Thread: What is F-stop

Default What is F-stop

As I was reading the spec of x1.4 Teleconverter for DSLR camera, it mention that this unit will "Reduces lens aperture by one f-stop", would appreciate anyone can enlighten me what is it? what is the effect and what need to be done during photo shoot?

Example: Nikon D70 with AF50mm F1.8 lense and AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II. Does it mean the F1.8 becomes F2.8? Will the camera able to auto adjust?

Thanks in advance.

you may want to check if the teleconverter is compatible with your lens to begin with...
    happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by poh6702
    As I was reading the spec of x1.4 Teleconverter for DSLR camera, it mention that this unit will "Reduces lens aperture by one f-stop", would appreciate anyone can enlighten me what is it? what is the effect and what need to be done during photo shoot?

Example: Nikon D70 with AF50mm F1.8 lense and AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II. Does it mean the F1.8 becomes F2.8? Will the camera able to auto adjust?

Thanks in advance.
    a 1.4x tc will reduce yr effective f-stop (aperture) by 1.4 times (1 stop). so eg. if u set the aperture to f2.8, times by 1.4 it becomes a f4. if u set at f4, it becomes a f5.6. in other words u'll b shooting at f5.6 instead of f4 when the tc is fitted.

similiarly for a 2x tc it doubles the f-stop. from f2.8 it becomes f5.6. however do ensure the tc is compatible for use with yr lens. otherwise it will not function properly. on some lens & tc combos u will lose yr AF ability as well.

hope this helps.

Thanks, but what will happen to shooting, will the camera know that it is fitted with Teleconverter? For example if I am using F2.8 Lense, the camera will show max F4, right? The camera should know and I will not end up with wrong exposure?

Thanks

this is because the focal lenght has change....thus the difference in "effective f-stops"

camera auto adjust i take it to mean metering...if ya cam has TTL metering....no prob...the metering will still be correct if u follow the cam's build in system

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    camera auto adjust i take it to mean metering...if ya cam has TTL metering....no prob...the metering will still be correct if u follow the cam's build in system
    bearing in mind that the TC is compatible with the lens used of course. no guarantees for third-party brands, especially when used cross-brand (e.g. Nikon lens, sigma TC, and vice versa).