Thread: Group photo

Default Group photo

Hi all

M having sum problem taking group photo. well, firstly me a newbie so i hope to get more tips from pros out there. Its like tis,

When I took a group photo, lets say 5 ppl. Well, i normaly focus on the eye of the centre person before snap. bt it turn out that ony the centre person wud get a sharp pic while the rest kind of blur. not so blur unless u zoom in.

Wud appreciate if u could share sum tips or maybe an advice for newbie like me.

Or is the setting wrong.. cANT remember the setting.

Hope to hear frm all pros out there soon.

Cheers

Default Re: Group photo

1. Do a search for "group photo". Lots of good information already posted.
    2. Read your manual, specifically the sections about aperture and depth of field.
    3. Stop down your aperture to about f/8 or f/11.
    Alpha

it could possibly be a case of wrong settings..

your depth of field is too shallow.. resulting in people away from the plane of focus to be out of focus...

as Raskae has suggested.. try increasing the aperture..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

I'm not sure about what you mean by blur, as there are people here who considers a tiny bit of blur is blur, and people like me who accepts some blur, and still counts the image as "sharp"

which are you referring to?

In my opinion, who don't need tack sharp images, can live with f3.2 or f3.5 in a 2 row group shot using between 17-24mm of the focal length. Or use soft skills to overcome limitations of technology: eg ask them to pack closer, ask the back row to come closer to the front row, or ask the back to lean forward/trust their faces forward between 'holes'.

if you can't control the camera, control the people.

Group photo 5 pax, at about 20-30mm (assuming cropped bodies) with all the people in 1 line and critical framing, about f4 aperture can already. If you are afraid of some misfocus/cannot check fast enough then f5.6 gives you insurance. Say 8 pax but standing in 2 rows, f5.6 is good, if not f8 for added insurance.

For me, 24mm on crop body with 5 pax, nowadays I will quite a number of times try to control them to stand in one straight line first and then curve the sides in somewhat (same time as them to angle body in 45 deg for the shoulders, nicer). Then I will take at f1.4-f2.
    Assuming you will not print > 6R, usage of resolution above 2000x1333. (approx 200dpi print res) That's plenty for a 24" Full HD res.
    You will get serious background visiblity, so you may want to balance the flash output with the WB of ambient. (amber flash gels for incandescent ambient)
    Last edited by 2100; 17th November 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farid1980 View Post
    Or is the setting wrong.. cANT remember the setting.
    The settings are stored in your images. It's called EXIF data, can be viewed by all decent image viewers or M$ Windows in Explorer, under File Properties.
    EOS

its easy to assume the distance between camera to subjects is the same as if u use a point and shoot. At the same distance, u prob need to use a very wide setting which can make the features of ppl on the side abit unflattering. Don't be afraid to stand further back and use 35mm if on dx crop body. If u find F5.6 onwards is too dark prob u need a flash which is why most wedding photographers use flash when they take pics of grp shots during dinner hehe (another pandora box opened)

a range of 4 to 5.6 for aperture would be good enough. Less demanding on the flash too.

If its 2 rows of people, try to make the 2 rows stand closer to each other. This will help in the DOF.

Summary
    1.) Increase ur aperture.
    2.) If too dark, lower the shuttle speed.
    3.) If too dark, increase ISO.
    4.) Still too dark? get a flash.
    try asking the group to stand in a row.

If all fails, then just shoot individual portraits... rather than a group shot... enjoy~~~
    Last edited by Ferderico; 20th November 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Change to AV mode, shoot between f/8 - f/11

Quote Originally Posted by Ferderico View Post
    2.) If too dark, lower the shuttle speed.
    It is shutter speed. Please don't mix up these two things.
    The speed of the NASA shuttles in space still is completely irrelevant for photography down at the surface of the Earth.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It is shutter speed. Please don't mix up these two things.
    The speed of the NASA shuttles in space still is completely irrelevant for photography down at the surface of the Earth.
    So so funny.

Great!! I see that TS posted a question 6 days ago and probably never want to come back to the thread again after getting lectured by the pros