Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a problem with my sensor?

Default Re: Is there a problem with my sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Denis, have to disagree with you on this one. Moving the camera around during the exposure will NOT blur the dust spots as the dust will be moving together with the camera. It's actually a very useful technique when using the dust alert function. If the background is not OOF enough, the dust alert can give false positives pretty frequently (I usually use a white wall or door, but the remaining uneveness on the wall or wood grain can sometimes still show up as spots or lines). Moving the camera to generate blurness in the background can solve this problem. Just a slow pan may be enough, depending on the shutter speed used.
    Yup, this is what i meant, the background will not be OOF enough and sometimes it is difficult to see where the dust are.. so shaking the camera during long exp will make the background OOF and overexpose it, leaving behind white image with sensor dust left.. but, if the exposure is too long, smaller dust will disappear too, so have to be in the correct speed.. (i.e. don't get it too overexposed) I tried this method several times when cleaning up the sensor, so i know it works..

Cheers!
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

I got a square piece of 'dust' when i aim my cam at my lamp. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    Yup, this is what i meant, the background will not be OOF enough and sometimes it is difficult to see where the dust are.. so shaking the camera during long exp will make the background OOF and overexpose it, leaving behind white image with sensor dust left.. but, if the exposure is too long, smaller dust will disappear too, so have to be in the correct speed.. (i.e. don't get it too overexposed) I tried this method several times when cleaning up the sensor, so i know it works..

Cheers!
    interesting to know indeed. to think i tried so hard to get the wall in focus & even used my tripod to get a consistent exposure so as to get a better comparison on the position/size of the dust particles before/after blowing!

anyways after several rounds of vigorous blowing it seems the dust particles are gone. Thanks everybody for the useful suggestions!

p.s. should i close the thread now that the issue is resolved?

If issue is resolved pls close the thread.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12