Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D700 vs 5D Mark II

Default Re: d700 vs 5dm2

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I would think sports you need a higher MP for cropping. Not so much for portraiture. I think both systems are equally good, but prices of Nikon lenses are mostly more compared to the Canon equivalent, e.g. 50mm f/1.4, 24-105L vs 24-120mm f/4.
    Agree with with on the cropping part. However, my recommendations also take in account continuous AF performance/customizability as well, which, i'm very certain, nikon trounces canon in currently.

Why canon for portraiture? Well, I personally think the skintone and lens choices are simply geared for human photography. Indeed... 21 megapixels is not required for day-to-day portraiture unless you're shooting huge prints for a wedding etc.

Look at all the $3000 range canon cameras with high megapixels... 5D2, 1D3. Either 21 megapixels, slow shooting rate, consumers AF or 10 megapixels, fast shooting rate, professional AF. Currently the only things from canon that have high mpx and high fps is 7D/1D4. This is how canon slowly closes the gap in their product range.

Doesn't it make sense that a D700 or even a D3 (approx $4000 2nd hand recently) make the most suitable sports camera at this price range? 12 mpx, pro AF & high fps all in one package. It's paokaliao basically.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Doesn't it make sense that a D700 or even a D3 (approx $4000 2nd hand recently) make the most suitable sports camera at this price range? 12 mpx, pro AF & high fps all in one package. It's paokaliao basically.
    Don't forget the D300s, 12 MPX, pro AF, high fps, with very affordable price.

The body only is even cheaper than the new D7000+kit
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    Don't forget the D300s, 12 MPX, pro AF, high fps, with very affordable price.

The body only is even cheaper than the new D7000+kit
    If you need that additional reach on telephoto lenses, yes, thats a good idea.

Otherwise if you look at the FF market, nikon and canon has obvious different tactics to lure different type of customers.

Bro... WHAT do you shoot?...

Bro, mostly I shoot mixed, varieties, open to all sort of possibility. Hence looking for a more all round brand/ body. Mostly potraiture & photojournalism

Well at the very least tell me WHAT you might be mainly shooting in the next 2 years. At a 3k budget for 1 body ONLY, my choice as follow;

Sports - Nikon D700
    Events - Nikon D700
    Portraiture - Canon 5D2
    Photojournalism - Canon 1D3
    Why 1D3 is better? Better fps?
    Landscape - Canon 5D2 Thought is Nikon? More towards cool tones
    Weddings - Canon 5D2/1D3/Nikon D700 in order?

If your priority is lenses;

Must look nice -> Canon
    Must be big aperture -> Canon Nikon less option?
    I suck wide-angle lenses -> Nikon
    Cheap and good -> NikonThought in general, Nikon bodies slightly cheaper, value for money, but lenses more expensive?
    Price = performance -> Nikon
    I like good service and can kpkb at service centre -> CANON
    Bro, already replied, can please answer to my queries?

Also, in term of the following, which brand's you prefer more?

Design/ enorgomic/ built?
    Function/ menu?
    Ease to access to function?
    Optical viewfinder? (wearing spec)
    Lens sharpness?
    Colour tones?

Previously from Canon. Would like to switch to Nikon, hence asking for opinion.
    One thing i like better since both about the same, we can't go wrong with any is CLS.
    (even though one drawbacks among the cons of Nikon is they seem can't control new technology well e.g.: New 7k's video losses to 7D's).

Also, my friend told me 1D3, D3x , pro bodies have a function to have highlighted subject correctly expose for backlight photo, easy to get well expose pictures, is it true? I.e. for a backlight subject, we can choose the area for the subject to be correctly exposed, while will not overexposed. I suspect is image overlap function for HDR, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Design/ enorgomic/ built?
    Function/ menu?
    Ease to access to function?
    Optical viewfinder? (wearing spec)
    Lens sharpness?
    Colour tones?

One thing i like better since both about the same, we can't go wrong with any is CLS.
    (even though one drawbacks among the cons of Nikon is they seem can't control new technology well e.g.: New 7k's video losses to 7D's).

Also, my friend told me 1D3, D3x , pro bodies have a function to have highlighted subject correctly expose for backlight photo, easy to get well expose pictures, is it true? I.e. for a backlight subject, we can choose the area for the subject to be correctly exposed, while will not overexposed. I suspect is image overlap function for HDR, maybe.
    I'm not a pro, but many of the stuff you asked are subjective.

-Ergonomics I feel Nikon has the edge, but that's also subjective
    -Function/menu also subjective, some people prefer Canon, some people prefer Nikon.
    -Ease of access to function depends on camera body but I prefer Nikon since you don't have to press a button to change AF point - on the entry level bodies. Not sure about the pro Canon bodies. I also prefer Nikon's controls when it comes to the dials, somehow it just feels more right to press a button and shift the front or back dial, but it feels weird to press a button at the top and then shift the top dial on a Canon.
    -Lens sharpness depends on the lens, not the brand
    -Colour tones can be photoshopped, but most people feel Canon produces more natural skin tones. If you shoot RAW or tone down the contrast setting on a Nikon then it's about the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    In this case, D3S is your only answer. King of the King of Noise performance.
    You could set the aperture at f/2.8 (to avoid the out of focus) but able to boost the ISO level to 3200 - 6400, and the noise level is still acceptable.

However, D700 or 5DM2 is a par in the noise output, I believe.
    If you have plan to buy D3S, it's better to switch to Nikon now (either D700 or D3s).
    I find ISO 12800 from D3s acceptable too...

Blog Entries

See all of you all work so hard to say this and that... and in fact the comparison of D700 vs 5Dm2 has been done soooo many times on the internet that it is not even funny...

http://gizmodo.com/5160540/canon-5d-...view-shoot+out
    http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-5d-mark...d700-compared/
    http://www.photographybay.com/2009/0...n-d700-review/

i noticed in all Canon vs Nikon discussions everyone talks about Ergonomics and handling, Resolution, AF speed etc. but no one ever mentions that Nikon's digital Optical Viewfinder is the f**kin bomb! The superimposed AF points and grid-lines are the first things that i noticed when i switched from C to N. When u set AF to 3D tracking and Continuous can see the AF point moving around in the viewfinder like Gundam robot missile tracking enemy but when u look at Canon's viewfinder like robocop Canon's viewfinder AF points are all on-screen permanant and the selected AF point will be lighted when shutter half pressed. And for C to have gridlines u have to purchase a seperate focussing screen.

The list of small details that N has over C goes on and on...

P.S im using D700 so im not sure if the viewfinder is the same for D300 and other models so the above comments are just from my narrow point of view. sorry and thanks.
    Last edited by ikilledversace; 14th November 2010 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ikilledversace View Post
    i noticed in all Canon vs Nikon discussions everyone talks about Ergonomics and handling, Resolution, AF speed etc. but no one ever mentions that Nikon's digital Optical Viewfinder is the f**kin bomb! The superimposed AF points and grid-lines are the first things that i noticed when i switched from C to N. When u set AF to 3D tracking and Continuous can see the AF point moving around in the viewfinder like Gundam robot missile tracking enemy but when u look at Canon's viewfinder like robocop Canon's viewfinder AF points are all on-screen permanant and the selected AF point will be lighted when shutter half pressed. And for C to have gridlines u have to purchase a seperate focussing screen.

The list of small details that N has over C goes on and on...

P.S im using D700 so im not sure if the viewfinder is the same for D300 and other models so the above comments are just from my narrow point of view. sorry and thanks.
    Yeah even the entry level Nikons have that kind of viewfinder. Forgot to point it out lol, but yeah that's something I like over Canon's VFs also. Another thing about the VF is a more visible selected AF point confirmation (larger box overlay vs nothing on the Canon), since on the Canon you only know where your AF point is when you start focusing, and even then it's just a small red dot which can get quite annoying if you miss it (though it's not that hard to miss it)

P.S. I laughed at the Gundam robot thing

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Yeah even the entry level Nikons have that kind of viewfinder. Forgot to point it out lol, but yeah that's something I like over Canon's VFs also. Another thing about the VF is a more visible selected AF point confirmation (larger box overlay vs nothing on the Canon), since on the Canon you only know where your AF point is when you start focusing, and even then it's just a small red dot which can get quite annoying if you miss it (though it's not that hard to miss it)

P.S. I laughed at the Gundam robot thing
    The last time Robocop III was released in 2003.
    But Gundam has been updated every year. The latest version is Mobile Suit Gundam 000 this year 2010.

No wonder that Robocop Auto Focus tracking can't defeat Mobile Suit Gundam Auto Focus tracking.

Note: Gundam is not robot, but mobile suit.
    Last edited by jeff7id; 14th November 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

I was thinking of moving to FF, may be within the next 12 months if my budget permits but i feel that Canon knows what CONSUMERS want when they add HD Video and HUGE Megapixel sensor in their 5DM2 while Nikon gives PHOTOGRAPHERS/ENTHUSIAST what they want with adequate 12MP + low high iso noise + D3-like AF performance/FPS.

Lenses wise, both camps have a HUGE arsenal to choose from but Canon has more variants for different budgets (for e.g 70-200) and likes to 'update' their lenses whereas most Nikon primes are from the 90s.(IIRC).

IMHO, it's hard to ignore the fact that 5DM2 gives so much for the same $$ where as you just feel Nikon is holding back those extra features (to cut cost?). Whether you need HD video or not it's always feels "good to have", ditto to the extra megapixels.

However, I am predicting Nikon can pull one back if their next FF sensor for D800/D4 is close to 18Megapixel, so in turn in DX/crop mode, it can still give 12MP and 1.5x multiplier and possibly even high fps, so either you can still keep your DX lenses to save a bit of weight or your telephoto lenses get free 'extension'. Of course, Nikon will still rule the high iso race thought 18MP might be quite a challenge.

Hopefully, D700 replacement comes quick if not most users (like myself) will still have a dilemma of whether to jump ship or not.
    A7RII | D750

Default Re: D700 vs 5D Mark II

This is a Quick Answer, No doubts at all to the Question:

I would pick the 5DII over the D700 any time!

To me there is no fight at all. Cos image quality is what I'm after and the 5DII is superior. And a host of other reasons. Eg: I started out with Canon and the D700 is nothing so fantastic in price and features to make me jump ship.

It would make more sense if the dilemma is between D700 and the old 5D.

However, as with all decisions to make, it really boils down to what you want to photograph and what you're willing to give up. Both has its pros and cons. Find out their differences, and evaluate for yourself.

Bro, mostly I shoot mixed, varieties, open to all sort of possibility. Hence looking for a more all round brand/ body. Mostly potraiture & photojournalism

What you need is a 1DsII, if thats all.

Photojournalism - Canon 1D3; Why 1D3 is better? Better fps?

It's not about better fps, but 1.3x crop factor works wonders with certain lenses for PJ-ism. Imagine 16-35L II on 1.3x, is a 20-45 mm equiv, fantastic for wide and not so wide run-&-gun work. 50 mm becomes a 65 equiv, does the job of both 50 & 85 in one package.

Landscape - Canon 5D2; Thought is Nikon? More towards cool tones

Not that you need 21 mpx for shooting landscape to put for flickr, but it's really me who like the canon emerald greens for landscapes.

Weddings - Canon 5D2/1D3/Nikon D700 in order?

Depends on how you shoot. If actual event performance is the top factor, D700 then 1D3 then 5D2.

If your priority is lenses;

Must be big aperture -> Canon; Nikon less option?

Certainly, to me 50 f1.2L and 85 f1.2L are the standard as-good-as-it-gets large aperture lenses from Canon. Yah sure, people can go on days and days to suan 50L, but lets face the facts, 90% have not own this lens long enough to know thats its actually a fabulous lenses discounting known problems. You one it to work perfect, buy one, and bring it to CSC.

If you want the dead, extinct and exotic, theres even a 200 f1.8L & 50 f1L.

Cheap and good -> Nikon; Thought in general, Nikon bodies slightly cheaper, value for money, but lenses more expensive?

Nope, i doubt it's throughout the entire lens family. Theres always cheaper C/N stuff in both brands.

50 1.4 AF-D cheaper than EF 50 f1.4
    85 1.8 AF-D cheaper than EF 85 f1.8
    N24-70 more expensive than EF 24-70 etc.

Design/ enorgomic/ built? I like both brand bodies very much (except the D3 portrait grip end, abit uncomfortable at first), but simplicity wise, I like canon slightly more. But canon lenses are nicer to mebut it's complex to learn how to set everything quickly.
    Ease to access to function? Canon, it's as simple as it gets.
    Function/ menu? Nikon. I like customizability.
    Optical viewfinder? (wearing spec) D700/D3 without rubber eye-cup not comfortable. Everything in canon is fine.
    Lens sharpness? Touchy subject. It's case by case. But if you need 24-70, nikon one is hordes better. And obviously wide-angle lenses are top of market in nikon. Trust me, one day you will realize that sharpness ranks no. 2 or 3 in the important qualities of the lenses.
    Colour tones? Canon. Imagine nikon has a wider range of colors, but canon has more range in the tones. This is what I feel from just looking at the raws. But I don't know much about the actual numbers.

As said, Nikon flash system trounces canon, by a noticeable margin. On the contrary, FE lock is so easy to use, that TTL somehow becomes a added chore to control in canon.

I'm a raw shooter, so i tend to care less about extremely accurate exposure, so long don't over too much, i'm okay. But yes, pro bodies tend to have better matrix/evaluative accuracy.

If you don't care about colours, change system, if you do, sit down and think... Do i like canon colours? To me this is a very important question. You can PP to get good skintone, but trust me, it is extremely difficult to PP to achieve the gradation that canon gives you out of the box.
    As above.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 15th November 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Theres not much difference between cropped and ff nowadays. 12mp is more than sufficient to print a poster and cropped camera iso is really catching up fast. The only differences i would compare will be the dof and the wider working space.

Taking kids and dogs i would go for "action" cameras. Its frustrating to shoot whole day and everything out of focus

Quote Originally Posted by bunegg View Post
    Theres not much difference between cropped and ff nowadays. 12mp is more than sufficient to print a poster and cropped camera iso is really catching up fast. The only differences i would compare will be the dof and the wider working space.

Taking kids and dogs i would go for "action" cameras. Its frustrating to shoot whole day and everything out of focus
    I still think there is a big difference in centre frame sharpness and detail level. I like the depth on full-frame, so call me a pro-FF guy.

Whats an action camera to you? To me action camera = high fps, good & customizable continuous AF. If it doesn't suffice both, it's not an action camera.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 15th November 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Action to me means good af and fasteframe rate as well.

Cant tell much difference in sharpness if u use the same lenses on regular prints.. Touch up in ps is still good to go for magazines

Bigger pixel have better quality but the slight edge in ff i rather do it in post processing.
    Unless its mf.. Den the look and feel and details are on a totally difference scale
    Last edited by bunegg; 15th November 2010 at 02:50 PM.

As above.
    i am awe by the details of explanation

As above.
    Thanks bro for the replies! Have been reading your previous thread discussing about both brands.

Actually this thread is very informative as we have very good discussion about brand in general which hardly found in some threads (which always lead to brand war). I liket this thread, we discuss about both brand for discussion purpose. Sometimes when lead to brand war, the discussion was stopped.

Here is my take (from a user has not used Nikon DSLR before):

Long heard of Nikon's famous CLS, viewfinder, lens backward compatibility and enorgomic/built. Have discovered some pros and cons for each brand. Now I have narrowed down to the potrait skin tones issues. I think one of these days I have to sit down and rethink about which path to follow. Nevertheless, have already cleared all my Canon's stuff, think have been left no choice but give Nikon a try. Sad to found that the skin tones by Canon is something difficult to PP.

camera profiles can be applied externally as well.. u can use d700 and shoot and apply 5dm2 profile...

Thanks bro for the replies! Have been reading your previous thread discussing about both brands.

Actually this thread is very informative as we have very good discussion about brand in general which hardly found in some threads (which always lead to brand war). I liket this thread, we discuss about both brand for discussion purpose. Sometimes when lead to brand war, the discussion was stopped.

Here is my take (from a user has not used Nikon DSLR before):

Long heard of Nikon's famous CLS, viewfinder, lens backward compatibility and enorgomic/built. Have discovered some pros and cons for each brand. Now I have narrowed down to the potrait skin tones issues. I think one of these days I have to sit down and rethink about which path to follow. Nevertheless, have already cleared all my Canon's stuff, think have been left no choice but give Nikon a try. Sad to found that the skin tones by Canon is something difficult to PP.
    If skin tones is your concern, actually Canon provides better tones than Nikon. Of course you could fix the tones in PP, but if you are shooting events and later have hundreds of photo to be corrected in PP, it would be painful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast