Thread: Lifespan of a camera... ...

Question Lifespan of a camera... ...

Hi,

How long should the lifespan of a camera be? I believe that there is a lifespan for LCD screen, Shutter, Sensors, etc right?

pro series slrs can last to 10 years and some more years...u can see 10yr old eos1 at tcw. they r still clicking away.

Since you are buying technology, LCD will be deemer like notebook screen and even crt monitor, sensor will be less sensitive to color and maybe some dead pixels. Even if they hold up sell, after 10yrs yr top of the model technology marvel will feel like technology from stone age and plentyful cheap entry model in the market now make you wanna spend on a new one.

Just see how mobile phone, computers we spent before. That's technology and cannot be avoided. Noone will care that you paid a sherry 286 for $6k and a Motorola Microtec for $3k.

But then I still use a camera build in 1975 for most of my photography today.
    Last edited by whoelse; 19th June 2004 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    pro series slrs can last to 10 years and some more years...u can see 10yr old eos1 at tcw. they r still clicking away.
    You are talking about film camera.
    A digital camera will not last as long as a electronics film camera as there are many more electronics components like CCDs, LCD screens....
    I would say the max life is about 5 years and after that I don't think any manufactuer will reproduce a 2 mega-pixels CCD specially for a defective digital camera after the product reaches product-life.
    If you are talking about lasting camera, a good mechnical camera are able to last you a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies...
    So does anyone here notice a decrease in performance in their digi cameras after about 2 years? If yes, state the model and maybe we can open up more discussions about it...

Film camera body - last as long as you want to use it. The cost of film, developing and so forth would cost more than 10 times or more of your camera. My last manual camera lasted me 15 years and it is still working fine.

dSLR - due to the shooting style called GPMG, or machine gun shooting, the shutter might wear out or some other components. And watch out for the depreciation of dSLR, or for that matter digicams - faster than those slides in the playground.

Lenses - pro level lenses are very long lasting. We still see those MF lenses in the used-gear shops around and many early models of AF lenses that are still in good shape. So, I do not hesitate in getting sound well-built lenses that do have too much electronics in them like VR, IS, AF-S, USM, HSM, etc. For me, just the good old simple AF lens.

... depends on the photographer ...

Depends. It last longer in a sealed box.

Hmm... So according to you guys here, how much time do you think it takes a Digi cam to drop in its performance considering that it is used twice a week, clean regularly, store in dry box when not in use??

Quote Originally Posted by wenx
    Hi,

How long should the lifespan of a camera be? I believe that there is a lifespan for LCD screen, Shutter, Sensors, etc right?
    my eos-50 is coming to 8 yrs old now. it went for surgical operations 2 years ago....and had one of the shutter changed, battery cover change, film cover change, etc etc. it is currently back in canon service centre for repairs to the build-in flash

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    Depends. It last longer in a sealed box.
    You are dead wrong! A camera that is in a sealed box for long period of time will have problems like gears lube drying out and etc.
    It is best to **** and fire the camera regularly to prevent the lube from drying out if you don't use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by wenx
    Hmm... So according to you guys here, how much time do you think it takes a Digi cam to drop in its performance considering that it is used twice a week, clean regularly, store in dry box when not in use??
    A camera used twice a week can clock 3000 releases or it can also be used to take 2 shots. So how do you use your camera?

Default Why worry about durability?

For the pros, they used pro equipment that are designed for pro use. For the rest of us, even amateur equipment last much longer than we would keep them becos we are all tempted by new, cool and swell equipment that arrives in the market and so, we all fall prey to more expensive stuff that do not take better pictures! New stuff just make the picture taking faster, easier and more convenient.

Just look at some of the recent technology like IS, VR, AF-S, USM. After a while, they become standard items. For digital, we have more and more pixel.

So back to durability - quality stuff last longer than we need them to. So, just enjoy shooting as much as you want, and have fun along the way. BTW, it is common to see people selling after using only for a few days, and not in terms of years.

digital technology advances, ~5yrs or so, u get obsolete.

plastic camera and lens bodies, ~50yrs or so only. plastics oxidised...brittle... and then crack.

plastic body electroplated with metallic coatings...worst. because they get oxidised even more easily, otherwise how to get electroplated in the assembly line???

metallic...stainless, aluminium or titanium body film cameras and lenses...last a life time.

Quote Originally Posted by boochap
    metallic...stainless, aluminium or titanium body film cameras and lenses...last a life time.
    I've used lenses that are 50+ years old, and man, I wish they make new lenses like those- solid build and superb handling.

That's why Leica prices just keep appreciating. Doesn't matter if it is a perceived value, but the fact is, some of the good condition ones can fetch two times more than the price tag when they were sitting in the shops.

How much do you think a D2h or 1D MkII is going to cost in 2 years time?

Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    How much do you think a D2h or 1D MkII is going to cost in 2 years time?
    u pay for the technology for a D2h or 1D MkII or the E1, not for the built.

there is virtually nothing much in the optics to improve, thus the so called technology advances rely on the fanciful electronic functions that make u pay as u shoot...while the cycle repeats every year as newer models or standard emerge.