Thread: Lightroom or Photoshop Elements?

Default Lightroom or Photoshop Elements?

After using Photoscape for the past 2 years, I've decided its time to upgrade to a better software. Two reasons for this, firstly I've just bought a new Windows 64-bit laptop and secondly, Photoscape has not released any updates for a long time compared to GIMP which makes me believe development of that software has stopped.

A quick Google search on Adobe revealed that only Lightroom 3 is 64-bit, Photoshop Elements 9 is still 32-bit. Hence I'm concerned about the speed of converting RAW files? Feature-wise I know very little about both softwares, I'm hoping others can advise me on which better suits my needs? I'm only into photography as a hobby, so forking out several hundred for Photoshop CS5 is not for me.

As for requirements I looking for something that can process RAW files to JPEG smoothly, most of the post-processing I've done is cropping, brightness adjustment and occasional sharpening. I've not done any stuff like barrel distortion correction, adjusting of white balance or any advanced features.

If anyone has any opinions or advice to share, please do so.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Default Re: Lightroom or Photoshop Elements?

The processing of images from RAW to JPG is a CPU job. Which means: the better the CPU the faster the processing is done.
    32/64 bit has nothing to do with that. Using 64bit OS (and software) is only required if you have more than 3GB RAM. You can still use 32bit software in your 64bit Windows. Works fine. Not all software needs large amounts of RAM.
    Take note that Lightroom has an entirely different concept than Photoshop. You can download a trial version and purchase the license at a later stage.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The processing of images from RAW to JPG is a CPU job. Which means: the better the CPU the faster the processing is done.
    32/64 bit has nothing to do with that. Using 64bit OS (and software) is only required if you have more than 3GB RAM. You can still use 32bit software in your 64bit Windows. Works fine. Not all software needs large amounts of RAM.
    Take note that Lightroom has an entirely different concept than Photoshop. You can download a trial version and purchase the license at a later stage.
    Thanks for the feedback, regarding the 64bit operations I thought it meant being able to process twice as many operations than 32bit. So probably this means speed-wise 32bit or 64bit should process RAW images almost the same time, assuming all other factors are equal?

Regarding the concept, I've downloaded a trial version of Lightroom and can see what you mean. Its very complicated and the user interface is a very different experience. The auto-catalog launcher is a pain whenever I plug in a USB thumbdrive but I found the link to turn it off.

In your opinion do you feel Lightroom or Photoshop Elements is easier to use? Cos after spending a few hours on Lightroom, I'm unable to get a 'feel' of what this software can do? Unlike Photoscape and Photoshop 5.0 in which I was able to find nearly everything I needed within 15 minutes of playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, regarding the 64bit operations I thought it meant being able to process twice as many operations than 32bit. So probably this means speed-wise 32bit or 64bit should process RAW images almost the same time, assuming all other factors are equal?
    No. 64bit refers to the address space that can be handled. Simple example: A 32bit system cannot address more than 4GB RAM (in reality it's even lower). In order to utilize more RAM the CPU and OS must be able to handle addresses wider than 32bit. Here comes the 64bit into the picture.
    Processing images (be it jpg or RAW) depends on the CPU, amount of cores, thread and the clock speed. It's pure number crunching where the amount of RAM is irrelevant (as long as the system is not forced into extensive swapping of data due to other processes).
    Wikipedia: 64bit
    EOS

No. 64bit refers to the address space that can be handled. Simple example: A 32bit system cannot address more than 4GB RAM (in reality it's even lower). In order to utilize more RAM the CPU and OS must be able to handle addresses wider than 32bit. Here comes the 64bit into the picture.
    Processing images (be it jpg or RAW) depends on the CPU, amount of cores, thread and the clock speed. It's pure number crunching where the amount of RAM is irrelevant (as long as the system is not forced into extensive swapping of data due to other processes).
    Wikipedia: 64bit
    Thanks for the info, so at least now I know that whether I'm running Photoshop thats 32bit or 64bit it doesn't matter.

Such being the case what is your experience like with Photoshop Elements and Lightroom? Currently I find that Lightroom is not as easy to get used to as Elements, but that is just for now as I've only been trying out the Lightroom trial version for less than 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Such being the case what is your experience like with Photoshop Elements and Lightroom? Currently I find that Lightroom is not as easy to get used to as Elements, but that is just for now as I've only been trying out the Lightroom trial version for less than 2 weeks.
    There is a general difference between Elements and Lightroom. Elements is an image editor, whereas LR is a combination of picture organizer, image processing and workflow tool.
    I haven't used Elements, but an earlier version of PS and I tried PS4 recently. To be honest, it's nothing for me. The level of editing is far beyond what I need. I use LR now since version 1.x, currently 3.2, and I'm very satisfied with what I can do. I feel that LR's workflow structure (import, processing, output / storage) is really helpful to get things done. If needed one can always 'step aside' to use PS and then 'return' to LR.
    It needs a bit to get used to LR, agreed. But you can get the books from the book shops, I got the LR2 guide for about 60+ bucks, can't remember exactly.
    EOS

There is a general difference between Elements and Lightroom. Elements is an image editor, whereas LR is a combination of picture organizer, image processing and workflow tool.
    I haven't used Elements, but an earlier version of PS and I tried PS4 recently. To be honest, it's nothing for me. The level of editing is far beyond what I need. I use LR now since version 1.x, currently 3.2, and I'm very satisfied with what I can do. I feel that LR's workflow structure (import, processing, output / storage) is really helpful to get things done. If needed one can always 'step aside' to use PS and then 'return' to LR.
    It needs a bit to get used to LR, agreed. But you can get the books from the book shops, I got the LR2 guide for about 60+ bucks, can't remember exactly.
    Hmmm, that does ring a bell about other opinions I've read about Lightroom vs Photoshop on the web? The general consensus is that if you want to perform advanced editing and specialized effects on a few photographs, choose Photoshop. Else if you want to perform mass importing/editing and cataloging of your photos, choose Lightroom?

I used to use Elements (v7 I think) and found that it crawls when you have lots of RAW files. I've since moved to LR and have been a happy user since.

:Later,