Thread: Beijing Custom

Default Beijing Custom

I am heading to Beijing soon and will be bringing 3 high-end lenses and 1 full-frame body for photo trip. I recently heard news that some people were forced to pay import duties on their personal iPad even though they showed the customs officer that it was for their personal use.

My question is.. do you walk to the RED channel and declare your gears automatically especially you are bringing a number of high-end equipment. If you use the RED channel will the custom office give you trouble even through you declare ?

Or if you are tourist you just walk through the GREEN channel but what if they check you.

I like to hear experience from folks who have returned from Beijing recently.

Default Re: Beijing Custom

Well, not sure why they were made to pay custom duty for their iPad. Maybe, the iPad was still in 'unopened' conditions which warrants the custom duty payment (for reasons only the Chinese Government would know).

I am sure your camera equipment is already out of the box and packed into your camera bag. As such, you do not have to declare them for custom duty. The green zone should suffice unless you do have other items that require declaration.

I have been in and out of China with my equipment and have not encountered any problem - be it domestic or international flights into China.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    I am heading to Beijing soon and will be bringing 3 high-end lenses and 1 full-frame body for photo trip. I recently heard news that some people were forced to pay import duties on their personal iPad even though they showed the customs officer that it was for their personal use.

My question is.. do you walk to the RED channel and declare your gears automatically especially you are bringing a number of high-end equipment. If you use the RED channel will the custom office give you trouble even through you declare ?

Or if you are tourist you just walk through the GREEN channel but what if they check you.

I like to hear experience from folks who have returned from Beijing recently.

What i know is that, the regulations only apply to the local passport, since ours is a foreign passport, there shouldnt be any problems...
    Think its best that you confirm with some reliable sources.
    Cheers

Yes, that's true. I was at Beijing in early October and I saw the signage about duties and taxes at the airport. It applies to the Chinese Passport holders only. No much problem for tourists

Quote Originally Posted by Libertas View Post
    What i know is that, the regulations only apply to the local passport, since ours is a foreign passport, there shouldnt be any problems...
    Think its best that you confirm with some reliable sources.
    Cheers

Me and my group of pple have been travel thru PRC custom so far none have problem and the rule does not apple to foreign passport.

BeiJing custom have the most polite and best custom officer compare with the rest in PRC.