Thread: Bring camera for mountain hiking.

Default Bring camera for mountain hiking.

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu mount. But still hesitating for birnging my camera along? ANy protection shall I do for keeping my camera function well and damage from the low temperature condition. I heard the temperature a the peak of the mountain is about 5-10 celsius.

Thanks for experice sharing and opinion. =)

Default Re: Bring camera for mountain hiking.

What cam are you using? For D700, below is the op env temp and humidity spec.

Operating environment Temperature: 0 - 40 C / 32 - 104 F, Humidity: under 85% (no condensation)

If you are going KK, you may wanna get a cam backpack for better protection. Ofcourse, if you drop, then is another story.
    Came across cam body cover/casing and lens cover, maybe you can go CP or TK to check them out.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by snowicezz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu mount. But still hesitating for birnging my camera along? ANy protection shall I do for keeping my camera function well and damage from the low temperature condition. I heard the temperature a the peak of the mountain is about 5-10 celsius.

I brought my cam+lens during my Mt Kinabalu trip in May.

Basically i dun have much protection, i just carry a camera bag pack and protects my cam well when i am not using it.

Tip: Please leave behind your other personal belongings at the base resort and only bring your cam+lens, clothings (for the one night stay) and toiletries for the climb. Cos I made a mistake by bringing everything up... (nearly 10kg i think), end up i am not physically fit enough to carry so much stuffs... so i paid my porter to carry my bag for me

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    end up i am not physically fit enough to carry so much stuffs... so i paid my porter to carry my bag for me
    i mean my guide.

i wouldn't worry about the temperature much... anything that is not less than 0 degrees is still fine.. the most is the battery run out faster slightly..

its the weight, and the protection as you climb that should be the worry... if you're not really there for photo-taking, then maybe bringing a smaller camera would suffice..

if not then its best to protect ur investment with a proper bag etc etc..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Hi everyone,

here is Consumers Corner, you thread is belongs to Travel Photography

thread moved.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi everyone,

Use a comfortable waterproof backpack. It helps in the climb, and protects your camera against rain and accidental knocks, especially for the summit push.

Your camera will work fine at the summit, as long as you don't drop it. The D90 is a sturdy camera. It is cold and windy up there and your fingers may feel numb, and battery may drain out faster.

Other than that, enjoy the breathtaking sunrise and view up there when the weather is good. =)

Sorry. Thanks for moving. Newbie here.

mine is D90. I am worry about the humidity. Thanks for your sharing. What is CP and TK huh?

ok. Thanks for your advice. One bag for camera, one bag for cloth, food and water. =)

My D90 survived a 3 weeks trip in the Himalaya range hanging on my back pack. i wrapped a zip-lock over my cam for protection against sudden rain/drizzle. no problems at all... survived temp below 10 degrees.
    Nikon D90; Nikkor 18-105mm, Nikkor 50/1.8D, Nikkor 10-24mm DX, Nikkor 35mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm VC