Thread: Shopping & touring in San Francisco

Smile Shopping & touring in San Francisco

Hello dear CSers,

I'll be going to SF some time this Dec with my friend, for about 2 weeks. Free & easy, & will be staying at his Aunt's apartment.

While I'm there, I plan to buy some camera gear as prices in US & HK are presumably cheaper than Singapore. & was hoping if any bros or sis could advise on where to buy or what to look out for, & any must-go/must-see places in SF?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Shopping & touring in San Francisco

You could try looking at bhphoto and adorama websites and compare prices before you go.

There are also lots to see in SFO, go visit the local (SG) library for travel guides.
    If u are looking for branded clothes/bags (eg Coach/Nike/Gap/Guess/Levis) , then go down to Premium Outlet at Gilroy CA (via US-101)
    I personally like the coastal drive south to Santa Cruz and Monterey, or u could go up north to Point Reyes .

Quote Originally Posted by eawtan View Post
    You could try looking at bhphoto and adorama websites and compare prices before you go.

There are also lots to see in SFO, go visit the local (SG) library for travel guides.
    If u are looking for branded clothes/bags (eg Coach/Nike/Gap/Guess/Levis) , then go down to Premium Outlet at Gilroy CA (via US-101)
    I personally like the coastal drive south to Santa Cruz and Monterey, or u could go up north to Point Reyes .
    SF is so small you can almost walk everywhere. I walked from union square to the golden gate bridge.

Hi eawtan,

Thank you so much for the advise! I did compare prices on BHPhoto & Adorama, as well as prices of price.com.hk with local prices & that's how I came to the conclusion that prices are presumably cheaper.
    But the stores are located in NYC & I'll be in SFO only. So I was wondering, are the prices on their websites the same thoughout US or applicable to certain states only? Cause Im afraid of being ripped off. Or should I pre-order the gear & have it mailed to my friend's Aunt's place?

Once again, thank you! & sorry for the long-winded questions!

http://www.discountcamera.com/
    is located in SF right in union square area. you can check that out.
    But i am not sure if the price is equal to adorama or B&H...

Hi,

I typically buy from bh or adorama and ship it to a US address. bh or adorama may not be the cheapest for all items, but they do offer good prices for the majority, pls do your own shopping for the specifics .
    Pls note that buying in SFO you'll need to pay state tax and maybe a city tax. You only pay shipping from bh or adorama (since they are outside CA).

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin168 View Post
    Hi eawtan,

Thank you so much for the advise! I did compare prices on BHPhoto & Adorama, as well as prices of price.com.hk with local prices & that's how I came to the conclusion that prices are presumably cheaper.
    But the stores are located in NYC & I'll be in SFO only. So I was wondering, are the prices on their websites the same thoughout US or applicable to certain states only? Cause Im afraid of being ripped off. Or should I pre-order the gear & have it mailed to my friend's Aunt's place?

Once again, thank you! & sorry for the long-winded questions!

Quote Originally Posted by paapoopa View Post
    http://www.discountcamera.com/
    is located in SF right in union square area. you can check that out.
    But i am not sure if the price is equal to adorama or B&H...

Thanks paapoopa! Will definitely check it out & do my own research prior to my departure.

Hi,

I typically buy from bh or adorama and ship it to a US address. bh or adorama may not be the cheapest for all items, but they do offer good prices for the majority, pls do your own shopping for the specifics .
    Pls note that buying in SFO you'll need to pay state tax and maybe a city tax. You only pay shipping from bh or adorama (since they are outside CA).

Wow, didn't know about the state & city taxes. It's really a great help! Thanks eawtan!

Wow, didn't know about the state & city taxes. It's really a great help! Thanks eawtan!
    Checkout CA tax rates at :
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates....=S&LIST=COUNTY

Might be a significant amount if u are buying big ticket items.

Checkout CA tax rates at :
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates....=S&LIST=COUNTY

Might be a significant amount if u are buying big ticket items.
    Thanks for the info! Really a great help! But I do have 1 more question. I was comparing the prices of bhphoto, amazon & adorama. Amazon seem to offer the lowest price (by a few $$) as compared to the other 2. Is it more advisable to order from Amazon or bhphoto?
    Thanks for the great help again!

Thanks for the info! Really a great help! But I do have 1 more question. I was comparing the prices of bhphoto, amazon & adorama. Amazon seem to offer the lowest price (by a few $$) as compared to the other 2. Is it more advisable to order from Amazon or bhphoto?
    Thanks for the great help again!
    I have bought from all 3 shops without any issue. You might want to compare shipping charges as it might be the final deciding factor.

I have bought from all 3 shops without any issue. You might want to compare shipping charges as it might be the final deciding factor.
    Amazon appears to be the most favourable of all. Prices are relatively lower as compared to the other 2 & furthermore, all 3 provide free shipping to US address.
    I'm more concerned in terms of customer service. Will I be able to get a refund or a change if I happen (touch wood) to get a defected set?

Amazon appears to be the most favourable of all. Prices are relatively lower as compared to the other 2 & furthermore, all 3 provide free shipping to US address.
    I'm more concerned in terms of customer service. Will I be able to get a refund or a change if I happen (touch wood) to get a defected set?
    Ah, luckily for me I've never got any defective items from bh, adorama or amazon. In fact I just purchased some items from amazon last week ... (I came back from US 5 days ago ... )

Ah, luckily for me I've never got any defective items from bh, adorama or amazon. In fact I just purchased some items from amazon last week ... (I came back from US 5 days ago ... )

Oh Okay, thanks for the info! I think I've made up my mind. haha.

just got back from SF a few days ago.
    it's turning cold so do bring some warm clothes.
    enjoy yourslf there, lots to see and shoot.
    not many camera shops in the city though.
    have fun!
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Oh Okay, thanks for the info! I think I've made up my mind. haha.

Just wanted to drop in to answer one of your questions; if you are concerned that you may need to return an item purchased via Amazon, but from another retailer, due to Amazon rules you cannot exchange the item. You can only return it for a refund and then submit a replacement order.
    This may be an issue for you as you are on vacation and will therefore have a need for a faster turnaround.

You are always most welcome to email me directly if you are seeking a price match - unit cost and / or shipping, and I will be delighted to see if I can help: HelenO@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
    have fun!
    Hey....will be going to SF on the 4th of Dec. Are you a regular there? Wonder how will the weather/temp be in early to mid december. Google mentioned that it should be around 18 Cel in the day and 10 Cel at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
    have fun!
    Thanks Alpina! I will be bringing lots of warm clothes. But gonna bring gloves too. My finger tips are 1st to get cold very easily

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Just wanted to drop in to answer one of your questions; if you are concerned that you may need to return an item purchased via Amazon, but from another retailer, due to Amazon rules you cannot exchange the item. You can only return it for a refund and then submit a replacement order.
    This may be an issue for you as you are on vacation and will therefore have a need for a faster turnaround.

You are always most welcome to email me directly if you are seeking a price match - unit cost and / or shipping, and I will be delighted to see if I can help: HelenO@adorama.com
    Hi Helen, I will be in SF for about 2-3 weeks & staying at my friend's aunt's house throughout the course of the stay.
    Thanks for the info, will e-mail you some time soon

The point of buying camera stuff in America is to get rid of the sales tax by buying online because they dont offer GST refund (booo booo)

Quote Originally Posted by enkindel View Post
    Hey....will be going to SF on the 4th of Dec. Are you a regular there? Wonder how will the weather/temp be in early to mid december. Google mentioned that it should be around 18 Cel in the day and 10 Cel at night.
    not regular but my work takes me there sometimes.
    like i mentioned, the weather is turning cold so i can safely say that early to mid december should be pretty chilly.
    it might look sunny in san fran but when the wind blows, it's really cold.
    i think a jacket is a must.
    enjoy your trip and have fun!
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare