Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I do not know what to upgrade...

Default Re: I do not know what to upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by bragbig View Post
    tat is even worse... so what do u suggest between tamron and sigma? i have read ur link already... thanks so much... i wan a all rounder and i knw some thing i have to compromise in term of IQ
    Honestly speaking, If I were you, I would stay with the current lenses. Bring one body 18-55 and 55-250 for holiday.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Actually what I would say that if you actually have doubts to upgrade, then dont upgrade cos you wont have the need yet next time when you are more sure would be the time you realize the limitation of your gear.
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

What's your budget for new lenses?

How about replacing your 18-55mm with a Canon 15-85mm f3.6-f5.6. You'll get a focal length of 24-136mm equivalent.

Any superzoom is probably an optical downgrade from your current setup. If you don't like changing lenses how about buying a 2nd camera body.

how much it cost for a 15-85mm???
    wat do u pple have to comments about 18-135mm?
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II | EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | BG-E8 | *NEWBIE*

btw i also have a 50mm F1.8
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II | EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | BG-E8 | *NEWBIE*

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    Upgrade the photographer.
    Amen to that! Everything else is wasting time and money at the moment ...
    EOS

Am new.. So i need some advice.. How do you guy get the effective range? any formula to calculate?

Am new.. So i need some advice.. How do you guy get the effective range? any formula to calculate?
    Canon 550D is a 'crop-factor' camera, where sensor is smaller than 'traditional' 35mm film window.
    All lenses for DSLRs have focal length expressed in 35mm terms, so you need to apply crop factor of 1.6x (in your case) to see the 35mm equiv.

But if you newbie and never used film camera before, don't bother too much.
    Now your lens is 18-55, so smaller than 18mm means wider view (aka "see more"), and greater number means narrower view (sometimes wrongly termed "more zoom").
    Exploring! :)

Your 550D has the APS-C censor, which is the crop factor. Just take the zoom length and multiply it by 1.6 times and you will get the effective range. For example, at 100mm on the lens, it will effectively be 160mm
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

The 'range' as in focal length is always the same. It is defined by the optical characteristics of the lens elements. What will change is the field of view ("how wide the picture is").
    More to read: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...dslr-mag.shtml
    Last edited by Octarine; 15th November 2010 at 11:47 PM.
    EOS

just stick to the basics... you can't go wrong that way...

you need to give urself some time... to improve and to learn more first...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

WhAT Do you guys find about 18-135mm?

Not much more than what other people found already:
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/46...n_18135_3556is
    Compare with other reviews on the same site.
    EOS

you REALLY dislike your 18-55 + 55-250 combo huh?
    I stick to my original recommendation: keep your current setup.
    Exploring! :)

aiyah. No need to ask anymore lah. Just go and buy your sigma 18-250 or tamron 18-270 or 18-135.
    Not happy with it. Sell in BnS. I will let my Canon user buddies to keep an eye out for it.

PS. Do keep your 18-55 and 55-250 in the mean time.
    PPS. I've check with the reviews that all these superzoom lens are really sharp at the shorter end and at 100 or longer (depending on the lens) image will start to get soft.
    Last edited by coolthought; 16th November 2010 at 03:45 PM.

I came across this story about a well-known photographer who was being asked questions about his profession. When asked what is fav wide-angle lens was, he said "three steps back".

You can shoot anything with your kit lenses. Granted there are some occasions where moving forward/backward to make up for your lens' lack of tele/wide photo range, I doubt these occasions will be many.

Good photographs are never taken by lazy people.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    I came across this story about a well-known photographer who was being asked questions about his profession. When asked what is fav wide-angle lens was, he said "three steps back".

You can shoot anything with your kit lenses. Granted there are some occasions where moving forward/backward to make up for your lens' lack of tele/wide photo range, I doubt these occasions will be many.

I think this photographer has a x-ray camera that can shoot walls and as well as the ability to stand on water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post

How to show UWA landscape with kit lens at esplanade ar? keep walking backwards until suntec?

aiya, that's not the intent of that statement! You can buy the right lens for the right job. But if it's the case for TS here:

Btw i like to shoot landscape pic where the things to focus is far away but do not wan to compromise on the wide angle too
    and judging from what he is considering,

I would say 18mm is wide enough for him no?

On the tele side, if he is lazy to change lens, just move closer. Honestly, even though you can't shoot everything with a kit lens, it's quite clear the desire for an upgrade here is simply BBB syndrome which can be overcome by some effort.
    Olympian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast