I have been poking around the DxOMark site:
Nikon 50mm f1.8D (el cheapo)
- on D3X: peak score = 54
- on D700: peak score = 37
- on D300s: peak score = 30
- on D90: peak score = 29
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII (pro glass)
- on D3X: peak score = 61
- on D700: peak score = 38
- on D300s: peak score = 32
- on D90: peak score = 32
Seems to say that:
1. The D3X is head and shoulder above the rest - regardless of what lens you throw at it.
2. D300s don't get you much more than D90.
3. D700 - from the above score - worth it?
What do others think? How would you read the data?
(Sorry, I am a Nikon user and so is more familiar with their range. Not sure how it is for Canon.)