Thread: Photography Tips : How to take good sharp Groups photo

Default Photography Tips : How to take good sharp Groups photo

Hi,

Sun I had tried to use my friend camera (D300s) to take some group photo. The photo came out blur.. not sharp..(eg 2rd row sharp and 1st and 3rd row blur)

Anyone can assist me in How to take group photo in indoor / outdoor (about 30 person in 3 rows).. any tips..

Default Re: Photography Tips : How to take good sharp Groups photo

For the result u mentioned (where 2nd row sharp, the rest blur), maybe the shot was taken at a very wide aperture, thus shallow depth of field. Try stopping down the aperture, maybe from f/1.8 to f/8. All 3 rows should be in focus. This requires some trial n error until u get the hang of it.

I assume the lens was already wide enough to accommodate everybody in the frame.

Step 1) Avoid Telephoto lenses.

Step 2) Check Exposure settings, making sure you put a reasonable F-Stop. I use at least a 6.3 for my table shots. Use flash if necessary.

Step 3) Press the Shutter.

Can try

1. Reducing Focal Length and 2. Increase F-Stop

Should work.

single row usually f/2.8 will work, 2 rows f/4 will work but if want to be safe then take one at f/8 and a second one at f/11. Aim generally at the centre of the rows.

i take it you know what it entails for the iso and shutter speed. here is some samples of my most recent group shots.

at f/1.8

at f/2.8

at f/4

at f/8

every lens has its own characteristic so either you know your lens well or can guess just how much depth of field you have to work with at chosen aperture.

as for your shot, something like this could work. f/11
    I used the setting sun to provide enough illumination to keep the shutter speed and iso at what i want. One flash wasnt going to cut it.
    Last edited by Reportage; 3rd November 2010 at 04:21 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

1. Be proficient with your equipment.

Every lens have their own characteristics. E.g. some lens are sharpest at f/4, some at f/8. Too big or too small the aperture there is some loss in sharpness.

So get acquired with the lens you use.

2. Know your basics.

Even if some lens is sharpest at f/2. It doesn't mean to use f/2 because of depth of field may be too small so adjust it to fit the group. When you adjust, try to fit it in your lens sharpest range. How to know what is the sharpest range for your lens? You can find out yourself or some manufacturers have some charts as guideline. Guideline because not all same model of lens are the same.

Next, there is a minimum shutter speed to prevent i) camera shake, ii) motion blur. So don't use too long a focal length to have an acceptable ISO and shutter speed.

3. Gather your experience.

Practice, evaluate, refine, improve. You may find that manual mode is the best, with flash, using center metering, ... etc... All these are your learning journey and will stay with you as long as you don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    1. Be proficient with your equipment.

Every lens have their own characteristics. E.g. some lens are sharpest at f/4, some at f/8. Too big or too small the aperture there is some loss in sharpness.

So get acquired with the lens you use.

2. Know your basics.

Even if some lens is sharpest at f/2. It doesn't mean to use f/2 because of depth of field may be too small so adjust it to fit the group. When you adjust, try to fit it in your lens sharpest range. How to know what is the sharpest range for your lens? You can find out yourself or some manufacturers have some charts as guideline. Guideline because not all same model of lens are the same.

Next, there is a minimum shutter speed to prevent i) camera shake, ii) motion blur. So don't use too long a focal length to have an acceptable ISO and shutter speed.

3. Gather your experience.

Practice, evaluate, refine, improve. You may find that manual mode is the best, with flash, using center metering, ... etc... All these are your learning journey and will stay with you as long as you don't give up.
    Thanks all..

Will try out this weekend...

Thanks again..