Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: not sharp

  1. #1

    Default not sharp

    why i use F13 le pic still not sharp de? with tripod,mirror lockup,timer and IS off??

  2. #2
    Member songwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: not sharp

    you probably need to provide a lot more details...

    your lens, your subject and more...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    beside jurong point
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: not sharp

    Post a pic so we can advice.

  4. #4

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    why i use F13 le pic still not sharp de? with tripod,mirror lockup,timer and IS off??
    what's the shutter speed and what's the subject.

  5. #5

    Default Re: not sharp

    Are you french? "le pic"? From what I can read there are many things that are not sharp, and it's probably not the lens.

    So please post a sample pic and maybe we can help you more.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: not sharp

    Why do people keep on insisting that architects and/or contractors should provide a quote based on a miserable declaration of

    "build me a house. It has to have many rooms. Some rooms need to be 13m square, and as for the super-duper minor details ... never de mind AAAhhhhhh.

    No need show peekchure of what si mik what house I like lah!

    Marnie haw much AHHHH???
    "



    PLEASE provide EXIX details and a sample PHOTOGRAPH if you would like members to assist.

  7. #7

    Default Re: not sharp

    Depending on lens, F13 doesn't mean your images will be sharp...it is just the depth of field has increased. Otherwise you can shoot at F22 to get even sharper images.

    Usually I would avoid going beyond F11 as diffraction would kick in and affecting IQ. Anyway we would need a picture from you before more conclusions can be made.

    One more possibility: where is your focus point of the subject?

  8. #8
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: not sharp

    probably just a case of mis-focus...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  9. #9

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Otherwise you can shoot at F22 to get even sharper images.
    Incorrect. Diffraction sets in.
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Depending on lens, F13 doesn't mean your images will be sharp...it is just the depth of field has increased. Otherwise you can shoot at F22 to get even sharper images.

    Usually I would avoid going beyond F11 as diffraction would kick in and affecting IQ. Anyway we would need a picture from you before more conclusions can be made.

    One more possibility: where is your focus point of the subject?
    HAR??????!!!

    Diffraction is also called "small aperture diffraction". If happens when the aperture is too small. Usually any aperture smaller than F16 (bigger F number) on a APS-C sensor camera, diffraction starts to set in and you start losing sharpness...

    Please. If you don't know the subject matter, or not sure, best to keep your mouth shut. It is ok to not know stuff...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    HAR??????!!!

    Diffraction is also called "small aperture diffraction". If happens when the aperture is too small. Usually any aperture smaller than F16 (bigger F number) on a APS-C sensor camera, diffraction starts to set in and you start losing sharpness...

    Please. If you don't know the subject matter, or not sure, best to keep your mouth shut. It is ok to not know stuff...
    Read his whole post again...?
    he meant that DOF increases along with the aperture number and not the sharpness, if not we'll all shoot at f22 to get the maximum sharpness.

    I hope you get what he originally meant and what i mean
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

  12. #12

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post


    PLEASE provide EXIX details and a sample PHOTOGRAPH if you would like members to assist.
    EXIF....

  13. #13

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    Read his whole post again...?
    he meant that DOF increases along with the aperture number and not the sharpness, if not we'll all shoot at f22 to get the maximum sharpness.

    I hope you get what he originally meant and what i mean
    and it is also a fact that as you stop down more, you get more diffraction.

    so you can't just pull it out of the equation and say that it is correct in theory... because we're talking about reality here.

  14. #14

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Depending on lens, F13 doesn't mean your images will be sharp...it is just the depth of field has increased. Otherwise you can shoot at F22 to get even sharper images.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    he meant that DOF increases along with the aperture number and not the sharpness, if not we'll all shoot at f22 to get the maximum sharpness.

    Somehow I find that the 2nd part of these 2 statements contradicts the 1st. You're saying a small aperture of f/13 only increases DOF and not sharpness, but if one wants to achieve even sharper images then one should shoot at an even smaller aperture of f/22??

    FYI, shooting at small aperture such as f/22 will result in loss in sharpness due to diffraction.

    Anyway TS, a picture paints a thousand words. Perhaps a sample here will be helpful. Too much speculation going on.
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    Read his whole post again...?
    he meant that DOF increases along with the aperture number and not the sharpness, if not we'll all shoot at f22 to get the maximum sharpness.

    I hope you get what he originally meant and what i mean
    OK... i misread part of his post. My bad.

    But do know, part of the "sharpness" factors, is focus. The deeper the DOF, more things will be in focus, making the more of the picture sharper.

    But still diffraction do not kick in beyond F11 for most DSLRs. For APS-C diffraction mostly kicks in with apertures smaller than F16. For FF, you can stop down even more before diffraction kicks in. For small sensor prosumer PnS cameras, diffraction can kick in with apertures as small as F11.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th November 2010 at 09:52 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: not sharp

    still no sign of TS... i'm wondering why TS specifically chose F13?
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by newghost View Post
    still no sign of TS... i'm wondering why TS specifically chose F13?
    F13 mah = Friday the 13th...

    Halloween mood I guess.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    439

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    But still diffraction do not kick in beyond F11 for most DSLRs. For APS-C diffraction mostly kicks in with apertures smaller than F16. For FF, you can stop down even more before diffraction kicks in. For small sensor prosumer PnS cameras, diffraction can kick in with apertures as small as F11.
    For p&s, diffraction sets in even earlier around f4-5.6. 4/3 starts showing diffraction around f11. How dare you imply that 4/3 is prosumer p&s!!

    Anyways for those interested, can read this: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm
    Just photograph what you think is beautiful - that is all that matters. ~ Wing Shya ~
    .:Flickr:.

  19. #19

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by newghost View Post
    still no sign of TS... i'm wondering why TS specifically chose F13?
    Maybe this thread was moved to newbies corner & TS found the thread lost from origin.

  20. #20

    Default Re: not sharp

    Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    why i use F13 le pic still not sharp de? with tripod,mirror lockup,timer and IS off??
    Have you consider that tripod itself might shake? The ground where the tripod stands may not be stable? Even an itsy bitsy unnoticeable movement can be the cause.
    Last edited by coolthought; 11th November 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •