Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: which motherboard should I choose?

  1. #1
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default which motherboard should I choose?

    I am thinking of upgrading my system to i7, therefore a new motherboard must come into the picture.

    Which is the most reliable and recommended one?

    So far, my friend of two, recommend Asus and Intel.

    My main purpose: Production - Audio Video and of course photo editing.
    Gaming - a little.

    Just wondering if you all care to give some inputs.

  2. #2

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Go check the buyers guides on HWZ forums. They normally only pick the reliable stuff.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    you cant go wrong with gigabyte and Asus.
    Objection !!!

  4. #4
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    I have been using Asus for 4 years.. very steady

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    I have been using Asus for 4 years.. very steady
    my asus just failed after 4 years , some hiccup with booting before that.

    so for me, i would say any reputable brand like intel, gigabyte, asus are good, the rest depends on luck

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    A shop on 6th sty of SLS selling MSI motherboards cater to i7.

  7. #7

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    evga sr2.

  8. #8

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    my asus just failed after 4 years , some hiccup with booting before that.
    lol 4 yrs...... 1 yr already consider old, technology moving so fast. it is time for you to upgrade...
    Objection !!!

  9. #9

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    How reliable is a motherboard also depends on the expertise of the person installing from the time it is removed from the antistatic bag.

  10. #10

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    gigabyte gets my vote. very reliable

  11. #11

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    last time i would say gigabyte, asus, intel, msi.
    But after using gigabyte and msi, i would think so so only as i had failures/glitches with each one a few months after i bought them.

    asus and intel i never use before but ppl say its good, esp intel.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    lol 4 yrs...... 1 yr already consider old, technology moving so fast. it is time for you to upgrade...
    thats is if im rich... and then again, motherboard is probably the last part of a system that you would want to upgrade.

  13. #13
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    I am currently on Lan Party mobo.

    I know Asus is good, so as for Intel. Just that I do not know which is a reliable to choose from though I know some times, it really depend on luck.

    The most important things are: eSata, USB3.0, Firewire

  14. #14

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    no more lan party mobos

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    I am thinking of upgrading my system to i7, therefore a new motherboard must come into the picture.

    Which is the most reliable and recommended one?

    So far, my friend of two, recommend Asus and Intel.

    My main purpose: Production - Audio Video and of course photo editing.
    Gaming - a little.

    Just wondering if you all care to give some inputs.
    I have been building my own PCs for 15 odd yrs and till the last 5 yrs, I have always stand by Asus all this time. Beside building my own PCs, I use to make some money and at the same time as a hobby, build alot of PC for for others especially for offices which rely on reliable systems that last long and remain as problem free as possible. The oldest Asus mother system I had was one a friend of my has in his office. 6 yrs and still going strong using the same software since he has no need to upgrade the it, the hardware remains the same is fine. The fact of the matter is..these days the power of the PC has far exceeded majority of users. The only people who need the raw power of newer CPUs are really the power user who does heavy work on it like designing, gamming and multimedia work for example. But if you are just surfing and doing word processing..etc. even a 5 yr old PC hardware is more then enough.

    Coming back to your topic... I still vote heavily on Asus with seconds priorities going to Gigabyte and MSI. But of course...anyone telling you that your mobo and CPU is all that matters in making a great AND stable system is being naive. You need to be well aware that other component plays just as important a part too.

  16. #16

    Default

    and dont be so stringy when getting a mainboard coz when it is faulty, it will be very troublesome, you need to remove everything:

    PSU, CPU, RAM, graphic card or any other PCIx cards, HDDs, all your cables, your cooling devices and etc...

    basically you have to remove all components just to get the mainboard service or exchange.

    other components you can get cheap one, if it spoil just plug it out. RAM i usually buy cheapo and good one, Kingston. mainboard i always stick to asus and gigabyte and they are slightly expensive compare to other brands.

    pay a little bit more, else you will have nightmare and headaches. i built my PC since 10 yrs ago and it is easier than server, since server is hot-swappable.
    Last edited by ninelives; 19th November 2010 at 01:59 AM.
    Objection !!!

  17. #17

    Default

    i was an extreme overclocker, my choice still until now are asus..

    i recommend the newest one, with USB3 slots.. will help a lot if you copy this and that (raw files)

  18. #18
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    I would like to ask a question regarding PC upgrade since my 4-yr old desktop is about to die. Am looking for a new setup to do the normal WP/spreadsheet, Internet surfing plus photo editing and video editing (no gaming/overclocking - too old and also no time for that).

    How would AMD Athlon II x4 640 compare to Intel i3 540 (not even sure if they are in the same class)? I would think pound for pound on processor power, AMD would be less expensive than Intel. So, my real question is since it is obvious AMD has the better price/performance, why are people still choose Intel over AMD most of the time? Obviously I was one of them since I have never use AMD processors before. Just want to get an opinion from you guys.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  19. #19

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Branding.

    honestly, i think you should just buy a basic computer from a vendor. its about the same price, actually cheaper since they give you support and its much simpler to just choose one based on your budget. just remember to get one with a fast dual core. ram and hdd you can upgrade yourself if you wanna save money.
    amd athlonx4 is a cheap quad core while the i3 is a dual core. frankly i would recommend the i3. but since you do video editing maybe the athlonx4 would be better.

  20. #20

    Default Re: which motherboard should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I would like to ask a question regarding PC upgrade since my 4-yr old desktop is about to die. Am looking for a new setup to do the normal WP/spreadsheet, Internet surfing plus photo editing and video editing (no gaming/overclocking - too old and also no time for that).

    How would AMD Athlon II x4 640 compare to Intel i3 540 (not even sure if they are in the same class)? I would think pound for pound on processor power, AMD would be less expensive than Intel. So, my real question is since it is obvious AMD has the better price/performance, why are people still choose Intel over AMD most of the time? Obviously I was one of them since I have never use AMD processors before. Just want to get an opinion from you guys.
    AMD is only good in price/performance... Intel still wins in raw power.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •