Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparation for overseas trip

Default Preparation for overseas trip

First post!

Because I am going to HK soon, I want to practice on my photography skills first. A few questions I want to ask before I start my training (: I will prob be taking on people's expressions (meeting up with my friends)/ portrait shots, sceneries and prob some fun photography (fisheye) when I am over in HK.

1) I have a D90 + 18-105 kit lens, what other lens do you think I can get? I'm thinking to get 35mm/ 50mm/ fisheye or macro (prob 105mm)

2) Any good budget lens for recommendation? (for the above mentioned lens)

3) Any good place in singapore where I can do Street Photography? And capture human expression?

Some response will be appreciated

Default Re: Preparation for overseas trip

I tot a uwa might be better than a fisheye. For me, I'm thinking of getting either the Tokina 11 - 16 or 12 - 24. I've also the Nikon 35/1.8, which so far, I've not even used it..hahahaa

I'm using the same body and lens as you. Maybe you can consider CPL filter or something as well maybe.

whatever fits your style.

for the nightlife, might want a fast prime in your bag like the rather inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 which is quite compact.

if its going to be photography oriented, feel free to bring whatever you want but if not then less might be best eg, a simple PnS which you can carry around whole day and fast to use at a moment notice.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by littleda View Post
    First post!

Because I am going to HK soon, I want to practice on my photography skills first. A few questions I want to ask before I start my training (: I will prob be taking on people's expressions (meeting up with my friends)/ portrait shots, sceneries and prob some fun photography (fisheye) when I am over in HK.

1) I have a D90 + 18-105 kit lens, what other lens do you think I can get? I'm thinking to get 35mm/ 50mm/ fisheye or macro (prob 105mm)

2) Any good budget lens for recommendation? (for the above mentioned lens)

3) Any good place in singapore where I can do Street Photography? And capture human expression?

Some response will be appreciated

For candid/street shots, you may wish to try at our Little India or China Town, i love taking street shots over there. You need to learn do a bit of long exposure when you go to the Peak in HK (night scenery). For this, you may need a tripod (pls get a good ones) . . .

Most here will recommend the all favorite 50mm f1.8, affordable and it give quite a good output, unless you want to spend a couple of hundreds more to get a better ones . . . so it actrually depend on your budget . . . look up at the Price Guide and you can get a feel of what you can and want to get . . .

Most importantly, enjoy your trip . . .

Oh . . . i think you can get lens cheaper in HK too.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Blog Entries

If you are going to HK, buy lenses over there in HK... a lot cheaper. People here travel to HK specifically just to get lenses.

To check HK lens pricing use: www.price.com.hk
    exchange rate is 1 to 5.7 now I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberTron88 View Post
    I tot a uwa might be better than a fisheye. For me, I'm thinking of getting either the Tokina 11 - 16 or 12 - 24. I've also the Nikon 35/1.8, which so far, I've not even used it..hahahaa

I'm using the same body and lens as you. Maybe you can consider CPL filter or something as well maybe.
    Ahaha! I'll probably get a UWA when I'm back, or when I'm in hk (: 18-105 has a slight wide angle range, so I will prob stick to that for a while till i get my hands on a real UWA :9 haha, maybe you can tell me your experience with 35mm soon! (: as for the CPL filter, I will need to play around with it first, but for now, I think using my sunglasses works pretty okay (trying to save as much before the big trip!)

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    whatever fits your style.

for the nightlife, might want a fast prime in your bag like the rather inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 which is quite compact.

if its going to be photography oriented, feel free to bring whatever you want but if not then less might be best eg, a simple PnS which you can carry around whole day and fast to use at a moment notice.
    Woots! thanks for the advice! but would 35mm be a better choice? I don't really have a preference to any because I like both For my trip, I am planning to bring S90 along too (to take pictures on my friend's wedding day).

style-wise, i'm more towards macro shoots, but i don't think it's going to be useful when you're a tourist in HK. so I guess its time to start playing around more! (:

Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    For candid/street shots, you may wish to try at our Little India or China Town, i love taking street shots over there. You need to learn do a bit of long exposure when you go to the Peak in HK (night scenery). For this, you may need a tripod (pls get a good ones) . . .

Most here will recommend the all favorite 50mm f1.8, affordable and it give quite a good output, unless you want to spend a couple of hundreds more to get a better ones . . . so it actrually depend on your budget . . . look up at the Price Guide and you can get a feel of what you can and want to get . . .

Most importantly, enjoy your trip . . .

Oh . . . i think you can get lens cheaper in HK too.
    ahahahaa! Thanks! I will prob post some pics out for you guys to view and comment (: in case you're interested you can start commenting on some photos of mine first :9 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/footprints-/, my friend's www.flickr.com/photos/white_fields & http://www.flickr.com/photos/13396134@N08/) training wise, I think I'll need to complete my punggol sunset shoots with my friend first before moving on to street photography (i don't think we'll move until we capture the right moment ) I have 6 more months before the big event of the year! (: so that give me lots of time to practice! hehe.. one question though, won't 35mm be better cause 50mm might be a little narrow for indoor shoots

won't it be heavy to carry a tripod around HK? and i'm planning to get a few more lens while i'm there :P that will prob include the fisheye.. hehe..

If you want, we can prob organize a street shoot outing one day. It will be great! (:

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you are going to HK, buy lenses over there in HK... a lot cheaper. People here travel to HK specifically just to get lenses.

To check HK lens pricing use: www.price.com.hk
    exchange rate is 1 to 5.7 now I think.

Woots, thanks for the great advice!! (: to be honest, I joined CS for about 1 year already (didn't write any post because I was busy reading all the advice, and slowly playing around with my cammy). Since this is a big event for me (attending my first HK wedding), I guess I shouldn't be wasting any time, better clear any worries and doubts before everything is too late :P

I'm only going in late april 2011, so exchange rate will be different, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to exchange some cash now!

Sharing wise: http://www.flickr.com/photos/footprints-/ comments are appreciated! (:

Speaking of sharing, here's my friend's website: www.flickr.com/photos/white_fields & http://www.flickr.com/photos/13396134@N08/ They're REALLY good, I must say (:

Blog Entries

Sharing wise: http://www.flickr.com/photos/footprints-/ comments are appreciated! (:

Speaking of sharing, here's my friend's website: www.flickr.com/photos/white_fields & http://www.flickr.com/photos/13396134@N08/ They're REALLY good, I must say (:
    Saw your site. You need to work on your exposure and composition more.

BTW here is my site if you are interested. http://www.wix.com/darthbertz/photography

Whitefields is your friend? He knows us... you should ask him about us. And join some of our newbie outings.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th November 2010 at 02:34 PM.

BTW here is my site if you are interested. http://www.wix.com/darthbertz/photography

Whitefields is your friend? He knows us... you should ask him about us. And join some of our newbie outings.
    Your pictures are so good. I'm so impressed. Ever consider conducting a photog class for us? or start a noob photog outing?
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Your pictures are so good. I'm so impressed. Ever consider conducting a photog class for us? or start a noob photog outing?
    Thanks bro.

I have been guiding at newbie outings bro... under the [SunChasersSG] tag.

Thanks bro.

I have been guiding at newbie outings bro... under the [SunChasersSG] tag.
    Oh I didn't know that. When is the next outing?
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Blog Entries

This coming saturday. We are going to share and experiment with studio lighting. But it is full already since studio can only take so many people. Will PM you when the next one happens.

OMG! your pictures are SO NICEEEEE! And thanks for the advice!! Guess I really need to start my training soon (feeling pretty guilty about that)... And yup! whitefields is my friend, and i'll definitely ask him about it (: When's the next newbie outing? Cause I've been busy (work in the day + sch at night), but i'll try and join the next upcoming one! (i'll prob ask whitefields to join me).

Sorry to bother you, but can you PM me (the next outing) in case I missed out any outing notification??

And I guess its time for me to upload more pics :P been placing all my pics in fb rather than flickr (feeling guilty about this too -.-")
    Last edited by littleda; 12th November 2010 at 02:09 AM.

You can try to search for dannysantos, BananaDiver and tungtong in cs. They are some of the prolific street photographer around here. Find out how they approach it and study their composition.
    Last edited by coolthought; 12th November 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I can organise one specially for you under newbie heading..... it will be my first one though...
    ps.(need to ask zca permission first)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    I can organise one specially for you under newbie heading..... it will be my first one though...
    ps.(need to ask zca permission first)
    Just do it bro. No need to ask ZCA. I am sure he approves. I will try to support you if timing is ok with my ever feeding baby.

Do a cut and paste from our old newbie outing thread, and mod the details in there to fit yours.

Just do it bro. No need to ask ZCA. I am sure he approves. I will try to support you if timing is ok with my ever feeding baby.

Do a cut and paste from our old newbie outing thread, and mod the details in there to fit yours.
    I will look for a place whereby it is baby friendly, accessible for baby pram.

Blog Entries

I will look for a place whereby it is baby friendly, accessible for baby pram.
    Bro, we don't really bring the baby out. A little early for that.

But please take care for Bro Hotwork77. He is one of our senior citizen bros. Will need an easily accessible location.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th November 2010 at 09:47 AM.

Bro, we don't really bring the baby out. A little early for that.
    noted. In between baby feeding and diapers changing time.

Blog Entries

noted. In between baby feeding and diapers changing time.
    Actually my wife is taking care mostly... but sometime emergencies happen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast