Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly in my lens

Default Re: Fly in my lens

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorasea View Post
    Yep, web-things are fungus.
    This is what hyphae elements look like.
    Mystery of fly getting in resolved
    Well, gotta give the fly some imaginative points... it debunked the usual: "there's fly in my soup, cliche"...

Either DIY or send it to a proper lens cleaner, no three ways about it...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Well, gotta give the fly some imaginative points... it debunked the usual: "there's fly in my soup, cliche"...

Either DIY or send it to a proper lens cleaner, no three ways about it...
    If I work in a restaurant, and a customer complains that there is a fly in his soup... i can say "Are you sure it is a fly and not fungus?".

ANyway TS, $40 lens dude. Just use it... One day, just learn to take the lens apart to clean it, just for the experience. A fungus clean job will cost more than what you paid for the lens.

If I were told "there's a fly in my soup" I will say "neh it's mushroom"

Perhaps the hyphae elements will add some "ghostly" / "spider-web" style to certain images, taking
    Alternative photography to a new level
    Canon 500D Kit I / Canon 50mm f1.4 / Canon EF70-200mm F4L IS / Canon EFS 10-22mm

yeah maybe i'll just try to take it apart and clean. i'm not really sad to see the lens go, just that i'm afraid the fungus will jump to my other lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If I work in a restaurant, and a customer complains that there is a fly in his soup... i can say "Are you sure it is a fly and not fungus?".

ANyway TS, $40 lens dude. Just use it... One day, just learn to take the lens apart to clean it, just for the experience. A fungus clean job will cost more than what you paid for the lens.

You can store it as a decoration in your house....just like people found prehistoric insects trapped in ember-like rocks. Yours is trapped in glass

True as well. Spores spread easily. :/
    Canon 500D Kit I / Canon 50mm f1.4 / Canon EF70-200mm F4L IS / Canon EFS 10-22mm

anyways thanks all for your replies. i guess im just being too paranoid android.

i've decided to blast the fungus lens in sunlight to kill as much as possible, and then keep separately from my lenses in a tupperware with silica gel. or is that still overkill? heh.
    Last edited by hydroburn249; 14th November 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroburn249 View Post
    anyways thanks all for your replies. i guess im just being too paranoid android.

i've decided to blast the fungus lens in sunlight to kill as much as possible, and then keep separately from my lenses in a tupperware with silica gel. or is that still overkill? heh.
    Can't blast much since there is a UV coating for all lenses.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Just curious, is it still advisable to attach a fungus affected lens to a cam and shoot?
    Any risk of fungus transmit from lens to cam components?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
    Just curious, is it still advisable to attach a fungus affected lens to a cam and shoot?
    Any risk of fungus transmit from lens to cam components?
    See DD123's posting #14
    EOS

i managed to take it apart from the back. managed to get the casing containing the whole lens elements from the body, but for the life of me i cant seem to figure out which screw to remove the elements from the casing.

had a hard time trying to screw the casing back into the lens body, and then aligning the bracket so the aperture screw and the focusing thing-a-magic aligns properly.

i think i kinda rubbed off the lube from the lens too. cos now the focusing is kinda rough.

but hey i learned from it. but problem still not solved cos i couldnt get to the lens elements.

i managed to take it apart from the back. managed to get the casing containing the whole lens elements from the body, but for the life of me i cant seem to figure out which screw to remove the elements from the casing.

had a hard time trying to screw the casing back into the lens body, and then aligning the bracket so the aperture screw and the focusing thing-a-magic aligns properly.

i think i kinda rubbed off the lube from the lens too. cos now the focusing is kinda rough.

but hey i learned from it. but problem still not solved cos i couldnt get to the lens elements.
    ... if at first you don't succeed,

try and try again
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

When putting the lens together, remember to use a pencil to mark the positions of everything....

and for lub, you can just go to any hardware store and ask for blue grease. That is good quality grease and will work well.

When putting the lens together, remember to use a pencil to mark the positions of everything....

and for lub, you can just go to any hardware store and ask for blue grease. That is good quality grease and will work well.
    i have just made my sigma useless. lol. now it cant focus to infinity. but everything seems to work fine. blah.

regret having itchy fingers.

Blog Entries

i have just made my sigma useless. lol. now it cant focus to infinity. but everything seems to work fine. blah.

regret having itchy fingers.
    Well, no fear, just wait till fatigue is free again, send it in to him to get it realigned.

Well, no fear, just wait till fatigue is free again, send it in to him to get it realigned.
    think i'll just get another lens. saw one on ebay for 50-60. cleaning would cost the same or more right? might as well get another one.

There are a few tricks in dismantling a lens. Some screws should not be removed and some screws are hidden.

If you can dropby at my place during the weekends, I can show you how it's done and lend you some tools needed to fix the lens.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

would the weekend of 4th or 5th december be okay? i am having exams these 2 weeks, most probably can only drop by the weekend of the 4th or 5th december.

thank you for the offer fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    There are a few tricks in dismantling a lens. Some screws should not be removed and some screws are hidden.

If you can dropby at my place during the weekends, I can show you how it's done and lend you some tools needed to fix the lens.
    Last edited by hydroburn249; 15th November 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post

would the weekend of 4th or 5th december be okay? i am having exams these 2 weeks, most probably can only drop by the weekend of the 4th or 5th december.

thank you for the offer fatigue.
    Bro fatigue,

I don't mind being there as well. I can bring my 105/2.5 and practice along as well.

i've managed to strip it till this.

and then i got stuck.

i've figured it out. theoretically i need to remove the retaining ring on the front element and adjust the screws. BUT i couldnt. tried the lens cap + rubber glove method = no go. shove a screwdriver into the ring and pry them open = no go + my lens looks like crap now.

damn i need to get back to studying for exams and not this. hahaha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast