Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help in getting my first lens!

Default Re: Need help in getting my first lens!

How much is the camera body alone?

If you are constrained by budget but want some range in your lenses, consider getting the body + 50mm (@$60) and a 2nd hand 18-200 or 55-250.

I know the 50mm is a popular lens, but I not a fan of the f/1.8 version from both Canon and Nikon... But oh well, to each his own.

Anyway, kit II is more versatile, since it provides you with a greater reach. All that is left is to ask yourself if you will use the tele end.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I know the 50mm is a popular lens, but I not a fan of the f/1.8 version from both Canon and Nikon... But oh well, to each his own.
    same here.

in fact, for canon, i feel that both f1.4 (build of lens, usm ring not good) and f1.8 (photo quality, shape of bokeh) cannot make it.

i prefer third party 50mm f1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaky View Post
    Why the choice of 50mm F1.8?
    I would recommend Body alone couple with Tamron 17-50mm non-vc.
    I second this. This combo gives you better image quality as well as an extra stop. But, it's roughly $600 for the lens.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys for all those comments. After much consideration, I will go with kit 2 will be getting it this weekend

Smile Re: Need help in getting my first lens!

Hi Wan Ling,

Personally I really love the 50mm F1.8, it's really good for portraiture, kudos to its wide aperture! The focal length is also quite comfortable, I think 50mm is the closest possible focal length equivalent to human vision. (or was it 55mm? ) At around $100 it's really a bargain and a must have I guess.

I think you should go for Kit 1 together with the 55-250mm. Note that the wider the focal length range, the poorer the image quality produced. There will be more distortion etc. Just take the case of the 18-200m - the monster zoom - at 18mm there is very very very evident distortion to an extent that I deem is unacceptable! I'm worried that the 18-135 will also pose this problem.

Besides, you can always switch lenses during different events. E.g. when you shoot sports, you can use the 55-250, when you shoot indoor events you can switch to the 18-55. To me it's not really a hassle to switch lenses. It produces better image quality I guess.

Hope this helped
    -ziiren

Quote Originally Posted by ziiren View Post
    I think you should go for Kit 1 together with the 55-250mm. Note that the wider the focal length range, the poorer the image quality produced. There will be more distortion etc. Just take the case of the 18-200m - the monster zoom - at 18mm there is very very very evident distortion to an extent that I deem is unacceptable! I'm worried that the 18-135 will also pose this problem.
    aye, you need a 17-40 f4L lens then

in my opinion, since Wan Ling is just starting out, and has not settle on her niche yet, an inexpensive general purpose lens (like the 18-135 or 18-200) will be good for her as she can experiment all she wants.

When she has decided on her niche, she will be able to identify the limitations of her equipment, then it will be up to her to decide whether to upgrade or not. What is the point of being bogged down by the need to switch lenses for different situations when there is a more convenient solution and more serious considerations when learning about photography?

i've already said my piece so its really the person spending the money who should be thinking carefully..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

After reading up more reviews and looking at other's advice, for now I'm thinking of forgetting about the ef s18-135. Thought of getting the kit 1 + EF s 55-250 and EF 50mm f/1.8 II since the EF s55-250 price has reduced to $370 and I think its quite a good buy. What you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Wan Ling View Post
    After reading up more reviews and looking at other's advice, for now I'm thinking of forgetting about the ef s18-135. Thought of getting the kit 1 + EF s 55-250 and EF 50mm f/1.8 II since the EF s55-250 price has reduced to $370 and I think its quite a good buy. What you guys think?
    why not just wait.. dont' buy the 55-250 until you really need a zoom.. bcos now all i can think of that you are going to be shooting can be taken with a 18-55 kit lens.. do not be mis-guided into thinking that you need focal lengths of 200 and above to zoom in... you can zoom with 55.. and also with ur feet..

unless you are diving into wildlife/ bird watching/ star gazing/ Formula1 racing/ things that you need to keep a certain distance.. then you can comfortably stick to the normal focal range..

in the future maybe 6 months down the road, if you figure you would like to own a long range zoom becos you shoot at that distance objects/subjects, then you will also be better informed to know what specialized lens to buy.. at that time, a 55-250 will not be even on ur list of choices..
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    why not just wait.. dont' buy the 55-250 until you really need a zoom.. bcos now all i can think of that you are going to be shooting can be taken with a 18-55 kit lens.. do not be mis-guided into thinking that you need focal lengths of 200 and above to zoom in... you can zoom with 55.. and also with ur feet..

unless you are diving into wildlife/ bird watching/ star gazing/ Formula1 racing/ things that you need to keep a certain distance.. then you can comfortably stick to the normal focal range..

in the future maybe 6 months down the road, if you figure you would like to own a long range zoom becos you shoot at that distance objects/subjects, then you will also be better informed to know what specialized lens to buy.. at that time, a 55-250 will not be even on ur list of choices..

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post

What you said does make sense to me. I've been attracted to it by the discount given from purchase with purchase for the EF S55-250.

However, will I be able to get basic wildlife image with the EF S18-55 as I do love taking pictures of them. I understand that I can save up the $370 from EF S55-250 and get a better one in future but how much would a good telephoto lens cost?

Dun buy becos of discount. U'll end up with lens u dun wan. All the kit lens apenture are not constant and are rather small. This means u can only use it when there are enough lighting going into the camera sensor. You'll face alot of "miss focused" and hunting problem.

What you said does make sense to me. I've been attracted to it by the discount given from purchase with purchase for the EF S55-250.

However, will I be able to get basic wildlife image with the EF S18-55 as I do love taking pictures of them. I understand that I can save up the $370 from EF S55-250 and get a better one in future but how much would a good telephoto lens cost?
    18-55 the zoom is not far enough for wildlife.

a good telephoto to start is the 70-200mm f4 non IS. Which is about $1-1.1k.

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    I will do this,

get the body only, buy the 50mm f1.8 @ $60. Buy a f2.8 lens & forget the kit lens.....
    All kit lenses with f3.5-5.6 will face low light challenge.
    Read more before purchase.

Just my 2 cents...

Here's my opinion.
    Beside the range offered, take a look at their aperture size.

My advice would be still Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 due to the constant aperture size.
    Great walkabout lens. On a crop body that would means 27.2mm - 80mm. If you want a closer view, zoom with your legs. ie walk closer. If not can always crop your photos later.

Getting the 50mm f1.8 is the best choice you can make. At such low price, even if you decide to sell it later, it confirms a profit for you.

With 2 lenses on hand, i suppose the tamron will be on the body most of the time.
    You can also try this with the 50mm.
    http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

My take is start with things around you. I rather you invest in some accessories rather than buying the 55-250mm. Ie Lenspen, UV filter, Dry cabinet.
    Canon EOS 450D | Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 | BG-E5
    UWA? | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | 580EX II

my question would then be how often are you thinking of shooting wildlife? and at what sort of range?

if you are only doing it randomly or seldom, why spend that $370 for the 55-250... and later on you may also find that its not exactly good enough for the kinda effect you want..

if i was going to go to the birdpark this weekend, with the motive to shoot some birds.. i would just rent a lens for the weekend.. $20-$40.. done.. don't need to spend the $1.1K to get a 70-200 and then just keep it in my dry cabinet until two months later then go zoo and shoot some animals...

buy what you need.. its the same theory as if you cycle to work everyday.. why buy a car when you only drive twice a year when going to Malaysia for short weekend...
    mylightedreams

i think it would be good if you could shoot for awhile and find out what you're really interested in shooting. get the kit 1. it has decent IQ and a comfortable range of focal length. then take your time to find out what you really want to shoot. if its just "everything under the sun" then the kit lens or a tamron 17-50 is really more than enough 55-250 i would say is slightly hard to work with if you're shooting friends in a gathering and stuff, but it has decent IQ, and it has IS too.

i initially wanted to go for the kit 2 but after calculation, the kit1+55-250 is just slightly more expensive than the kit 2. IQ of kit 1 is also better. downside is that you have to change lenses for 55-135mm.
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

OT abit..
    Where can i get this 50mm f1.8 at a very good price?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast