Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Mountain Climbing

  1. #1

    Default Mountain Climbing

    Is there any mountain climber here? Im interested to do it also and Im planning to go to Malaysia during weekends but i dont have any idea where to go... Any idea? or can i join you in your next adventrure?
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

  2. #2

    Default

    u can try boac-online.com or sac.org

    they do have regular short trips, mainly to malaysia.
    Last edited by wilis128; 16th June 2004 at 05:24 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default how big?

    How big mountain u want? 1000m or 4000m or 6000m or the death zone?

    me planning next 2-3years going back to nepal to do a 6000m peak or to europe to do a 4000m or maybe back to NZ to climb. are u keen in any? PM me ur experiences and we can work something out. shd be a relax n lots of phototaking along the way type..no sponsorship obligation, no summit pressure..just fun!

    but me no keen in any Malaysia peak, coz my leave is limited so going to keep for a 1-2wks trip, rather than a 3-4 SE Asia trip.

    if cash n work n leave permit, end of yr maybe a trip to nepal/tibet/bhutan, shd not be going up any mountain but to see them, from a distance.

    keith

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    shd be a relax n lots of phototaking along the way type..no sponsorship obligation, no summit pressure..just fun!
    thats what i want... dont have any experience yet..
    i think 2 days is enough
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

  5. #5

    Default

    if u dun hv any experience yet, u may want to try out 1000m range peaks first before attempting the harder ones..

    many mountains in malaysia can be done on 2d/1n or even day trip over the wknd w/out the need to take any leave. no need to go that far, for a start johor has plenty of short mountains to trek eg ophir, belumut, lambak, panti, muntahak etc etc.. they're all within 2-3 hrs bus journey away from spore.

    do check out boac-online.com for their trips. i've no relation with them whatsoever.. only joined their trips previously, and found the organisers friendly n accomodating bunch.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Look up sac.org, x-trekkers.com or boac-online.com. These are good places to start before deciding how far you want to go.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Look up sac.org, x-trekkers.com or boac-online.com. These are good places to start before deciding how far you want to go.
    I've been to belumut, carried a D30 + 24-70 lens + tripod up there to shoot.
    not much things to shoot actually.. hehe...

  8. #8

    Default

    Hi keith me also planning to go back Nepal next year for the Grand Everest Trek or the Annapurna Circuit Trek and photogarphy. Are you going to Tibet end of the year? Best month to go Tibet is September to October, don't go after Oct. it will be very cold!!! Just came back from Tibet last year for phototaking the place was a dream place for photographer. Go, Go, Go....

    Good Days!!!
    Andros

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    How big mountain u want? 1000m or 4000m or 6000m or the death zone?

    me planning next 2-3years going back to nepal to do a 6000m peak or to europe to do a 4000m or maybe back to NZ to climb. are u keen in any? PM me ur experiences and we can work something out. shd be a relax n lots of phototaking along the way type..no sponsorship obligation, no summit pressure..just fun!

    but me no keen in any Malaysia peak, coz my leave is limited so going to keep for a 1-2wks trip, rather than a 3-4 SE Asia trip.

    if cash n work n leave permit, end of yr maybe a trip to nepal/tibet/bhutan, shd not be going up any mountain but to see them, from a distance.

    keith

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ros
    Hi keith me also planning to go back Nepal next year for the Grand Everest Trek or the Annapurna Circuit Trek and photogarphy. Are you going to Tibet end of the year? Best month to go Tibet is September to October, don't go after Oct. it will be very cold!!! Just came back from Tibet last year for phototaking the place was a dream place for photographer. Go, Go, Go....

    Good Days!!!
    Andros
    thanks for tip! so next yr nepal who u going with? cost? maybe i am keen too..just spent $1k+ on tomorrow trip to angkor wat and current plan is to budget for a digital body/tele zoom lens then next yr go for trip again, most prob after july after looking at how SMALL the performance bonus i can get then Sept-Nov will plan for a 1-2wks trip.. regret selling off my 70-200 earlier..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ros
    Hi keith me also planning to go back Nepal next year for the Grand Everest Trek or the Annapurna Circuit Trek and photogarphy. Are you going to Tibet end of the year? Best month to go Tibet is September to October, don't go after Oct. it will be very cold!!! Just came back from Tibet last year for phototaking the place was a dream place for photographer. Go, Go, Go....

    Good Days!!!
    Andros
    Hi Ros, Can you share some of your pictures taken from tibet? Wonder what it looks like
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default u want mountains? go for the free talk! i shd be there..

    Celebrated British mountaineer and author Doug Scott, CBE; will be
    presenting " Sacred Summits", an illustrated lecture on some of his best
    climbs around the world; followed the day after with an evening seminar on
    " Himalayas: Alpine Style ". Scott is best known as the first Briton to
    summit Mt Everest in 1975, together with Dougal Haston. He is credited as
    being a leading mountaineer of his generation with many first ascents around
    the world.

    Talk venue: Jubilee Hall, Raffles Hotel, 1900hrs, June 30th Wednesday
    Admission: Free

    Evening seminar venue: ClimbAdventure, 10 Hoe Chiang Place, Keppel Towers,
    01-04/04
    July 1st, 7pm
    Admission: $10 first come first served ( 25 places only )

    NB: About 10 places have been reserved for the seminar already - dont be
    late

    Organised by: The Singapore Mountaineering Federation. and supported by the
    SIngapore Sports Council

    Contact tel: Mr Faizal 62209505

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agila
    Hi Ros, Can you share some of your pictures taken from tibet? Wonder what it looks like
    Hi Agila, sorry i took mainly slide and i do not have a slide scanner so i can't post the slide here. For Keith i'm still looking for some of my friend to go Nepal trekking and photography. Looking at group of 4 to 6 person to go(not comfirm yet). For Annapurna circuit trek you need about 22--24 days and will cost you about 2+K Exclude personnal item. This July i'm going to Mongolia for photo shooting for 13 days and i'm may do a slide show on Mongolia at Macpherson C.C. on around September. Like to come and see!!!

    Many Thanks!!!
    Ros

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Reservoir Dude
    Posts
    534

    Default

    a bit late on this thread... but if it helps...

    new climber and but need 4 days.. best mountain to climb is Mount Kinabalu,
    http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6293/

    good shoot site for birds and scenary too (fabulous sunrise view from top).
    easy climb, no ropes needed, more hike then climb, but high enuff.

    general itenary,
    Day 1 - arrive at KK airport abt 1pm, take coach to base camp, arrive at 3pm. Rest...
    Day 2 - leave at 7am, hike for abt 6-7 hours reach 3/4 rest lodge... go around take photos, evening sun. sleep.
    Day 3 - leave 3/4 lodge at 3.30am, head for top, reach before sunrise, shoot till abt 8am... then take the scary hike back all the way down, can reach base camp by 4-5pm. take coach back to KK for evening shoot around town.
    (if got more time, can change itenary here to go Poring Hot Springs or go north to Sandakan for river and monkeys shoot).
    Day 4 - balek to Singapore...

    Cheers,
    Sabah boy...

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benleez
    a bit late on this thread... but if it helps...

    new climber and but need 4 days.. best mountain to climb is Mount Kinabalu,
    http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6293/

    good shoot site for birds and scenary too (fabulous sunrise view from top).
    easy climb, no ropes needed, more hike then climb, but high enuff.

    general itenary,
    Day 1 - arrive at KK airport abt 1pm, take coach to base camp, arrive at 3pm. Rest...
    Day 2 - leave at 7am, hike for abt 6-7 hours reach 3/4 rest lodge... go around take photos, evening sun. sleep.
    Day 3 - leave 3/4 lodge at 3.30am, head for top, reach before sunrise, shoot till abt 8am... then take the scary hike back all the way down, can reach base camp by 4-5pm. take coach back to KK for evening shoot around town.
    (if got more time, can change itenary here to go Poring Hot Springs or go north to Sandakan for river and monkeys shoot).
    Day 4 - balek to Singapore...

    Cheers,
    Sabah boy...
    actually, for the super super fit with no fear of altitude sickness and those with very tight schedule.. can climb KK in 2D/1N from spore.. how?

    day 1:
    -take 7.30am flight to kota kinabalu from Senai.. arriving at KK 9.35am.
    -take cab from airport to Padang bus terminal
    -plenty time to catch 11am bus to Kinabalu park, arriving Kinabalu Park b4 1pm. arrange climbing permit, engage guide etc on the spot.
    -start climbing 2.30pm the latest. as u're super fit, reaching laban rate 6.30pm is not a problem at all.

    day2: after summit at bout 6am... u can descend back to laban rata about 9am.. after a short breakfast break at laban rata, descend back to kinabalu park. expect to reach bout 12pm to 1pm.. after collecting your certificate, catch a bus back to kota kinabalu... u still hv some time left before your flight departs at 8.30pm back to Senai

    of course dats for the super fit not for me obviously

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Reservoir Dude
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilis128
    actually, for the super super fit with no fear of altitude sickness and those with very tight schedule.. can climb KK in 2D/1N from spore.. how?

    day 1:
    -take 7.30am flight to kota kinabalu from Senai.. arriving at KK 9.35am.
    -take cab from airport to Padang bus terminal
    -plenty time to catch 11am bus to Kinabalu park, arriving Kinabalu Park b4 1pm. arrange climbing permit, engage guide etc on the spot.
    -start climbing 2.30pm the latest. as u're super fit, reaching laban rate 6.30pm is not a problem at all.

    day2: after summit at bout 6am... u can descend back to laban rata about 9am.. after a short breakfast break at laban rata, descend back to kinabalu park. expect to reach bout 12pm to 1pm.. after collecting your certificate, catch a bus back to kota kinabalu... u still hv some time left before your flight departs at 8.30pm back to Senai

    of course dats for the super fit not for me obviously

    to you... all I can say is "Wah Biang Eh!!! Siong siah!!!"

  16. #16

    Default

    hmmm I'm keen on Kinabalu Trip. Should we arrange?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Reservoir Dude
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer
    hmmm I'm keen on Kinabalu Trip. Should we arrange?
    Hmmm... me going on either the 21-22nd or 28th-29th weekend, prob do a 4 day thingy... anyone else interested? can go together...

  18. #18

    Default

    Keithjhee, O dear looks like I joined this forum too late! How could I have missed Doug Scott in S'pore!!!! I have read everyone of his adventures.

    Ros, I've done Annapurna Circuit and it is a mind blowing trek. You will not regret one bit. Kali Kandaki is awesome....!!!! Spend more time in Manang. It is well worth the stay. But try not to stay in Manang town but stay with a family for the added authentic experience. Circuit is doable in 21 days but 22 or 23 is fine. No rush. And of course don't miss the sunrise at Poon Hill. If you can still catch your breath, take lots of pics on Thorung La although please be very very careful, avalanche threat is very real esp during winter.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigberd
    Keithjhee, O dear looks like I joined this forum too late! How could I have missed Doug Scott in S'pore!!!! I have read everyone of his adventures.
    Sign up for SAC's mailing list, they are SMF affiliates. You will be informed of such events in future.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigberd
    Keithjhee, O dear looks like I joined this forum too late! How could I have missed Doug Scott in S'pore!!!! I have read everyone of his adventures.

    Ros, I've done Annapurna Circuit and it is a mind blowing trek. You will not regret one bit. Kali Kandaki is awesome....!!!! Spend more time in Manang. It is well worth the stay. But try not to stay in Manang town but stay with a family for the added authentic experience. Circuit is doable in 21 days but 22 or 23 is fine. No rush. And of course don't miss the sunrise at Poon Hill. If you can still catch your breath, take lots of pics on Thorung La although please be very very careful, avalanche threat is very real esp during winter.

    Hi Bigberd, I have done the Poon Hill two year back and yes is awesome. for Annapurna i may not came down on Poon Hill side, i choose the Tatopani to Beni way.What time is best to trek the Annapurna Circuit? Tomorrow i'm off to Mongolia for 13 days and hope to have some nice photo for my slide show on 5/9/04 at Macpherson C.C. Thanks for pointing out the avalanche threat at Thorung La. Thanks again and Good Nite Take Care!!!

    Many Thanks!!!
    Ros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •