Thread: Weird WB and Contrast Settings upon LR Import; help?

Default Weird WB and Contrast Settings upon LR Import; help?

Hi folks,

I have tried to import RAW file from my canon eos550D into LR3 but I am facing very very weird problems.

During the initial import process, the color temperature and contrast are "as seen" per the camera LCD.

however, they quickly change to becoming very cool (bluish) and very darkened.

I have tried insisting nil develop profiles/settings/preset but the above still happens.

Can anyone advise this n00b here?

Google seems to suggest making a custom calibration profile first? Am i on the right track?

Default Re: Weird WB and Contrast Settings upon LR Import; help?

Quote Originally Posted by songwee View Post
    Hi folks,

I have tried to import RAW file from my canon eos550D into LR3 but I am facing very very weird problems.

During the initial import process, the color temperature and contrast are "as seen" per the camera LCD.

however, they quickly change to becoming very cool (bluish) and very darkened.

I have tried insisting nil develop profiles/settings/preset but the above still happens.

Can anyone advise this n00b here?

Google seems to suggest making a custom calibration profile first? Am i on the right track?
    Are you shooting highlight tone priority mode?

It will unexpose everything by 1 stop, which is not a bad thing at low ISOs.

What you see on camera LCD is the JPG image processed according in-camera settings (White Balance, Exposure compensation etc.). This jpg is embedded into RAW file for faster preview. Your LCD will only show this jpg, never the RAW data. Upon importing LR uses this jpg also for first preview, then switches over to the RAW data. In case LR can deduct the in-camera settings from RAW file it will use them. But thanks to the proprietary stuffs that C,N and others are doing this might fail and LR just shows what is there in the RAW data.
    Depending on your actual conditions this might result in very strange looking images with colour casts because no White Balance correction is done. Take a picture at a normal sunny day, maybe using Auto Mode and load it. There shouldn't be any significant difference between LCD and RAW.
    A second idea: verify that LR does not apply any development preset upon importing.
    EOS

hi folks,

thanks for the heads up.
    after more googling and trial-n-error, the best way (it seems) is to create a 'neutral' preset but choosing Camera-Faithful under Camera Calibration (last item of Develop module) and have that preset as default upon import...

many thanks!