Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

  1. #1

    Default purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    hi guys, anybody here brought camera equipments from digitalrev? is a HK company. was very interested in Tamron 17-50mm lens. the price different is quite huge.

    http://www.digitalrev.com/en/tamron-...anty-9228.html

    was wondering any of the members here purchase from there..

    many thanks!
    Canon 550D | Speedlite 430EXII | 18-55mm kit lens | 75-300mm

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by takashi miyo View Post
    hi guys, anybody here brought camera equipments from digitalrev? is a HK company. was very interested in Tamron 17-50mm lens. the price different is quite huge.

    http://www.digitalrev.com/en/tamron-...anty-9228.html

    was wondering any of the members here purchase from there..

    many thanks!
    Please note that this company charges $60 shipping and handling. And the lens is basically a grey set. So the only 'warranty' you get is store warranty. Meaning you have to send the lens back to HK if there is a problem.

    So cost will be 352+60 = 412 USD. Do your conversion to SGD... maybe cheaper by $10-20. And you have to add 7% GST. So if you factor all that in, you will save $60 from buying a LOCAL Waranty set which is selling new for around 630 after gst here in SG with 3 year warranty from the authorized agent (JEL Corp). If there is a major problem, the agent will send you lens to Japan and back to get it fixed FOC.

    Your call.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th November 2010 at 08:44 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Please note that this company charges $60 shipping and handling. And the lens is basically a grey set. So the only 'warranty' you get is store warranty. Meaning you have to send the lens back to HK if there is a problem.

    So cost will be 352+60 = 412 USD. Do your conversion to SGD... and basically, it is around the same place as a grey set here in Singapore with local shop warranty.

    Your call.
    thanks for your fast response! i didnt know handling was 60 bucks.. thanks again!
    Canon 550D | Speedlite 430EXII | 18-55mm kit lens | 75-300mm

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by takashi miyo View Post
    thanks for your fast response! i didnt know handling was 60 bucks.. thanks again!
    I added more info on top.

    Forgot to add in GST...

  5. #5

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I added more info on top.

    Forgot to add in GST...
    woah!! icic.. thanks for the highlight!!
    Canon 550D | Speedlite 430EXII | 18-55mm kit lens | 75-300mm

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalRev View Post
    The warranty offers by DigitalRev actually allows local service at your location. For more details, please PM me.
    Apart from some funky software companies no manufacturer can dictate what the buyer / owner of equipment can do with it. What do you mean with 'allows local service'? Sure, local service center might accept the lens for servicing, but will they charge for it? So what is included in your offerings? Please post your warranty terms and conditions here online, we all want to see what your services are about.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Apart from some funky software companies no manufacturer can dictate what the buyer / owner of equipment can do with it. What do you mean with 'allows local service'? Sure, local service center might accept the lens for servicing, but will they charge for it? So what is included in your offerings? Please post your warranty terms and conditions here online, we all want to see what your services are about.
    Right on...

    DigitalRev,
    Time to be transparent. No "PM me" BS... put it out here for all to see... will be good marketing for your own company if it is indeed as good as you make it sound.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Thanks for clarifying this point. Some items under "Exclusions" caught my eye:
    Damage caused by impact, fire, theft, attempted theft, accidental or malicious damage, vandalism, acts of war or terrorism, corrosion, water contamination or ingress, frost, flooding or other adverse weather conditions
    If the camera is suitable for use in subzero temperature range (see detailed specs in manual) then you cannot exclude this in your warranty terms. Whatever the manufacturer has stated as suitable you will have to honour and accept. You cannot further limit the usage of the product as what the maker has stated.
    Connection of other fittings, accessories, equipment or software to the product which were not approved by us
    This is very blur. Brand and model specific accessories don't need any approval by your company. They are produced to work with that specific model or brand. E.g. If I get a Canon DSLR from your shop, do I need to ask for approval when using a Canon lens which I have not purchased from you? Tripod? Filters? Flash? I know most makers are itchy about 3rd party components and try to make using them complicated (chips in batteries, ink cartridges etc).
    Attaching the product to a network not approved by us, or if you have made changes to your operating or network system
    Do I need approval for my home LAN or company network from you? Certain settings will always be changed by customers and have to be changed to comply with simple security recommendations. Most default settings in network products are unsafe. This is normal usage of a product, nothing that can be used as warranty exclusion.
    General Terms
    The warranty is not transferable to a third party.
    What is third party here? Does it also include any new owner in case I sell the product purchased from you? Since the warranty card (and product number) is the key here (as emphasized in another clause) the name of the owner should not matter at all.
    EOS

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalRev View Post
    Have no problem being more transparent! Just make sure that I am not violating any terms of the forum.

    Based on your request, you can find the details at TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR DIGITALREV 12 MONTH WARRANTY.

    To summarize, you can generate a price quote and confirmation of manufacture defects or fault of production at a local repair store and send it back to us for approval. Once it's approved, you can get it service locally and send us the invoice. DigitalRev will pay you the cost of service.
    1. Your conditions are for 12-month warranty. On the product the TS specified, it is mentioned that is a 7 year warranty. Will the same terms and conditions carry on into the 2nd through 7th year?

    2. So I understand this, so the owner of the lens have to get the problem looked at with an official quote and report of problem. This has to be sent to you, and you have to approve the repair, and at your discretion, refuse repair or require the owner to repair the lens at a specific service center. The buyer also have to pay out of his pocket in advance, and submit the invoice for you for reimbursement later? Sounds more like an insurance claim than a warranty to me.

    3. Many service centers now require the owner of the lens to pay for an inspection service fee for inspection, report on the problem and do a quote. (Canon service center comes to mind). Will you cover this fee?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th November 2010 at 11:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: purchasing equipment from digitalrev

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    2. So I understand this, so the owner of the lens have to get the problem looked at with an official quote and report of problem. This has to be sent to you, and you have to approve the repair, and at your discretion, refuse repair or require the owner to repair the lens at a specific service center. The buyer also have to pay out of his pocket in advance, and submit the invoice for you for reimbursement later? Sounds more like an insurance claim than a warranty to me.
    Also good to know: is there any commitment about the time frame within which the decision / approval for repair is made? Otherwise it could easily ding-dong for weeks with assessment, counter-checks and whatnot.
    Not saying that this model is bad, but it should not be significantly slower than any standard warranty procedure.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •