Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a walkaround lens, and plan to buy either the Nikkor 28-300 or Tamron 18-270 to pair with the Tokina 11-16.

    I reckon both the Nikkor and the Tamron are walkaround lenses, so am wondering which one to pair with the Tokina 11-16?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Answer's pretty straightforward. If you're using a FF, its the nikkor no doubt. However if you're using crop, you need to ask yourself how often you think you'll want to change your lenses. Cos the 28mm on the nikkor is not wide angle, and you're missing the 16-28mm in between, which could be vital to you. My bet is on the tamron if you're on crop.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    if FF should be comparing nikoor 28-300 wif tammy 28-300vc
    but her vr comfirm no fight wif vc for above...PQ depending on individual skill

  4. #4

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by vaxvms View Post
    if FF should be comparing nikoor 28-300 wif tammy 28-300vc
    but her vr comfirm no fight wif vc for above...PQ depending on individual skill
    VR (Nikon) no fight with VC (Tamron) ?? both are 4 stops according to reviews.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Nikon 28-300mm for sure... brand loyalty!
    Playing with M43.

  6. #6
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    I'm using the Nikon 28-300mm with my D90.

    The lens is sharp throughout the range.

    Don't forget the backend that you have Nikon Service Centre if there are problems with your lens.

    Cheers.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by rprod View Post
    VR (Nikon) no fight with VC (Tamron) ?? both are 4 stops according to reviews.
    I own both before so this is my personal feel...but sold tammy away as still support nikon
    now 24-120 vs 28-300...tinking which to sell away

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I'm using the Nikon 28-300mm with my D90.

    The lens is sharp throughout the range.

    Don't forget the backend that you have Nikon Service Centre if there are problems with your lens.

    Cheers.
    so do you have anything less than 28mm?

    Is this your walkaround lens?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    so do you have anything less than 28mm?

    Is this your walkaround lens?
    TS..if on DX best walk around should be 17-55F2.8 for me

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    got to remember that tamron VC is the market leader in terms of vibration control.

  11. #11
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    I've the Sigma 10-20mm DC, I did not buy the Tokina 11-16 as personally for me, it was heavy for a DX lens.

    Some photos that I took today with the Nikon 28-300mm and D90.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemuji...7625330953014/

    HTH.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Thanks for your input everyone.

    Going to Italy in a few months so I'm just planning ahead.

    Was considering the Sigma 8-16 but I think the Tokina 11-16's 2.8 is more advantageous for taking pictures of the inside of churches.

    Then I was thinking can zoom into certain points of interest in places like the Colosseum, so from what you guys have said, I have more or less settled on the Tamron 18-270.

    I use a Nikon D80.

    Much appreciated, everyone
    Last edited by monkster; 7th November 2010 at 11:42 PM.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    I've the Sigma 10-20mm DC, I did not buy the Tokina 11-16 as personally for me, it was heavy for a DX lens.

    Some photos that I took today with the Nikon 28-300mm and D90.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemuji...7625330953014/

    HTH.
    Thanks for showing me the photos!

    One question: heavy or not?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Thanks for your input everyone.

    Going to Italy in a few months so I'm just planning ahead.

    Was considering the Sigma 8-16 but I think the Tokina 11-16's 2.8 is more advantageous for taking pictures of the inside of churches.

    Then I was thinking can zoom into certain points of interest in places like the Colosseum, so from what you guys have said, I have more or less settled on the Tamron 18-270.

    I use a Nikon D80.

    Much appreciated, everyone
    I have the 11-16 and am looking a lens for holiday too. I am also considering a tamron but it's 18-200... One thing that's stopping me from buying is the variable aperture... I might need to reach to zoom in... but I am damn scared that the f4.5 and smaller would be too slow for some low light situations....

    And frankly, f2.8 doesn't feel large enough to let enough light in for places like church...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    And frankly, f2.8 doesn't feel large enough to let enough light in for places like church...
    hmmm, then the alternative Sigma 8-16 will be a no-no for me too.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Thanks for showing me the photos!

    One question: heavy or not?
    HI,

    Pretty sharp. Did you try on any lower light shot?

    By the way, does the lens creep? Understand lens of this kind tends to creep; extend.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    hmmm, then the alternative Sigma 8-16 will be a no-no for me too.
    unless you mount it on a tripod...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    unless you mount it on a tripod...
    Yeah, will probably need to buy another tripod. The one I have feels too heavy.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Hi,

    I'm looking for a walkaround lens, and plan to buy either the Nikkor 28-300 or Tamron 18-270 to pair with the Tokina 11-16.

    I reckon both the Nikkor and the Tamron are walkaround lenses, so am wondering which one to pair with the Tokina 11-16?

    Thoughts?
    why not the Nikon DX 18-200? budget?
    Nikon D300

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

    Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    why not the Nikon DX 18-200? budget?
    Also can, the price difference isn't too big.

    Just thought the additional zoom from the Tamron is good, and besides, the 18-270 seems to be highly recommended when I did a search on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •