Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

  1. #1

    Default Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Hi All,

    I would appreciate if any one can provide some advice.
    Currently, I own a Canon PowerShot G11 and another compact Canon camera iXus 110.

    I had my first compact camera- Canon iXus 110 when I started traveling. While I started Scuba diving, I bought another Canon G11 for underwater photography.
    I bought several equipments ie. UnderWater Strobes which I gradually upgraded to a more powerful one.

    Now, I would like to start on a hobby to take some land pictures using a proper DSLR camera.
    As a newbie in DSLR cameras, I am in a dilemma on whether I should buy the top of the line Camera - ie. 5D Mark II.
    I have a reasonable budget of around 5.5K for the Camera Body with a Prime lense and an Ultra Wide Lens.
    As recommended, a 85mm 1.8 Lens match with another Ultra Wide 17-40 f4 Lens with a 430 Cannon Speedlite.

    I am not sure if it is a good ideal to buy such a top line camera as I am relatively new to DSLR besides I use a semi-manual G11.
    It is a sunk cost and I am not worried about the returns coz its a hobby to me.

    I have experience the hassle of upgrading my camera equipments while I was using my G11 for shooting underwater pictures and would rather spend a bigger budget to buy a better set of equipment instead of upgrading it from time to time.

    I have taken into consideration of the need to purchase Dry Cabinet, UV filters, etc.
    The budget is not too much of an issue but it is the question if it is a wise move.
    Kindly provide some advise and some thoughts.

    Cheers,

    SnowCruncher

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th November 2010 at 06:48 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    From one of the most popular UK mag.

    Top 10 Best DSLRs for Enthusiast and the Pro in the world today
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...he-world-today

    Fast Lenses Group Test
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...ses-group-test

    Getting a dry cabinet is a good investment as this will protect your equipment from fungus.
    UV filters are generally used as a protector for the front element of the lens. It will be wise to get a quality filter. Common sense will tell you why. Check out the mass sellers here for filters like the B+W.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Welcome to CS . . .

    bear in mind that the lens will last longer than the body . . .

    Canon 5D MkII is a good choice . . . have you tried it ?
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  5. #5
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    sounds like you have alot of $$$$$...

    so why not just get the 5dmkii... done and dusted.. no need to discuss le..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Welcome to CS. ^^

    Hope you enjoy your stay here and do make time to join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Hey Hello DareDevil,

    Thank you so much for the advise.
    I am reading through the treads... They are definitely very useful for a newbie.
    You can call me Anthony...
    SnowCruncher is my nickname


    Cheers




  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    I have meddle with a friend's unit it a couple of times...
    Not quite familiar with the functions yet...




    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    Welcome to CS . . .

    bear in mind that the lens will last longer than the body . . .

    Canon 5D MkII is a good choice . . . have you tried it ?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Wow... The B + W filters are certainly expensive...
    Is there a mid range filter that is around 40 to maybe 90 bucks?
    Seems like there are many different type...
    What would be a good recommendation for a 17-40 and a 85mm lens?
    Appreciate if you can advise.

    Cheers




    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    From one of the most popular UK mag.

    Top 10 Best DSLRs for Enthusiast and the Pro in the world today
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...he-world-today

    Fast Lenses Group Test
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...ses-group-test

    Getting a dry cabinet is a good investment as this will protect your equipment from fungus.
    UV filters are generally used as a protector for the front element of the lens. It will be wise to get a quality filter. Common sense will tell you why. Check out the mass sellers here for filters like the B+W.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Thank you...
    I am looking forward to join the crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    Welcome to CS. ^^

    Hope you enjoy your stay here and do make time to join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Thank you so much for the advice.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    From one of the most popular UK mag.

    Top 10 Best DSLRs for Enthusiast and the Pro in the world today
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...he-world-today

    Fast Lenses Group Test
    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...ses-group-test

    Getting a dry cabinet is a good investment as this will protect your equipment from fungus.
    UV filters are generally used as a protector for the front element of the lens. It will be wise to get a quality filter. Common sense will tell you why. Check out the mass sellers here for filters like the B+W.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    5.5K might seem like a huge budget, but 5DII and 17-40L would pretty much use it up already. Not much leftover

    It is certainly a very capable camera.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    5.5K might seem like a huge budget, but 5DII and 17-40L would pretty much use it up already. Not much leftover

    It is certainly a very capable camera.
    Actually bro, 5.5k is a good budget for Cropped sensor cameras.. E.g.

    D7000 + 18-105 kit
    Tokina 11-16/2.8
    Nikon 35/1.8
    Nikon 50/1.8
    Nikon 85/1.8
    Nikon 70-300VR
    SB900 flash

    Just nice with some left over for dry cab and accessories.

    And D7000 is good enough... especially when it can almost match D3 in noise performance at ISO6400.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th November 2010 at 09:33 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually bro, 5.5k is a good budget for Cropped sensor cameras.. E.g.

    D7000 + 18-105 kit
    Tokina 11-16/2.8
    Nikon 35/1.8
    Nikon 50/1.8
    Nikon 85/1.8
    Nikon 70-300VR
    SB900 flash

    Just nice with some left over for dry cab and accessories.

    And D7000 is good enough... especially when it can almost match D3 in noise performance at ISO6400.
    Agree w you bro
    I'd be more inclined to go that route instead of pursuing FF camera and a single L lens.
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually bro, 5.5k is a good budget for Cropped sensor cameras.. E.g.

    D7000 + 18-105 kit
    Tokina 11-16/2.8
    Nikon 35/1.8
    Nikon 50/1.8
    Nikon 85/1.8
    Nikon 70-300VR
    SB900 flash

    Just nice with some left over for dry cab and accessories.

    And D7000 is good enough... especially when it can almost match D3 in noise performance at ISO6400.
    bro, this looks like your dream kit.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    bro, this looks like your dream kit.
    No bro... Not my dream kit... LOL... THis is:

    D3s
    Nikon 24/1.4G
    Nikon 35/1.4G
    Sigma 50/1.4
    Sigma 85/1.4
    Nikon 105/2DC
    Nikon 135/2DC
    Nikon 16-35/4
    Nikon 14-24/2.8
    Nikon 300/2.8 just to shoot xmm in the next building.

    Dream mah... must be something not attainable...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th November 2010 at 10:36 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No bro... Not my dream kit... LOL... THis is:

    D3s
    Nikon 24/1.4G
    Nikon 35/1.4G
    Sigma 50/1.4
    Sigma 85/1.4
    Nikon 105/2DC
    Nikon 135/2DC
    Nikon 16-35/4
    Nikon 14-24/2.8
    Nikon 300/2.8 just to shoot xmm in the next building.

    Dream mah... must be something not attainable...

    oh my....
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No bro... Not my dream kit... LOL... THis is:

    D3s
    Nikon 24/1.4G
    Nikon 35/1.4G
    Sigma 50/1.4
    Sigma 85/1.4
    Nikon 105/2DC
    Nikon 135/2DC
    Nikon 16-35/4
    Nikon 14-24/2.8
    Nikon 300/2.8 just to shoot xmm in the next building.

    Dream mah... must be something not attainable...
    I think you are already somewhere there with a few of these lens...
    hmmm... all primes except at the wide end.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I think you are already somewhere there with a few of these lens...
    hmmm... all primes except at the wide end.
    Bro.. I do not have a single one of those equipment listed...

    I am nowhere with those lenses... LOL.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Newbie need advice on buying a New DSLR Camera

    A good place to start would be to read the "What DSLR to buy?" FAQ. You might also realize that there are other options than just Canon and Nikon that may help you stretch your budget even further. To me, I would suggest a lower-end, cheaper body (not necessarily entry-level) but invest in good lenses.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •