Thread: aperture... shuttle speed... iso... exposure...

Default aperture... shuttle speed... iso... exposure...

Hi. I had a basic understanding of aperture, shuttle speed, iso and exposure. When i was doing my shoot at night, i will definitely put the aperture to the lowest f number. And if the object is moving, i increase the shuttle speed to prevent it from bluring. I think im quite ok with playing ard aperture and shuttle speed. But when it comes to iso and exposure, im lost. It seems to me that iso and exposure is the same, brighting and darking the picture which can be also can done by adjusting the aperture and shuttle speed. Can someone claify the relationship between aperture, shuttle speed, iso and exposure in term of the effect in the pic. And how do u adjust your setting while doing shoot ?

Default Re: aperture... shuttle speed... iso... exposure...

You mean shutter speed? The shuttle speed would be a concern for NASA.

Please read the newbies guides. It clearly explains the Exposure Triangle - Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO all act together to adjust exposure. If you leave aperture and ISO the same and only adjust shutter speed, you are adjusting exposure, etc etc. All 3 affect it.

As for how to adjust, that depends on your camera, the control dials or settings, etc. How do you normally adjust it??

Learn how to use your lightmeter and master your camera.
    Alpha

you can think of it this way, aperture, iso and shutter speed are 3 values that affect your final exposure. to get the same exposure, you can reduce your aperture, increase your shutter speed or iso or the other way round. basically they are all dependant on each other. if you want to get the same exposure, when you reduce any one of them, the other must increase and vice versa.
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

FYI, it's a sticky at the very top called "Photography Notes for Newbies". Sulhan did an awesome job on it.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    Alpha

EOS

Go to the library and get some books on photography? Understanding Exposure by BRYAN PETERSON is a pretty popular introduction to photography.

aperture... shuttle speed... iso... exposure...........................

shot more in those setting n compare it youself ..... you will learn more about those setting.

Blog Entries

no fixed settings btw. there isnt a one setting kind of thing. learn hwo to read the metering and u will be safe.

always consider what u want ur photo u look like, and then set the respective values for the iso, shutter and aperture.

i did a short writeup on this in my reply to you in the singapore is beautiful thread. cheers.

Think of it as an equation with 3 variables correlated to with eachother and the sum of it gives you exposure.

You can think of ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed as 3 Holy Diety, when they come together in various mixtures gives you different exposures.

Another easier way is to imagine you can trying to collect water, with a tap , your hands, and a pail made of sponge.

The faster you turn on and off the tap, the lesser water will flow into your pail ,and hence, less water.

The slower you turn on and off the tap , say for 5 seconds, you collect more water.

The bigger pail you use to collect the water, the more water , you will collect , the smaller the pail , you collect lesser water , as the opening will be too small.

If you use a good sponge to make the pail, it can absorb more water . If you use plastic pail , you collect lesser water.
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    Think of it as an equation with 3 variables correlated to with eachother and the sum of it gives you exposure.

You can think of ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed as 3 Holy Diety, when they come together in various mixtures gives you different exposures.

Another easier way is to imagine you can trying to collect water, with a tap , your hands, and a pail made of sponge.

The faster you turn on and off the tap, the lesser water will flow into your pail ,and hence, less water.

The slower you turn on and off the tap , say for 5 seconds, you collect more water.

The bigger pail you use to collect the water, the more water , you will collect , the smaller the pail , you collect lesser water , as the opening will be too small.

If you use a good sponge to make the pail, it can absorb more water . If you use plastic pail , you collect lesser water.

So confusing..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Diluted View Post

So confusing..
    yes, it is a bit convoluted, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, it is a bit convoluted, isn't it?
    Haha.. yep.. a simple relationship made to look so difficult.. but at least he tried explaining it
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Depending on which religion you use as baseline you might either end up in a blasphemous situation or a useless family quarrel without any results. Be careful when calling deities
    EOS

haha failed attempt to make the relationship tangible.

I didnt think so much on the religion baseline , now that you mention you are absolutely right !
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Diluted View Post

So confusing..
    Agreed, quite confusing hahaha...so chim...
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

basically, the elements affecting exposure are aperture, shutter speed and iso. iso is for controlling the sensor sensitivity to light. Higher iso number, brighter your image.

You can google for photography exposure. Lots of sites explaining these things.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif