Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: newbie on g12

Default Re: newbie on g12

Number has a little too much "headroom". Crop till a little above the building.

And 4 is really "Chopped" in half...

I know you are shooting reflections for both, and it's a neat way to do it, but somehow, the framing is not very right.
    Maybe some subjects need a different angle/ spot altogether??? I don't know how really to explain shot composition, and/or dynamism to you...

Look below for another example:

Quote Originally Posted by michael chick View Post
    Number has a little too much "headroom". Crop till a little above the building.

And 4 is really "Chopped" in half...

I know you are shooting reflections for both, and it's a neat way to do it, but somehow, the framing is not very right.
    Maybe some subjects need a different angle/ spot altogether??? I don't know how really to explain shot composition, and/or dynamism to you...

Look below for another example:

he he he guess it is hard to explai to newbie - among this 4 picture 3 is what i like

ya loh agree must crop a bit above head room, must go find my friend teach me how to crop picture, dun laugh at me when i took this shot i remember your statement important what is not shown,the rest u c picture u know what i mean of 2

4 ha ha ha half half fair n square was what i was thinking he he he m...... i see your picture in my newbie mind i can roughly guess what u trying to teach me, wll try apply the next time

thanks you for your valuable time to c my picture n giving out hints

Hope you get it. Now, on the other end of the scale is the long-lens side.

Long lenses "compress" the image, and will give things a very different look and feel to it. Just look below, and find subjects which will allow you to shoot them that way. Most important, for your "exercise", unzoom wide, and zoom tight to get very different perspectives. Try shooting both (wide and tele of the same scene) for now, and see which one you like. Remember to move your feet, rather than zooming to get the shot.

Let's see if this one inspires you

For some of the night shots, maybe you can try shooting while the sky is slightly brighter. Sometime we wait for hours just for the right timing to get 1 good shot.
    Move around the subject to find the "best possible angle". Go back, shoot the same subject at different time of the day, different angle etc.........

Suggested crop for your "sand" pic:

Hope you get it. Now, on the other end of the scale is the long-lens side.

Long lenses "compress" the image, and will give things a very different look and feel to it. Just look below, and find subjects which will allow you to shoot them that way. Most important, for your "exercise", unzoom wide, and zoom tight to get very different perspectives. Try shooting both (wide and tele of the same scene) for now, and see which one you like. Remember to move your feet, rather than zooming to get the shot.

Let's see if this one inspires you

ah ga ah ga catch some ball he he he m...... move my feet, i tin i get the hint, will find some thing like your picture to shoot n let u comment maybe a row of tight placed tree, should be able to get what u trying to teach

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    For some of the night shots, maybe you can try shooting while the sky is slightly brighter. Sometime we wait for hours just for the right timing to get 1 good shot.
    Move around the subject to find the "best possible angle". Go back, shoot the same subject at different time of the day, different angle etc.........

Suggested crop for your "sand" pic:

thanks bro, i need find someone teach me how to crop, i computer idiot, shot was done at 1am, no one to bother me he he he, best possible angle will bear in mind, i was wondering if that was the best angle as ( not sure if it was right to think that way ) as i wanted it to look exactly what my eye c @ the time n turn the picture up side down, u have any view on the angle it should have taken ?

Quote Originally Posted by wish4me View Post
    thanks bro, i need find someone teach me how to crop, i computer idiot, shot was done at 1am, no one to bother me he he he, best possible angle will bear in mind, i was wondering if that was the best angle as ( not sure if it was right to think that way ) as i wanted it to look exactly what my eye c @ the time n turn the picture up side down, u have any view on the angle it should have taken ?
    Someone in the earlier post mentioned that your photos are more of a snap shot. I agreed with him. That's what normally holiday snapper do for "memory" photo.

No one can tell you which is the best possible angle, only you can decide.
    Try not to do cropping on computer. Do it in camera, aka the framing.
    Like I mentioned in my earlier post:
    walk around the subject
    choose the "best possible angle"
    Study the light angle. If the light is not right, go back another day to shoot.
    Try different exposure timing, try different local length.
    Shoot the same subject again and again till you are happy with the result.

Some may say digital photography are "free" shoot and you can always shoot many to choose one. I say, Make every shot count. Shoot and study the shot and reshoot. This is how I learn my photography during the film day.

I remember someone telling me: He can take picture as better then me because he have a more expensive camera than mine and he can always shoot hundred of shots to choose 1 good shot. fyi:He use a Leica and I'm using a Nikon FM.

Oh ya! one more thing. Buy a tripod!

Bro, you are getting better every day. Keep on shooting and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    Someone in the earlier post mentioned that your photos are more of a snap shot. I agreed with him. That's what normally holiday snapper do for "memory" photo.

No one can tell you which is the best possible angle, only you can decide.
    Try not to do cropping on computer. Do it in camera, aka the framing.
    Like I mentioned in my earlier post:
    walk around the subject
    choose the "best possible angle"
    Study the light angle. If the light is not right, go back another day to shoot.
    Try different exposure timing, try different local length.
    Shoot the same subject again and again till you are happy with the result.

Some may say digital photography are "free" shoot and you can always shoot many to choose one. I say, Make every shot count. Shoot and study the shot and reshoot. This is how I learn my photography during the film day.

I remember someone telling me: He can take picture as better then me because he have a more expensive camera than mine and he can always shoot hundred of shots to choose 1 good shot. fyi:He use a Leica and I'm using a Nikon FM.
    =37 old man first pns camera having fun with snap shot, 1 day whn i m over 40 i will be like a pro with all the advice learn from the bro here

= y cannot computer crop if camera framing is not possible ? what ya means different local lenght ( u mean focal length ? btw what it means )

= i try make one shot one killer ( bluff lah i take a few shot than choose the best )

= funny statement, my friend fishing equipment over 1000 catch 1kg fish, i lazy bum use $5 hand line also catch the same fish, strictly speaking ( 2 much ai drama ) dslr got advantage over pns,but give a pro s95 he can take super picture,give me dslr u die laughing at my picture

Quote Originally Posted by colourfulfaces View Post
    Bro, you are getting better every day. Keep on shooting and learning.
    thank u

=37 old man first pns camera having fun with snap shot, 1 day whn i m over 40 i will be like a pro with all the advice learn from the bro here
    Don't call yourself old man, you are much younger then I am!

= y cannot computer crop if camera framing is not possible ? what ya means different local lenght ( u mean focal length ? btw what it means )
    I say "TRY NOT TO!" not "Can not"
    It is focal length = Different lens e.g. 24mm and 120mm is of different focal length.

= i try make one shot one killer ( bluff lah i take a few shot than choose the best )
    when we say make every shot count, doesn't meant we only take one shot each. We still do bracketing sometime or different focal length.

= funny statement, my friend fishing equipment over 1000 catch 1kg fish, i lazy bum use $5 hand line also catch the same fish, strictly speaking ( 2 much ai drama ) dslr got advantage over pns,but give a pro s95 he can take super picture,give me dslr u die laughing at my picture
    Definitely there are always "better" camera out there. Just learn how to take good picture with your chosen camera and learn to live with the limitation it had.

I would love to drive a Lamborghini but no money so I drive a Mit instead.

Dear All, why don't you start posting a few pixes here, so that it becomes easier for our friend to understand and learn.
    It's very hard to visualize based on words. Also, put up your own pixes, so that he will know that it is possible.

Far too many people put up other people's pictures, as if they only knew that it can be done, but cannot achieve it themselves...

Ya?
    I'll start first....

Shot with the 9-18mm Olympus. 2 picture stitch in CS3.

Oh, and BTW, the BEST camera for you, is the one which you hold in your hands...
    "Sharpen your skills, and NOT your lens"....

Dear All, why don't you start posting a few pixes here, so that it becomes easier for our friend to understand and learn.
    It's very hard to visualize based on words. Also, put up your own pixes, so that he will know that it is possible.

Far too many people put up other people's pictures, as if they only knew that it can be done, but cannot achieve it themselves...

Ya?
    I'll start first....

Shot with the 9-18mm Olympus. 2 picture stitch in CS3.

Oh, and BTW, the BEST camera for you, is the one which you hold in your hands...
    "Sharpen your skills, and NOT your lens"....
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD IDEA everybody learn, this picture stitch, i must go find out what it is all about, agree with what u say, i was even thinking of trying ir on g12 ( dun laugh at me )

Infra-red on the G9 is POSSIBLE !! Just get the Bayonett-mount Tube for the G12, and it has 58mm thread. (My G9 had a 58mm thread anyway)
    Just buy the correct HOYA filter, and screw it on.

Then shoot using manual settings. I chose to use the B&W Mode for this.

And the end result is like below:

Lightning was a stroke of luck. It was stormy at Lake Toba that day...

Infra-red on the G9 is POSSIBLE !! Just get the Bayonett-mount Tube for the G12, and it has 58mm thread. (My G9 had a 58mm thread anyway)
    Just buy the correct HOYA filter, and screw it on.

Then shoot using manual settings. I chose to use the B&W Mode for this.

And the end result is like below:

Lightning was a stroke of luck. It was stormy at Lake Toba that day...
    wow bro michael your brother show u r well travel beside being a bro photographer , he he thanks for double confirmation that g12 can do ir, it is 52mm thread, i read about ir in this forum, many question going thru my mind, need shifu expertise to share share , do i really need to cs or ps after a shot ( cs ps still figuring how to use he he ) your photo look good to me so i wonder can i just use a nice spot/angle n take a shot n wa la i got my first ir ?

i read it need to be done at 9am to 11am is this true ? do i need to use f8 n set to 6sec or more to take a ir picture ?

thanks
    Last edited by wish4me; 3rd December 2010 at 12:03 PM.

cool

thanks for double confirmation that g12 can do ir, it is 52mm thread,
    MC: Can remember, as I said... it was a while ago.

i read about ir in this forum, many question going thru my mind, need shifu expertise to share share , do i really need to cs or ps after a shot ( cs ps still figuring how to use he he ) your photo look good to me so i wonder can i just use a nice spot/angle n take a shot n wa la i got my first ir ?
    MC: Oh, am sure you'll figure it out...

i read it need to be done at 9am to 11am is this true ?
    MC: BULLSHIT !!! That's timing for regular pictures.
    3 hours after sunrise, and 3 hours before sunset are the best times
    This only applies for indoor pictures though.... coz side-lighting and backlighting is obvious.

do i need to use f8 n set to 6sec or more to take a ir picture ?
    MC: Check you meter, and reshoot if unhappy with the preview.
    It's what I call "Black-art"... hard to teach this one....

See below:

taken at around 4 pm, in Yangon, Burma

Cheers

thanks for double confirmation that g12 can do ir, it is 52mm thread,
    MC: Can remember, as I said... it was a while ago.

i read about ir in this forum, many question going thru my mind, need shifu expertise to share share , do i really need to cs or ps after a shot ( cs ps still figuring how to use he he ) your photo look good to me so i wonder can i just use a nice spot/angle n take a shot n wa la i got my first ir ?
    MC: Oh, am sure you'll figure it out...

i read it need to be done at 9am to 11am is this true ?
    MC: BULLSHIT !!! That's timing for regular pictures.
    3 hours after sunrise, and 3 hours before sunset are the best times
    This only applies for indoor pictures though.... coz side-lighting and backlighting is obvious.

do i need to use f8 n set to 6sec or more to take a ir picture ?
    MC: Check you meter, and reshoot if unhappy with the preview.
    It's what I call "Black-art"... hard to teach this one....

See below:

taken at around 4 pm, in Yangon, Burma

Cheers
    everytime i c your picture my jaws drop,my colleagues ask me when i can shoot like that he he he this latest picture also 2 picture join to 1 ?

first time try marco he he he......... it was fun n relaxing
    u used extra lenses for such macro?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast