Thread: Colors Of The Jungle

Default Colors Of The Jungle

Hi guys this is my first week with my new toy pls give me your honest comments and critique as this photo is my 1st post of my 1st Night shot with my 1st DSLR. I need more help to improve. cheers

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Mainly composition and color saturation but any other pointers and observations are most welcome.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    I was trying to show the effect of looking through a kaleidescope revealing the hidden colors of our concrete jungle in Singapore.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Nightshot(obviously ) with a tripod, D300s, Nikon 18-200mm, f22, shutter delay @ 30s, edited with ACDsee Pro3.
    Just got a new trigger release and decided to bring my new toy out for some fun. Found this spot near the "Lim Bo Seng Memorial" and above was what i saw.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    I do not know if i had gone alittle over in the color saturation for some or even most of you, but i personally like louder and vivid colors in pictures. At the same time i also hope to produce photos that the masses will appreciate. Therefore humbly seeking your advice.

Default Re: Colors Of The Jungle

Erh... Where is the jungle?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

Let me help you... here is your pic.

Blog Entries

First off, the use of strong vignetting totally fails here. You use vignetting to draw the attention of a viewer to a certain part of your pic. But your pic is a landscape pic that should show the buildings on either side of the frame. You basically made those parts almost disappear into the night

White balance is a weird decision. Saturation and contrast is pushed too much IMHO. But can work if you are aiming for something different.

Picture looks really soft, this is probably due to camera shake or misfocus.

Picture is also a little underexposed.

Overall not a pleasant picture to look at and definitely does not work.

Try harder next time.

P.S. Do you know how a kaleidescope look like? many mirror images formed into a single picture. Your picture is nothing like a view through a kaleidescope.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th November 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuachua79 View Post

Hi guys this is my first week with my new toy pls give me your honest comments and critique as this photo is my 1st post of my 1st Night shot with my 1st DSLR. I need more help to improve. cheers

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Mainly composition and color saturation but any other pointers and observations are most welcome.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    I was trying to show the effect of looking through a kaleidescope revealing the hidden colors of our concrete jungle in Singapore.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Nightshot(obviously ) with a tripod, D300s, Nikon 18-200mm, f22, shutter delay @ 30s, edited with ACDsee Pro3.
    Just got a new trigger release and decided to bring my new toy out for some fun. Found this spot near the "Lim Bo Seng Memorial" and above was what i saw.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    I do not know if i had gone alittle over in the color saturation for some or even most of you, but i personally like louder and vivid colors in pictures. At the same time i also hope to produce photos that the masses will appreciate. Therefore humbly seeking your advice.

This is a good spot to take a photo of Singapore's night landscape, though your choice to present it with this 'tunnel vision' vignetting is not to my preference. I find myself straining to try and see more of the photo...

Shouldn't use f/22. That might partially explain the softness in your shot.
    Exploring! :)

thanks so much for the pointers. I'm a noob in photography and just trying new stuff and kind of felt the same way about the critiques you gave. Was just looking for opinions on something new i thought might work but apparently did not.

Yup i believe i should have took the photo at f/16 and below for a sharper photo.

btw i do know what a kaleidescope is, and wanted to show the array of colors that will be multiplied when you look through it but apparently that did't work out right either.

Well at least i learned how not to spoil my photos. believe thats a good start.

thanks everyone.