Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

  1. #1

    Default Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Hi all!

    I will be flying down to Japan this month, Nov 26th for awhile.

    Happened to be at Lake Kawaguchi as my dad will be running the Lake Kawaguchi Marathon.

    Any good areas to visit around the lake?? or tokyo?

    Would be good as I've gone to Japan quite a few times but I've never gotten a real good chance to go around and see see! Haha.

    Oh and yes, would I be able bring my cam into the plane?
    I'm using a 60D with a 18-135mm lens. That shouldn't affect anything, should it?
    I've been reading the threads...so many things about not being to check in cameras and stuff..makes me abit worried! I'm not too sure with checking in my cam with my luggage and all...hehehe.

    Also saw all the weird dimensions they allow for baggage
    Why so strict!!!??!?! I'm using a bag around the size of the Crumpler Karachi Outpost (S). Hope that's ok too.

    Ok! Would really be cool if I could get some suggestions for places to visit from my seniors on the forum! (I am still quite young, heehee) Thankssss!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Lake Kawaguchi is the biggest lake of the 5 lakes around Mt Fuji so you can probably spend the whole day travelling and sight seeing around the lake. The maple leaves should still be around at the end of Nov, although it depends on the location. Some may have already come to an end. I have taken the cruise there which is just a ride within the lake. But we didn't see Mt Fuji due to the very cloudy weather. I think there is a bus system that can bring you around the lake. Not very sure about that so you need to research about that a little

    I'm not sure how big is your bag, but generally bringing up your camera bag on board shouldn't be a problem at all.

  3. #3
    Member Clarity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Lake Kawaguchi is quite nice. To travel around the area, you might wan to buy a day ticket for unlimited travel on the bus routes.

    I only stayed there one night. Only managed to visit the lake in the morning, and then went to Kawaguchiko UKAI Mori Music Box Museum. Personally, I thk Kawaguchiko UKAI Mori Music Box Museum is quite nice.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
    Lake Kawaguchi is the biggest lake of the 5 lakes around Mt Fuji so you can probably spend the whole day travelling and sight seeing around the lake. The maple leaves should still be around at the end of Nov, although it depends on the location. Some may have already come to an end. I have taken the cruise there which is just a ride within the lake. But we didn't see Mt Fuji due to the very cloudy weather. I think there is a bus system that can bring you around the lake. Not very sure about that so you need to research about that a little

    I'm not sure how big is your bag, but generally bringing up your camera bag on board shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Thanks! Yep, my parents said the bag would be fine to bring it up on board. Thanks! I'm leaving this friday!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Lake Kawaguchi is quite nice. To travel around the area, you might wan to buy a day ticket for unlimited travel on the bus routes.

    I only stayed there one night. Only managed to visit the lake in the morning, and then went to Kawaguchiko UKAI Mori Music Box Museum. Personally, I thk Kawaguchiko UKAI Mori Music Box Museum is quite nice.
    I will be there for 2 nights I think...but I'm actually there only because of my dad. He is running a marathon there. I did check the area out on the internet and there seems to be quite a few tourist attractions around there! I think the only problem would be the language barrier. Besides that it should be fine. Wait till I get there and then from there I'll plan! Thanks by the way!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by andrekblt View Post
    Thanks! Yep, my parents said the bag would be fine to bring it up on board. Thanks! I'm leaving this friday!
    Have fun! And hope to see some shots when you come back!

  7. #7
    Member Clarity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by andrekblt View Post
    I will be there for 2 nights I think...but I'm actually there only because of my dad. He is running a marathon there. I did check the area out on the internet and there seems to be quite a few tourist attractions around there! I think the only problem would be the language barrier. Besides that it should be fine. Wait till I get there and then from there I'll plan! Thanks by the way!
    Don't worry abt the language barrier, I can only read abit of Japanese, and I got around juz fine ^^ Have fun

  8. #8

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Don't worry abt the language barrier, I can only read abit of Japanese, and I got around juz fine ^^ Have fun
    I agree. Sometimes the fun lies in not being able to communicate fully

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    there is a bus which goes around the lake
    however,the bus driver seems to speak jap only
    theres a ropeway at 1 of the stops which you can take to the top for a great view of mt fuji
    provided its not obscured by cloudy weather

  10. #10

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    there is 2 retro bus service covering different areas of the lake, tickets (1 or 2 days pass) can be bought at the Kawaguchiko station.
    Dont worry yourself over the language barrier, I survived 7 trips through out Japan with gesturing, pointing and simple english.

    There is a visitor center beside Kawaguchiko station, you can get english guides (description/places of interest) there.
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    If you're young then you would probably want to experience the suburban lifestyle than the mountainous one. That said, if you can wake up early and get Mount Fuji in the morning together with the lake then you should be able to get some amazing shots with your 18-135 lenses. If you can climb fuji-san or another nearby mountain that would be even better, but do it early morning or afternoon and finish just before dark otherwise you may be spending all day in the same spot.

    You should also try the onsen experience at least once (outdoor bathing), you are allow to carry a little towel if you are embarrassed and if you're game like me then you can find the wild onsens for mixed bathing ;-)

    Tokyo, too many things to see, start with Akihabara and work your way out if you can :-)
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  12. #12

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    there is a bus which goes around the lake
    however,the bus driver seems to speak jap only
    theres a ropeway at 1 of the stops which you can take to the top for a great view of mt fuji
    provided its not obscured by cloudy weather
    Yes! Been reading up on that... my flight is in 4 hours time... haha... Yup the ropeway isn't too expensive. They said I should get there before 730 to make sure the clouds don't kill the view. But I don't know if my parents will want toget up that early...hahaha but thanks anyway! valuable information

  13. #13

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
    Have fun! And hope to see some shots when you come back!
    I will! Get it up on flickr then I'll share the link on the forum!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by simonsng View Post
    there is 2 retro bus service covering different areas of the lake, tickets (1 or 2 days pass) can be bought at the Kawaguchiko station.
    Dont worry yourself over the language barrier, I survived 7 trips through out Japan with gesturing, pointing and simple english.

    There is a visitor center beside Kawaguchiko station, you can get english guides (description/places of interest) there.
    I'm fine with Tokyo, my dad's been in Tokyo for quite awhile. It's just the Kawaguchiko area. But thanks anyway, I will look out for those guides. Thanks!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    If you're young then you would probably want to experience the suburban lifestyle than the mountainous one. That said, if you can wake up early and get Mount Fuji in the morning together with the lake then you should be able to get some amazing shots with your 18-135 lenses. If you can climb fuji-san or another nearby mountain that would be even better, but do it early morning or afternoon and finish just before dark otherwise you may be spending all day in the same spot.

    You should also try the onsen experience at least once (outdoor bathing), you are allow to carry a little towel if you are embarrassed and if you're game like me then you can find the wild onsens for mixed bathing ;-)

    Tokyo, too many things to see, start with Akihabara and work your way out if you can :-)

    thanksss! i did my homework on the mount fuji thing. seems really interesting! i may go up and have a shot. Early morning I hope. Don't want the clouds to obstruct anything. I've been to Japan twice I think or once and i've tried the Onsen before! Bad experience!!! But thanks anayway! Akihabara is the tech city! haha. thanks for the info. definitely more prepared for my little trip in kawaguchiko. thanks!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Don't worry abt the language barrier, I can only read abit of Japanese, and I got around juz fine ^^ Have fun
    Thanks! I think it shouldn't be a problem too... flying off in 4 hours! See you and thanks once again!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by andrekblt View Post
    thanksss! i did my homework on the mount fuji thing. seems really interesting! i may go up and have a shot. Early morning I hope. Don't want the clouds to obstruct anything. I've been to Japan twice I think or once and i've tried the Onsen before! Bad experience!!! But thanks anayway! Akihabara is the tech city! haha. thanks for the info. definitely more prepared for my little trip in kawaguchiko. thanks!
    haha yeah it really does help to ask around not just at the one place but also at other sites like tripadvisor. I find that, if it hasn't been raiining overnight or cloudy all week long, very early morning is the best time to see some nice colours in the skies during sunrise before the overcasting clouds sets in. Anyway, the visit and climb is worth it even if you can't take a good shot. It had always been difficult to catch Fuji-san on a very nice day so hope you get lucky. I'm looking forward to some photos! Miss Japan a lot.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore.
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    haha yeah it really does help to ask around not just at the one place but also at other sites like tripadvisor. I find that, if it hasn't been raiining overnight or cloudy all week long, very early morning is the best time to see some nice colours in the skies during sunrise before the overcasting clouds sets in. Anyway, the visit and climb is worth it even if you can't take a good shot. It had always been difficult to catch Fuji-san on a very nice day so hope you get lucky. I'm looking forward to some photos! Miss Japan a lot.
    Catching Fuji-San in full glory is like buying 4D..i was quite lucky to get unobstructed view of Fuji-San and it is gorgeous. I even took Fuji-San from different angle alighting in weird spot using the bus pass i bought there..enjoy
    OLympus EP3 17mm..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Japan! Lake Kawaguchi & Tokyo

    Hope this is not too late. I was there just 3 weeks ago and was lucky to see Fuji san. There is a vistor center next to Lake Kawaguchi Station, that allows you to "deposit" your luggage while you stroll around this little town and the lake. A 15 mins walk will bring you to the lake and as one of the blogger said, the bus does bring you around the lake too. Check out the detail here in Jap only http://transportation.fujikyu.co.jp/...ion/r_bus.html. If you can read chinese, check out this very detail write up from this Taiwanese blogger of getting into Lake Kawaguchi. http://kunghc.pixnet.net/blog/post/9553587. Send me a message if anyone needed more info.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •