Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

  1. #21

    Default

    Superb lens compared to the VR1.. if you use the lens with a TC, the improvements will be much more oblivious..The improvements justify the extra $$$ over the VR1 IMHO..

    Likes the
    -Better IQ as in contrast, color and sharpness
    -Faster AF speed (both with and wo T/C)
    -Much more effective VR system

    Dislikes the
    -Hood (not big enough and rounded)
    -Shape (not as slim and easy to hold like the VR1)
    -No Focus-lock buttons

  2. #22
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    Superb lens compared to the VR1.. if you use the lens with a TC, the improvements will be much more oblivious..The improvements justify the extra $$$ over the VR1 IMHO..

    Likes the
    -Better IQ as in contrast, color and sharpness
    -Faster AF speed (both with and wo T/C)
    -Much more effective VR system

    Dislikes the
    -Hood (not big enough and rounded)
    -Shape (not as slim and easy to hold like the VR1)
    -No Focus-lock buttons
    Are you on TC20E III at the moment? I've tried it at NSC - AF speed seems really fast. Considering it for longer reaches...

    I know about the Hood dislikes, but never realise the shape and no FL button issues, as I've never tested with the VR1..
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th November 2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Are you on TC20E III at the moment? I've tried it at NSC - AF speed seems really fast. Considering it for longer reaches...

    I know about the Hood dislikes, but never realise the shape and no FL button issues, as I've never tested with the VR1..
    Nope... the TC20E III + the VR2 results is not to my expectation. The 20EIII I am using the TC1.7EII... image is sharp wide open.. The Hood is not much of a problem just that it cannot stand on the table with the hood on thus changing lenses abit troublesome.

  4. #24
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    Nope... the TC20E III + the VR2 results is not to my expectation. The 20EIII I am using the TC1.7EII... image is sharp wide open.. The Hood is not much of a problem just that it cannot stand on the table with the hood on thus changing lenses abit troublesome.
    Could you elaborate what you meant by "not to my expectation"? Image quality deteoriation?

    Yes, I wouldn't use the hood to rest on flat surface while changing lenses - Photozone.de warned about this. There should be an aftermarket replacement for it right?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th November 2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  5. #25

    Default

    Been reading this thread with interest since I am thinking of getting one.

    Hmm... I heard this lense is better with 1.7II rather than 2.0III, and looks like that's the general consensus on TC for this lense.

  6. #26
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Food for thought:

    http://mansurovs.com/nikon-70-200mm-vr-ii-review/5

    With TC III...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  7. #27

    Default

    Question is... is TC 20III widely available?!?! Maybe the best is to pop by NSC and test it out.. assuming they have them there.

  8. #28
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Question is... is TC 20III widely available?!?! Maybe the best is to pop by NSC and test it out.. assuming they have them there.
    I've been there TWO times messing around with the TC III... you can't miss it.... Widely available? Urm... I've been able to confirm a few places (LOCALLY) with stock.... However, be prepared... Mark III is Nikon's MOST expensive TC at the moment...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th November 2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Could you elaborate what you meant by "not to my expectation"? Image quality deteoriation?

    Yes, I wouldn't use the hood to rest on flat surface while changing lenses - Photozone.de warned about this. There should be an aftermarket replacement for it right?
    The TCe2.0 III's IQ is about the same as the II except the corner sharpness is better. Wide open the IQ is soft need to stop down to at least f8 or more. The III is better suit with primes like 200mm F2, 300mm f2/8, 400mm F2.8 etc..

  10. #30
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    The TCe2.0 III's IQ is about the same as the II except the corner sharpness is better. Wide open the IQ is soft need to stop down to at least f8 or more. The III is better suit with primes like 200mm F2, 300mm f2/8, 400mm F2.8 etc..
    Sorry, and you have personally tested the III yourself?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  11. #31
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default


    Image taken from here: http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fiel...c_series3.html

    I don't intend to use the TC III combo in low light conditions (no point anyways), so in sufficiently bright light I think using F8 is not that big an issue...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  12. #32

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    You guys are right, will be going down to NSC to test the combo out.
    I do plan to use the TC2 or TC3, in the future.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  13. #33
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    I love the 2x TCE III with the 70-200 VR II (for those times I'm too lazy to take out the 200-400 VR II and the 200 f/2 VR II). The VR II is really amazing. All shot handheld.








  14. #34
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?








  15. #35
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    Wah... thanks for the nice images!

    Can't wait for next year's action pack events, whatever that comes our way!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  16. #36

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    So it does works well with TC2.0III then? So, why when I asked around, all say use it with 1.7II?!??! Sigh... Anyway, will head down to NSC to try it, when I get the chance. Must make the move by Mar 2011.

  17. #37
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    So it does works well with TC2.0III then? So, why when I asked around, all say use it with 1.7II?!??! Sigh... Anyway, will head down to NSC to try it, when I get the chance. Must make the move by Mar 2011.
    Trying it in NSC (HANDHELD) will not work coz it's too low light to test it there (you'll end up using high ISO which will screw up your testing)... I'd suggest you bring the tripod along to test it using ISO 100/200.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 20th November 2010 at 12:55 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  18. #38
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?



    My weak attempt with the combo testing... 400mm, f/5.6, handheld... Soft or not, you decide for yourself. Focused on the head. No sharpening, just light up a little, contrast a wee bit...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 20th November 2010 at 01:08 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  19. #39
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    So it does works well with TC2.0III then? So, why when I asked around, all say use it with 1.7II?!??! Sigh... Anyway, will head down to NSC to try it, when I get the chance. Must make the move by Mar 2011.
    I'm not sure who you are asking, but it depends who you ask, would it not? Best to experience for yourself instead of listening to hearsay.

  20. #40

    Default Re: What are your views on the Nikon 70-200VR II?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    So it does works well with TC2.0III then? So, why when I asked around, all say use it with 1.7II?!??! Sigh... Anyway, will head down to NSC to try it, when I get the chance. Must make the move by Mar 2011.
    Thought those pics posted here are using TC2.0 III? Or am i wrong..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •