Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Pentax users use mainly the kit lenses or cheap primes?

Default Re: Does Pentax users use mainly the kit lenses or cheap primes?

[QUOTE=pinholecam;6679713]
    Canon
    EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM - no RRP | $2080 (CP) | $2400 (MS) | $2220 (TCW, grey)
    EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM - $2999 (RRP) | $2400 (JO, Mar09) | $2350 (MS, Apr10) | $2388 (SLRR, Dec09) | $2400 (CP-M, Mar10) $2380 (MS, w/ GST, May10)
    EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - $1899 (RRP) | $1540 (MS, May10)$1530 (PA, w/ GST, Jun10)$1535 (MS, w/ GST, Jun10) |$1599 CP-P w/ GST Jul10

Nikon
    AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX
    $1,930 (John, Sep08 - Xanadu)
    $2220.00 (without GST, CP, Oct09, JH)
    ...[QUOTE]

if that is the current price for Nikon and canon... i believe that the pentax 16-50 is still cheaper...

[QUOTE=Moonlightsg;6681283][QUOTE=pinholecam;6679713]
    Canon
    EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM - $2999 (RRP) | $2400 (JO, Mar09) | $2350 (MS, Apr10) | $2388 (SLRR, Dec09) | $2400 (CP-M, Mar10) $2380 (MS, w/ GST, May10)
    EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - $1899 (RRP) | $1540 (MS, May10)$1530 (PA, w/ GST, Jun10)$1535 (MS, w/ GST, Jun10) |$1599 CP-P w/ GST Jul10

Nikon

if that is the current price for Nikon and canon... i believe that the pentax 16-50 is still cheaper...
    Yes considering the price of 14xx for the 16-50 its indeed cheaper. However there is no 2nd hand available due to lower number of ppl using pentax. I feel there is more value for 2nd hand items =)

Btw just a question for pentax K-5 users. Why did you buy from emjay during the launch of k-5? I tot emjay sells at RRP? thats the reason why i initially thought that emjay was selling at street price. pardon my noobness

And if i wanna try out the ergonomics of the k-5, i have to go to reputable shops to try right? With no obligation to buy is it possible to still test?

[QUOTE=hotchoco1ate;6681528][QUOTE=Moonlightsg;6681283]
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Canon

Nikon

Yes considering the price of 14xx for the 16-50 its indeed cheaper. However there is no 2nd hand available due to lower number of ppl using pentax. I feel there is more value for 2nd hand items =)

Btw just a question for pentax K-5 users. Why did you buy from emjay during the launch of k-5? I tot emjay sells at RRP? thats the reason why i initially thought that emjay was selling at street price. pardon my noobness

And if i wanna try out the ergonomics of the k-5, i have to go to reputable shops to try right? With no obligation to buy is it possible to still test?
    emjay has a seeeeeecret price for k-5. the US retailers are all selling at the ridiculously sky-high RRP, but not emjay. only for k-5 though

top secret pre-order price that i cant enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by oyama85 View Post
    +1, me too.
    Some say its all about the primes for Pentax, not for me tho.
    i honestly don't think i can tell the difference even if i used any of the magic lenses for my photography. but yes i would like to have some limiteds if i could comfortably afford them.

I guess the bokeh difference is definitely there, but maybe kinda minimal?
    Juz cant give up the convenience of zoom, compared to changing lens often.
    But zoom comes with size, so then again it depends on preferences I guess. lol

[QUOTE=darrrrrrrrrr;6681563][QUOTE=hotchoco1ate;6681528]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlightsg View Post

emjay has a seeeeeecret price for k-5. the US retailers are all selling at the ridiculously sky-high RRP, but not emjay. only for k-5 though
    But with regards to US prices, that's to be expected isn't it what with the current weak state of the US economy? For the longest time, the US consumer has lived with low prices due to their propensity to consume. The consumer was encouraged to spend to boost the economy with cheap money and credit. Well that party is over... the average US consumer is mired in debt with low savings or mortgaged to their eyeballs. With the Fed Reserve having to print more money to try to revive the economy (as they got no more levers to pull with interest rates already next to nothing), that should mean the fall of the US dollar and consequently inflation going up. Time for an drastic adjustment for those in the US...

Anyway Emjay pricing is actually very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

not to burst your bubble but not just emjay... some local shops offering very good price for the K-5 as well...
    Last edited by detritus; 12th November 2010 at 07:21 AM.

[QUOTE=hotchoco1ate;6681528][QUOTE=Moonlightsg;6681283]
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

I am one of those who own the DA*16-50mm F2.8. Since the lens suits my usage and needs, I do not see a reason to place it on the second hand market.

All pre-order is through Emjay and there is a special pice for them. The rest who do not pre-order gets from the normal shops who also quote good prices.

You can hold and feel BUT cannot press the shutter that's all. If you want to fire the shutter, you need to get one of the K5/K7 owners to let you touch theirs.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

TS,the pentaxian are good in pairing up body and outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by mccm33 View Post
    TS,the pentaxian are good in pairing up body and outfit.
    meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    meaning?
    i think he's saying that we have good sense of dressing.

meaning?
    Bestest cam with combination of bestest lens

Quote Originally Posted by mccm33 View Post
    Bestest cam with combination of bestest lens
    ah... i see... actually, to be objective, best camera + best lens =/= best photo

its the person behind the VF that is the most impt factor.

i compared my pic taken at the last outing taken with K-5 + 16-50 compared with a similar pic taken by FW with K-5 + 18-55 WR kit lens and his was nicer

so to answer TS's question, i think its fair to say that whether kit lens or cheap prime, the difference is still the user because the body is actually versatile and powerful enough to bring out the best from all K-mount lenses, even old MF ones that are decades old

detritus is right. Even with my K7 and DA*16-50,FW's pics are way better than mine.
    Pentaxian for Life

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    detritus is right. Even with my K7 and DA*16-50,FW's pics are way better than mine.
    That's why you need to join us more often at our monthly Pentax user outings.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    aiyah, i joined 3 years liao. pic still sucks. maybe next outing must follow uncle denis close up.
    shoot to remember. flickr

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    aiyah, i joined 3 years liao. pic still sucks. maybe next outing must follow uncle denis close up.
    wah... if your pix sux, then my one i no more face to post in tech discussion forum already... sure CMI, kena condemn like nothing

ah... i see... actually, to be objective, best camera + best lens =/= best photo

its the person behind the VF that is the most impt factor.

i compared my pic taken at the last outing taken with K-5 + 16-50 compared with a similar pic taken by FW with K-5 + 18-55 WR kit lens and his was nicer

so to answer TS's question, i think its fair to say that whether kit lens or cheap prime, the difference is still the user because the body is actually versatile and powerful enough to bring out the best from all K-mount lenses, even old MF ones that are decades old
    Not to mention NM with a more humble Kr and Sigma 10-20

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Trying to bro, trying to.
    Pentaxian for Life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast