Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Need help with camera recommendation!!

  1. #1

    Default Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Hi people. I need your help and input.

    I am thinking of getting a camera to shoot food products. The pictures will be used for brochures (A4 size roughly), pamphlets and the product packaging.

    My budget will be about $700-800. Are there any specific models out there that you recommend? What are the things to look out for in a camera that is used mainly for close up shots of food products?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    All cameras will do.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Hi, Your budget can buy LX5, S95, EX1.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, Your budget can buy LX5, S95, EX1.
    Or also entry-level DSLR cameras.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member iwdreamz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Incredible Island
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattiboy View Post
    Hi people. I need your help and input.

    I am thinking of getting a camera to shoot food products. The pictures will be used for brochures (A4 size roughly), pamphlets and the product packaging.

    My budget will be about $700-800. Are there any specific models out there that you recommend? What are the things to look out for in a camera that is used mainly for close up shots of food products?

    Thanks.
    I use a Fujifilm A303 to take foodshots. It's fun and interesting. You should try it too. In fact any camera also can do the same thing.
    A picture is worth a thousand words

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Hmmm...

    What about the quality of the photos on print? Will it be grainy or will the DR be good enough for those cameras you all have mentioned?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Canon 500D body only without kit lens is having great promotion. Get it from shop should fit your budget & dont forget the purchase with purchase that fit your need.

    http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/buying/promotions

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Canon 500D body only without kit lens is having great promotion. Get it from shop should fit your budget & dont forget the purchase with purchase that fit your need.

    http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/buying/promotions
    Without the kit lens will not help him, how will he take a picture?

    Might as well get a K-X or a brand new Sony A290 with kit lens for about 670 SGD.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Any camera will do.

    If you want a DSLR, then anyone within your budget will be decent.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    we have 2nd hand items at BnS section....why dont you give it a try, You might see what you are looking for that's withing your budget!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    TS, with ur budget, I will get pentax K-x for its superb high ISO performance.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    TS, with ur budget, I will get pentax K-x for its superb high ISO performance.
    would you need high iso performance for food photography?
    Gripped A500 kit | Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 | 50 1.8 | Minolta 70-210 4 | HVL-42AM

  13. #13
    Deregistered arikyeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta93 View Post
    would you need high iso performance for food photography?
    Normally I never increase the ISO above 100 as I love noise-free shots , so I will always just on the IS, set the arpeture to ultra-wide, and set shutter speed to between 1/5 to 1 second. And because I have a steady hand, my shots are usually shake-free

    Mattiboy, For your choice I think a second hand 450D in b&s will suit you. Cost usually around $600 only.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta93 View Post
    would you need high iso performance for food photography?
    when TS mentioned food photography.. indoor low lighting come to my mind.. haha

    reread TS post.. i think TS will surely has sufficient lighting provided since the photos to be used for marketing..

    nevertheless, the sample image of K-x from Imaging-resource.com enough to convince me of its sharpness, thus my recommendation.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattiboy View Post
    Hmmm...

    What about the quality of the photos on print? Will it be grainy or will the DR be good enough for those cameras you all have mentioned?
    If you light the food properly, you can shoot at base ISO. Any camera will be good enough, even PnS.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    i tot commercial food photography they use flash... the wway the TS put it sounded like it was for commercial use.
    Gripped A500 kit | Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 | 50 1.8 | Minolta 70-210 4 | HVL-42AM

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    With a budget of $700-800, you can get a new set of EOS 1000D with Kit lens 10MP...Can do what want already...Hope this help...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    I'd suggest u get a high-end compacts like LX5 or S95 for ur budget, they at least have dedicated macro mode which allows u to shoot at close distance.
    U can use natural light, like window with curtain for diffused light. I suppose for A4 size prints they are sufficient.

    If u get an entry level DSLR, image quality is better but u may need extra accessories or dedicated lens for close distance shoot (just in case u really need macro works).

  19. #19

    Default Re: Need help with camera recommendation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Without the kit lens will not help him, how will he take a picture?

    Might as well get a K-X or a brand new Sony A290 with kit lens for about 670 SGD.
    Buy a brand new 50mm f1.8 @ $60 from Canon.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •