Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Point of failure deteced, camera strap.

Default New Point of failure deteced, camera strap.

Using a D200 and I have this leather camera strap which fits the palm for better levarage, and also using a Martin neoprene camera strap. So don't know what happened, was just turning around and the whole body + SB-600 smashed to the floor. The SB-600 had its hotshoe seperated from the body.

Usually I'd have my SB-900 on this body, but luckily was doing Live Photos to the projector at Pan Pacific, hence switched the flash around with my other body and have the SB-600 on this.

So guys, need to check your straps. The D200 has a nice eyelet, but apparently still can rub. I checked my other body, wah lau also nearly 1/2 sawn through. This is esp so for those who shoot a lot.

Bo bian, need to buy a SB-900 liao to replace. Luckily this one already used for 1 year and maybe 3 months, usually I go through one flash every 1 years depending on how much I shoot, so this one nearly EOL liao (very rare/intermittent cannot trigger the flash, no response).

Default Re: New Point of failure deteced, camera strap.

So my flash took the hit for my sigma 17-50 OS HSM and body. And also took the hit for SB-900, which *should* be the one taking the hit if I had not changed it out 30 mins earlier.

can feel your heart ache . . . .

and thanks for sharing and reminding us to check our strap etc . . .

most of the time we take things for granted and never check . . . thanks again.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    can feel your heart ache . . . .

and thanks for sharing and reminding us to check our strap etc . . .

most of the time we take things for granted and never check . . . thanks again.
    I have seen newbie wedding photographer accident before, did not see the brother's car coming as he was chasing the bridal, and the car knocked the body/lens which flew off and later got crushed. Thing is, anything can happen. For a super part-timer that means $$$ lost, for this maybe they'd do not earn like > 10k a year its pretty difficult to recoup (ala worked for free shd something happens - is there such a thing as "for interest" actually after some shoots?). Even if one is a really lucky guy and nothing happens, things like flash tube failure is part and parcel of wear and tear, so is body obselecence. For us its somewhat better as we already have earned from it.

So my point is for those coming on-board, do not lowball for too long and you need to factor this in. Accidents happen, you do fall down, someone does crash into you and your camera goes flying (rather I crashed into somebody else LOL!), rain damage etc. IF you only have one flash, then be prepared to face the consequences like reputation damage, the stress alone is not worth it.. Else it really is not worth it.
    Last edited by 2100; 14th November 2010 at 08:38 AM.

i uses a op-tech strap with a flexible plastic ends that loops round the camera. Better wear resistant than the nylon weave strap.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    i uses a op-tech strap with a flexible plastic ends that loops round the camera. Better wear resistant than the nylon weave strap.
    OPtech got neoprene? Coz sometimes I shoot with 3 bodies in real-time, so need the friction for the left and right shoulders, and also some "springiness". Currently using the Matin from South Korea, those ones at Orient Photo.

Anyway I took out another seemingly "spoilt" SB-600 from the stash of retired flashes (got 4 of them LOL! ). The most recent SB-600 that I retired with the highest serial number still works ok....hmm....put into dry cabi to rest for like 1 year can fire ok again. (I test fired over 500 times just now). I'll just use it and buy a SB-900 later. Funny, last time really intermittent firing after just 50-100 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    OPtech got neoprene? Coz sometimes I shoot with 3 bodies in real-time, so need the friction for the left and right shoulders, and also some "springiness". Currently using the Matin from South Korea, those ones at Orient Photo.
    http://optechusa.com/FAQs?___store=optechusa
    Optech also neoprene, thicker, less bouncy then Matin for heavy body.
    I use Optech Pro Loop for my D300 + Grip + short/long lens & Matin for
    small body like D3100.

So my flash took the hit for my sigma 17-50 OS HSM and body. And also took the hit for SB-900, which *should* be the one taking the hit if I had not changed it out 30 mins earlier.
    Oh man... But I guess at least your SB-600 sacrificed itself for a good cause!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Oh man... But I guess at least your SB-600 sacrificed itself for a good cause!
    Yesh man....

None of my straps have ever worn out, despite heavy use, swinging, tugging, pulling, etc etc
    Alpha

Thanks for the reminder...I always swing here and there...nv really though it could break.. it's something to look out for..
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Found it.
    For mine, the optech ends looks just like this.

You might want to consider these.
    http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html
    http://optechusa.com/reporter-strap.html
    http://optechusa.com/utility-strap.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    None of my straps have ever worn out, despite heavy use, swinging, tugging, pulling, etc etc
    we can only guess what else he uses the strap for....
    Last edited by coolthought; 14th November 2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Thanks for sharing. Sorry about your lost...
    I am using Optech Pro Loop Strap, it has a curved neoprene pad, which is very good.
    http://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

~ 600 weddings/events? That's on top of the hobby shoots/outings years ago. Fashion, sungei buloh, marina south, sports etc.

I always have to wash my neoprene, coz damn smelly. Lost count.
    On my A900? Close. Plus hiking, etc. So sign of wear and tear. But the metal loops for the strap have a protective black plastic casing, that might make the difference.
    Alpha

Mmmm....perhaps some guys are unable to grasp it. Trust me, look at the first photo. It CAN happen if you are shooting for $$$ very regularly. Not sure if you know of Kaiwen and their group of VGs, they touch 100/year easily.
    Some guys have shot several thousands of shoots. Hobbyists perhaps do 30 outings per year (that's probably a lot already) and do maybe 20-30% of the activity compared to a wedding or whole day event. 33 years to reach 1k mark.

The D200/D300/D3 metal eyes are good and relieves the stress, no sharp edges, but apparently the additional of additional leather grips or something will change things.

The one which broke was a D200. This is a D90. And only about 3 years, so that's prob ard 200-230 shoots.

Last edited by 2100; 14th November 2010 at 07:26 PM.

On my A900? Close. Plus hiking, etc. So sign of wear and tear. But the metal loops for the strap have a protective black plastic casing, that might make the difference.
    The D200 also has those protective loops back casing for the metal eyelet. That part is ok. Something cut it through...

Sony A900 announced Oct 2008. 2 years so that's like 700 days. You shoot 3-11 hours everyday without fail?

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Sorry about your lost...
    I am using Optech Pro Loop Strap, it has a curved neoprene pad, which is very good.
    http://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html
    Yep, I got 2 Optech Pro Look straps. Heck I'll just change it every 2 years or so.
    Purchased another SB-900 to replace, the SB-600 just put as backup's backup.

The D200 also has those protective loops back casing for the metal eyelet. That part is ok. Something cut it through...

Sony A900 announced Oct 2008. 2 years so that's like 700 days. You shoot 3-11 hours everyday without fail?
    Nope, not that much. You do a good job abusing the gear.
    Alpha

The one which broke was a D200. This is a D90. And only about 3 years, so that's prob ard 200-230 shoots.

Mine has a black plastic casing around the metal part. it does a good job protecting the straps. Plus, my eyelets articulate, so there's less of a cutting/sawing motion.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast