Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: newbie on g12

Default Re: newbie on g12

the above image taken with auto white balance

the above image was taken with custom white balance set by shooting at a white piece of paper

both image was taken sec apart,it seem that both pic is ok,but on closer look,it seem that the custom white pic seem warm and more realistic over auto white which is white with a hint of blue,well that a newbie eye

where is my mentor ? yahoooooo miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiichael chick, u sleeping or diving ?

s a pro would u say if be it night or day picture will turn out to be better if we have a custom white balance over awb ? me newbie choice is custom white as the picture has warm n more to ground colour but i have not tried night
    Last edited by wish4me; 11th December 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Good Morning.

White Balance is White Balance....

Who sez that every single picture has to be set at "neutral"?
    That would make it the most boring set of pictures in the world !!
    Every pix would then look like a winter shot set at "Neutral" in terms of color !!

Imagine a sunset pix, shot at "Neutral Point", by setting the white balance at circa 3,000K, for example.....
    Where would the rich Reds, Yellows and Oranges be?

Also, there exists such things as "Color Temp Adjusters" (I just made up the name, coz I forgot what it's actualy called)

Whereby, you have a set of Blueish Cards, used to trick the camera into thinking that it was white.
    So, it comes in various shades as well. So, the nett effect is,

Card Color Pix Color
    Slightly Blue = Slightly Warm
    Light Blue = Light Warm
    Blue = Warm
    Very Blue = Very Warm

I also made up the names above, coz I forgot what it's actually called, but I think you'll get the General Idea....

Understanding Rules is important, so that you know how to break them when needed.
    Hope I'm making sense...

And uh, were you giving someone the middle-finger? Coz I see it in the pix? hahahaha
    or was it to "mark" you pix?

btw, I'm gonna do a shoot for a friend tomorrow. It's a simple Publicity-Shot for his upcoming show. You wanna come along?
    PM me....

Cheers
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Good Morning.

White Balance is White Balance....

Who sez that every single picture has to be set at "neutral"?
    That would make it the most boring set of pictures in the world !!
    Every pix would then look like a winter shot set at "Neutral" in terms of color !!

Imagine a sunset pix, shot at "Neutral Point", by setting the white balance at circa 3,000K, for example.....
    Where would the rich Reds, Yellows and Oranges be?

Also, there exists such things as "Color Temp Adjusters" (I just made up the name, coz I forgot what it's actualy called)

Whereby, you have a set of Blueish Cards, used to trick the camera into thinking that it was white.
    So, it comes in various shades as well. So, the nett effect is,

Card Color Pix Color
    Slightly Blue = Slightly Warm
    Light Blue = Light Warm
    Blue = Warm
    Very Blue = Very Warm

I also made up the names above, coz I forgot what it's actually called, but I think you'll get the General Idea....

Understanding Rules is important, so that you know how to break them when needed.
    Hope I'm making sense...

And uh, were you giving someone the middle-finger? Coz I see it in the pix? hahahaha
    or was it to "mark" you pix?

btw, I'm gonna do a shoot for a friend tomorrow. It's a simple Publicity-Shot for his upcoming show. You wanna come along?
    PM me....

Cheers
    cannot lah i got showroom duty , get your picture it will be usefull when i turn to pro,roughly get your teaching,m.......than what i have done is wrong ? i just shoot at white papaer n do nothing, than shoot this 2 pic, i find custom white look better than auto,er...m i wrong to say that ? this 2 pic which 1 look better for u ? base on point n shoot auto, n simple custom white ( set nothing like red blue etc )

Oh, nothing wrong, but ws just informing you that "Perfect White" is not necessarily "The Best" for every situation, or scenario...

Sometimes, you want "warmer", and sometimes you want "cooler". Different color temperatures evoke different feelings. So I merely wanted to impart that info to you. In a nutshell, YOU, as the photographer needs to decide, and NOT let the Camera dictate what it should be. I also think you'd better read up on How to set the White balance on your Camera. It's rather difficult for me to explain in words alone. Once you learn how to do it, then you can learn how to "over-ride" it, and set it to your own bias.

Cheers.

Oh, nothing wrong, but ws just informing you that "Perfect White" is not necessarily "The Best" for every situation, or scenario...

Sometimes, you want "warmer", and sometimes you want "cooler". Different color temperatures evoke different feelings. So I merely wanted to impart that info to you. In a nutshell, YOU, as the photographer needs to decide, and NOT let the Camera dictate what it should be. I also think you'd better read up on How to set the White balance on your Camera. It's rather difficult for me to explain in words alone. Once you learn how to do it, then you can learn how to "over-ride" it, and set it to your own bias.

Cheers.
    he he i tot i was wrong,an expert is an expert,what u teaching me was very interesting as it was something in my mind but mix up like rojak,he he dun know how to put across, last night read up some basic composition wow was impress with it, they take about s which relate very much to one of my picture, no wonder i just like the spot

was wondering the color chart u teach , use normal blue paper or special material ?

how your shoot ? any pic for me to learn ?

he he i tot i was wrong,an expert is an expert,what u teaching me was very interesting as it was something in my mind but mix up like rojak,he he dun know how to put across, last night read up some basic composition wow was impress with it, they take about s which relate very much to one of my picture, no wonder i just like the spot
    MC: Sometimes, gut feelings/ instinct is the best..

was wondering the color chart u teach , use normal blue paper or special material ?
    MC: The camera doesn't care. Just make sure that it is not too reflective, or it will confuse the meter. try it. Any ciplak paper from Popular will do. it just needs to be of a decent size enough to cover the entire pix, for the G12 to "read" it. And DON'T cast shadows on it.. That also creates problems.

how your shoot ? any pic for me to learn ?
    MC: Shoot was excellent !! Am busy getting the few pictures for the Publicity Material.
    His Performance is at the Esplanade on New Year's Eve.

Alrite. as promised, the following pix (is one of many) which came from the shoot yesterday.
    It was shot with a 50+year old Russian lens, and the effect is thus so...

Who sez that "Old is Useless"? hahahaha

Cheers

Alrite. as promised, the following pix (is one of many) which came from the shoot yesterday.
    It was shot with a 50+year old Russian lens, and the effect is thus so...

Who sez that "Old is Useless"? hahahaha

Cheers
    wow it was a gooooooooooooooooood shot,let me know again when u shoot if possible i tag a long i hide behind you to learn

er.... bro do you realise you shot your own statement ( who sez old is useless ) why ????? your friend told u ' time to call it a day '

Hahahaha... You know that I DID invite you....

"Time to call it a Day" is one of his song Titles....
    AND, indeed, this was the LAST shot, and we did call it a day !!!
    In fact, we had Breakfast/ Brunch immediately after the shoot...

Now for some "behind the scenes"...
    The "T T C I A D" words itself was photoshopped on.
    He was merely holding a BLANK piece of paper when we shot the pix, as the Final Title was not decided yet....
    In fact, it is STILL not decided yet, so we might have to change it again....

Tech Specs of the shot:
    circa 10:15 am
    Camera facing South-Southeast.
    Sun coming from behind subject; slightly to the left.
    Slightly Overcast
    No Flash, No Fill Lights, No Reflector, No Makeup, No Comb, and NO BRAINS !!! hahahaha

Both watching out for each other in case a Train decided to use the Tracks while we were shooting.
    Camera : Panasonic GF1
    Lens : Jupiter 9, 85mm f2.0 (Russian-made); shot @f2.0
    B&W Smooth setting

Post-Processing time on CS3, approx 1 hour.

Now YOUR turn, to go and shoot something nice...

first time hdr

PATH BACK HOME

Last edited by wish4me; 20th December 2010 at 04:20 PM.

sun set first time shoot

waiting game

mentor michael please cc or any1 welcome 2 sun set n waiting game

I see you went to Ubin !! hahahaha

Sunset looks a bit on the dark side. Also looks like PP done on it. The "white" spot of the sun looks like it is NOT white, as in not at the 10 on the greyscale... The shadows also look like they are "Crushed". meaning, they lack detail. Could be an over-contrast...

The fishing guy looks alrite, although I would have darkened about 5% or so of the entire image.
    I would also have cropped around 20% off from the bottom. The bottom rocks do not help tell any story.

Will introduce the Cokin filter system to you now. Google it to find what you can do with the Graduated Grey Filter. I've used it for more than 20 years now... Never had an "un-balanced" image since...

Cheers
    Last edited by michael chick; 20th December 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Not bad for some of the image, sharp and clear. While the pp spoil some of the image. up for G12. cheers =D
    You’ve got to push yourself harder.

Oh ya, also if possible DON'T put the Horizon in the middle of the image; and also, keep your horizon straight...

Cheers

I see you went to Ubin !! hahahaha

Sunset looks a bit on the dark side. Also looks like PP done on it. The "white" spot of the sun looks like it is NOT white, as in not at the 10 on the greyscale... The shadows also look like they are "Crushed". meaning, they lack detail. Could be an over-contrast...

The fishing guy looks alrite, although I would have darkened about 5% or so of the entire image.
    I would also have cropped around 20% off from the bottom. The bottom rocks do not help tell any story.

Will introduce the Cokin filter system to you now. Google it to find what you can do with the Graduated Grey Filter. I've used it for more than 20 years now... Never had an "un-balanced" image since...

Cheers
    ha ha later i redo than post again, will check out the filter

Quote Originally Posted by hkingx View Post
    Not bad for some of the image, sharp and clear. While the pp spoil some of the image. up for G12. cheers =D
    thank u

re do is it something like this

Friend... that is the RAW shot.. You can PP it to look like the below :

Friend... that is the RAW shot.. You can PP it to look like the below :

mentor chicken rice i bring laptop u show me how u do

CHICKEN RICE ??!!??!!?!?!

DEAL !!! hahahahahahaha
    I'll bring my own mouse !!! Just say when !!
    BTW, make sue that you have PHOTOSHOP !!! (any version; but older is better...)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast