Thread: Help: Clean "oil" off lens

Default Help: Clean "oil" off lens

Hi.

Need your expert guidance here. I was using the 50 mm f1.8 II lens over the weekend, taking pics of BBQ activity. Somehow, while taking pics of the fire, some oil "splatted" on the lens (the glass portion).

How do I clean the "oil" off the glass?

Thanks.

Default Re: Help: Clean "oil" off lens

Clean it with a lens pen.

Quote Originally Posted by apiwales View Post
    Hi.

Need your expert guidance here. I was using the 50 mm f1.8 II lens over the weekend, taking pics of BBQ activity. Somehow, while taking pics of the fire, some oil "splatted" on the lens (the glass portion).

How do I clean the "oil" off the glass?

Thanks.
    If you have the UV filter on, just unscrew it and give it a wash with mild detergent and blow dry followed by a general cleaning with lint free cloth.

If it's on your lens glass element itself, then soak it up quickly using a tissue. Don't smudge the oil as it will be food for fungus to grow. Gently, saturate the area with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and gently clean it up with lint free cloth. Finally, use a lens pen to finish off those corners that is hard to reach. Put the whole lens into the dry cabinet to dry off whatever moisture left behind.

Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

in future pls do it immediately with a tissue paper to 'soak' up the oil first and clean it up . . . not advisable to leave the oil stain for long time . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Hi guys,

Thank yo so much for all the advice above.

I'm cleaning the lens now (unfortunately, I did not have a UV filter on the lens at that time).

Thanks again.