Thread: The Problem with Fast Lenses......

Default The Problem with Fast Lenses......

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...acturers.shtml

"In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended."

Check out where Nikon sits on the graphs.
    Last edited by Hacker; 10th November 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Default Re: The Problem with Fast Lenses......

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...acturers.shtml

"In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended."

Check out where Nikon sits on the graphs.
    And see where these bodies sit in the graphs, see the difference between the (D90, D300, D300s) and (D40 to D80)
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

I feel fine with the fact camera manufacturers "game the system" to achieve correct exposure rather than taking videography's approach. In videography they ultimately need a consistent exposure & noise level throught the whole clip, a bit of change in DoF wont affect viewer's experience much.

Vise versa it's a completely different story in photography. We want to CONTROL exactly how much DoF in evey single shoot by F stop. Therefore if we adopt the T stop approach, we will end-up with inconsistent DoF (constant shutter speed) for the photo series if we change lens.

I dont know how true this statement ""In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended." But I'm pretty sure that my 50mm f/1.4 produce thinner DoF than my 50mm f/1.8 haha.

Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    I feel fine with the fact camera manufacturers "game the system" to achieve correct exposure rather than taking videography's approach. In videography they ultimately need a consistent exposure & noise level throught the whole clip, a bit of change in DoF wont affect viewer's experience much.

Vise versa it's a completely different story in photography. We want to CONTROL exactly how much DoF in evey single shoot by F stop. Therefore if we adopt the T stop approach, we will end-up with inconsistent DoF (constant shutter speed) for the photo series if we change lens.

I dont know how true this statement ""In fact, is not even clear that large aperture lenses will deliver a shallower depth of field as intended." But I'm pretty sure that my 50mm f/1.4 produce thinner DoF than my 50mm f/1.8 haha.
    and my 50 1.2 produces shallower dof than my 50 1.4... but then again they were tlaking about cmos sensors n my d200 uses ccd.. i hope thats not the case tho, cos i want shallow dof..
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Interesting to see how it unfolds. But i dun think it will impact much users in a sense. I still appreciate my fast primes

Ryan

Wow! This is an interesting article....