Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printer for Photos

Default Re: Printer for Photos

I'm using a Canon MP640, should be known as 648 here.. it's an AIO, but the photo printing is reasonably good.. it all depends on what size you wanna print.. the photo paper is another factor for the print quality.. do consider the total cost of paper+ink before you decide on the printer.. it's not that cheap..

As a student, you probably would want a printer that only print photos but normal document print (good to have duplex print), scanning, etc.

From personal experience, I have tried 3rd party ink cartridge system. The ink are really cheap but if you serious into printing photo. You would want to stay with the original ink. The third party ink are more prone to fading and inaccurate colour reproduction.

You can start your search from cnet.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/printers/

http://reviews.cnet.com/printer-buying-guide/
    Digital photographer
    Any inkjet can print photos in color, but if you want results that approach professional photofinishing, you'll need a printer that is designed to reproduce the dynamic range of photographs. If you're in the market for an enthusiast printer, you need to look at the gamut and characteristics of the ink set, the supported papers, and the color-management tools. If you plan to purchase only one printer or are a serious hobbyist, a letter-size inkjet is your best bet, since it can also handle routine printing tasks. Many use thermal dye-transfer technology (also known as dye sublimation) in which heat changes the physical state of solid inks until they infuse specially coated paper, solidifying as they cool. Snapshot printers can print directly from compatible digital cameras.
    Last edited by coolthought; 14th November 2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Tonistein View Post
    I may be new to this forum but I am not new to printing. I have many years experience working in photolabs & even ran my own lab for 2 years. Now I do printing at home with 4 printers. Nowadays, photolabs have gone from chemical process (silver halide) to dry process (inkjet printing) So there's no more difference whether you print at home or sent to the lab but if you are printing a few hundred photos for a wedding shoot - better send to a lab for faster output.
    For normal printing I prefer Canon printers. I had used Epson printers for 10 years. Their quality is not too bad but their machines required more service than Canon printers as far as I am concerned. Canon ink cartridges are more costly but the printout are better & the printers are cheaper. The IP4870 cost $199 & each cartridge cost around $19.00 - using 5 colours.
    To my young friend:- if you only want to learn about printing & see how the prints will turn out as compared to that on your screen, you don't have to buy a printer. I can let you have my older Canon printer for free - still in very good condition.
    Recently I bought a large format printer - Canon 5100. Cost about $4000 but the surprising thing is that the ink cartridge - 130ml cost $79 each. My Canon IP4500 ink cartridge - 13ml cost $18.50. Count the cost.
    Hi Tonestein, After reading, you are the person in CS who is very kind and generous and also willing to help and even offer your old printer for free. Wow..!! I appreciate it very very much. But my Dad say is also time to buy a new printer for everyone in the family to use.
    What you are saying is exactly what I want to know. Your experience in using different printers and also your knowledge in printers is very helpful. Is just like handphone that people are using and have different types of comments.
    Yesterday, I went to Canon at Vivo City with my family and we actually look through the printers. My Dad say that he will buy a printer that can print photo, scan and copy so that my brothers can also use them. And it will be Wi-Fi too.
    For the ink and cost, my brother will help to calculate the cost.
    Wow.. I thank you very much and appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    haha, yes yes.. holidays start when i see my mummy no need to go school haha...

yup i guess uncle albert will be the best advice you can seek...

ya, i'm still waiting for uncle jacobs to have another outing.. recently all macro outing.. not my kinda photography.. haha... plus oso busy la..

will join in soon~!!!
    Hi Enzeru21, So funny we talk about outing here.. Ya, we will wait again for Sunchasers or Bro. Jacob to organize another outing. I am also not into Macro shoot. Maybe much much later. Hope to see you soon. Take care..

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    If you are not in a hurry, an IT Fair is coming up on 25-28 Nov. There will be live printing demos as well as promotions going on.
    Hi Reportage, Thanks so much and appreciate your information. Is also goo idea to wait for the IT show. Ih ave been to the IT show before with my brother. Very crowded. You are very kind.Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by achtung7 View Post
    I'm using a Canon MP640, should be known as 648 here.. it's an AIO, but the photo printing is reasonably good.. it all depends on what size you wanna print.. the photo paper is another factor for the print quality.. do consider the total cost of paper+ink before you decide on the printer.. it's not that cheap..
    Hi Achtung, thanks for your effort in giving the information. Most probably the largest would be A4 size. For A3, my brother advice my to send it to the lab for printing. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by MGohzxc; 14th November 2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    As a student, you probably would want a printer that only print photos but normal document print (good to have duplex print), scanning, etc.

From personal experience, I have tried 3rd party ink cartridge system. The ink are really cheap but if you serious into printing photo. You would want to stay with the original ink. The third party ink are more prone to fading and inaccurate colour reproduction.

You can start your search from cnet.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/printers/

http://reviews.cnet.com/printer-buying-guide/
    Hello Uncle CT, wow.. see you here also.Ok I will read the link you gave me. Yes I am serious to print good photos and will buy one that can print copy and scan and also Wi-Fi. I will also take note of the ink too. Thanks so much again.

There is a canon photo printer $199 that can print 4r size photos in 20 seconds. Extremely fast and great pro level photos. You can get a huge discount off retail price for brand new sets, email noblehelp@ gmail.com if u're interested. Free gifts also.
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    There is a canon photo printer $199 that can print 4r size photos in 20 seconds. Extremely fast and great pro level photos. You can get a huge discount off retail price for brand new sets, email noblehelp@ gmail.com if u're interested. Free gifts also.
    Hi MettaLife, Thanks for the information. Will take note.

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    My Dad say that he will buy a printer that can print photo, scan and copy so that my brothers can also use them. And it will be Wi-Fi too.
    For the ink and cost, my brother will help to calculate the cost.
    Wow.. I thank you very much and appreciate.
    Take a good look at the Canon MP648. Connects via Wi-Fi, can do all 3. I also print A4-sized photo prints on high-quality pearl paper and it's great.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Take a good look at the Canon MP648. Connects via Wi-Fi, can do all 3. I also print A4-sized photo prints on high-quality pearl paper and it's great.
    Hi Rashkae, Thanks. Yes A4 will be good otherwise A3 will use up alot of ink and will send for lab printing if is A3. Will look into it.

Hello Uncle CT, wow.. see you here also.Ok I will read the link you gave me. Yes I am serious to print good photos and will buy one that can print copy and scan and also Wi-Fi. I will also take note of the ink too. Thanks so much again.
    heh... I myself is looking for a printer too...
    Currently I am eyeing the Canon new Pixma black series printers.
    http://www.canon.com.sg/business/pro...ficationAnchor Can't see why I will be using wifi since I going to get the the printer networked. If you want Wifi, MP497, MG5270, MG6170 and MG8170. The MP497 is the cheapest among these 4 but it has no duplex printing. (duplex function - printer can turn paper around to print on both side of the paper)

Hi Rashkae, Thanks. Yes A4 will be good otherwise A3 will use up alot of ink and will send for lab printing if is A3. Will look into it.
    You check around the shops in Bras Basah complex and Sunshine plaza for a better deal in printing full colour A3. Tell them you are a student (obviously) to get a student rate.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Just to ask...does the printing start instantaneously or does it take some time before actually start printing the image?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Just to ask...does the printing start instantaneously or does it take some time before actually start printing the image?
    If it's already warmed up, it takes about 3-4 seconds before it starts. If it decides it's time to check the nozzles and warm up, it could take 1-2 minutes. It's not an office-grade professional "always on" printer.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12