happy when your shots come out razor sharp.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

it depends.

important for WHAT?

what are you shooting?

are you assuming that the user knows how to use both?

You missed out one option if you are cash strapped... pawn all your camera equipment and don't bother.

I think you do not understand what the TS post inside his thread.

He is asking the candidates need to own and use a mid RANGE zoom lens, as in the Focal Length Zoom lens is from wide angle to mid tele. Not mid price range zoom lens.

I do not see the TS is asking for any low-end lens, you need to read carefully before you start anything.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Which do you think is more important, the body or the lens?
    Neither. Photographer is most important.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Neither. Photographer is most important.
    Hahaha, fully agree.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    I would generally lean towards getting better lenses, but I don't like the choice of body.
    IMHO the 550D after the price decrease is an over-achiever and good enough. Spend more an lenses and be happy when your shots come out razor sharp.

self marketing....no point having gear and experience if dont know how to market yourself properly to generate revenue.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    self marketing....no point having gear and experience if dont know how to market yourself properly to generate revenue.
    What do you mean by that?

Default Re: POLL: Which do you think is more important, the body or the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    not everyone is a bigshot professional photographer like you, reportage, hence revenue generation is not our primary concern.

Strictly based on the two options in the poll, i can do a lot better with the 400D+L lenses over the any body with a kit lens. In general the most effective use of money is to spend it on the weakest link. If it was a D30 (one's of Canon's earliest bodies), then i might choose the 50D+kit lens. That camera practically requires manual focusing. Any camera body made after the 10D has enough juice, unless there is a specific need for very fast frame rates or focus-tracking.

Btw, "400D+L lenses" is kinda vague. A full arsenal of L lenses would cost many times over the 50D+kit, so the comparison is a little invalid if money/result ratio is the chief concern.
    Last edited by ST1100; 19th November 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Can I be naughty and say it's my own "body" and my own "lens" = "eyes"?? You need to have an agile body to keep up mah + your own eyes to see creatively...No??

I think, if you are experience enuf to shoot an event, you will and would have the appropriate lens to suit the event?
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

Hi, The complete system is good lens+good body+good skill+good eyesight+steady hand +luck (10%) = ideal IQ

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, The complete system is good lens+good body+good skill+good eyesight+steady hand +luck (10%) = ideal IQ
    Of course... but what if you are extremely cash-strapped?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast