Thread: Humidity level for dry cabinet

Default Humidity level for dry cabinet

I have a Aipo digital dry cabinet and always store my gears in it when I am back home. I set my RH at 45, as recommended by most CSer.

However recently, I picked up a copy of "Canon: 20 essential EF lenses for better photography" magazine. In page 62, if you happen to have a copy, it is recommended that the RH be set at below 40......quote "Your EF lenses should always be stored in a dark, cool place away from direct sunlight and with humidity level below 40"

Question: Should I readjust it to 40 or just continue to maintain at 45? I am concerned because have spent quite alot on this hobby and doesn't want to have gears deteriorating because of wrong setting on my dry cabinet.

Default Re: Humidity level for dry cabinet

the recommendation in the dry cabinet instruction manuel is between 40% to 55% for cameras . . . so you are within range . . .

my dry cabinet is not digital, so i 'agar agar' and it maintains at 40% . . .

in my opinion, 45% is just right here . . .
    Last edited by weegk; 5th November 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gerardo12 View Post
    I have a Aipo digital dry cabinet and always store my gears in it when I am back home. I set my RH at 45, as recommended by most CSer.

However recently, I picked up a copy of "Canon: 20 essential EF lenses for better photography" magazine. In page 62, if you happen to have a copy, it is recommended that the RH be set at below 40......quote "Your EF lenses should always be stored in a dark, cool place away from direct sunlight and with humidity level below 40"

Question: Should I readjust it to 40 or just continue to maintain at 45? I am concerned because have spent quite alot on this hobby and doesn't want to have gears deteriorating because of wrong setting on my dry cabinet.
    I store mine at 38 to 39, near to below 40, not too far from 45.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Don't get anal about 5% RH.
    EOS

Hmm, maybe I should set it to 40RH too, not too much of a hassle, just press the buttons.

If I were to do that, just wonder do I need to take everything out and let it stabilize again before putting my gears in? That's what I do previously when I first bought....

Quote Originally Posted by gerardo12 View Post
    If I were to do that, just wonder do I need to take everything out and let it stabilize again before putting my gears in? That's what I do previously when I first bought....
    Think harder ... don't forget common sense.
    EOS

you don't need to take your gears out . . . just set it.

The first time is to ensure that your dry cabinet is working fine . . . cos it takes longer if you have your gears in the first time as it will contribute to the humidity . . . so you may think that your dry cabinet is not working.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Think harder ... don't forget common sense.
    Ok got it....thanks for the tinker

Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    you don't need to take your gears out . . . just set it.

The first time is to ensure that your dry cabinet is working fine . . . cos it takes longer if you have your gears in the first time as it will contribute to the humidity . . . so you may think that your dry cabinet is not working.
    Thank you for your input. Really appreciate it.

hmm.. i just got a dry cabi today. will set it to 45.

mine is always at 50 haha
    Moments

Hello bros,I keep my cabi at 50+,too dry will crack your strap hook made of plastic.toyo after 15 years still working good.
    Cheers

40% is kind of like a good range already, and as a added precaution you can get another hygrometer from stores like handifix to confirm the RH in the dry cabinet my analogue hygrometer that comes with the digi-cabi registers about 10% lower than the electronic hygrometer that I purchase, so just practice some agar-ration!
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |