Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie's Dilemma - Canon or Nikon?

Default Re: Newbie's Dilemma - Canon or Nikon?

yes olympus is the right choice

pepper0104,

please share how you came to such a definite conclusion...
    I'm not saying that Olympus is no good... far from it. But at least your recommendation must have some basis...
    Exploring! :)

Personally I've tried one of Olympus' bodies at Courts.... Boy, without turning on the cam (since there wasn't any bat in it) I walked off (didn't even need to ask salemen for the bat to test it out)... the material used.... *gulp*.... I leave it to each and everyone of you to go expore... This is just a personal opinion - the body i've tried... just too much plastic for my taste... I *salute* the Olympus DSLRers for their boldness to go along with it...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Personally I've tried one of Olympus' bodies at Courts.... Boy, without turning on the cam (since there wasn't any bat in it) I walked off (didn't even need to ask salemen for the bat to test it out)... the material used.... *gulp*.... I leave it to each and everyone of you to go expore... This is just a personal opinion - the body i've tried... just too much plastic for my taste... I *salute* the Olympus DSLRers for their boldness to go along with it...
    Care to share which body was that?
    Last edited by arctos; 16th November 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Just photograph what you think is beautiful - that is all that matters. ~ Wing Shya ~
    .:Flickr:.

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post
    Can to share which body was that?
    I wish I can remember, there was at least a mode knob on top... when I turned the knob... the feel is so... plasticky-clunky... Feels very cheap... Do they have more solidly built bodies in the line up? I figure Courts probably would just display entry-level to enthusiastic level bodies... Not too hard to guess... For Nikon, courts would take out D3100/D5000 at best D90/D7000 out...

I wish I can remember, there was at least a mode knob on top... when I turned the knob... the feel is so... plasticky-clunky... Feels very cheap... Do they have more solidly built bodies in the line up? I figure Courts probably would just display entry-level to enthusiastic level bodies... Not too hard to guess... For Nikon, courts would take out D3100/D5000 at best D90/D7000 out...
    Ah... you referring to this: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol...ash_450pix.jpg

or this: http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/...s-e620-slr.jpg

or maybe a panasonic: http://www.uspree.com/upload/products/1053/2/41582.jpg
    Last edited by arctos; 16th November 2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Just photograph what you think is beautiful - that is all that matters. ~ Wing Shya ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pepper0104 View Post
    Yup... the choice is so right that even top executives at Olympus has practically announced that they will concentrate solely on mirrorless going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    pepper0104,

please share how you came to such a definite conclusion...
    I'm not saying that Olympus is no good... far from it. But at least your recommendation must have some basis...
    ah, i always love the blue from olympus, the reds from sony, the colourful camera bodies from pentax, almost natural skin tones from canon, the feel handling of nikon and its vibrant colours..
    how ar bro, can help me... hehehehehe
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

I think it's the 620... It was an all-black body...

If it's a recent trip to Courts then that should be the one. Doubt the e-4XX series would still be around. The camera has a swivel screen right?

DPR states the body material as glass fiber reinforced plastics. The Pentax K-x uses plastic on stainless steel chassis and I couldn't find info on the Nikon entry level D3000/D3100. Not sure what's so plasticky about Olympus in particular since most entry level ones uses plastics to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yup... the choice is so right that even top executives at Olympus has practically announced that they will concentrate solely on mirrorless going forward.
    Not exactly solely but more of "concentrate on" m4/3 going forward. However I agree that the top execs should be dragged out and shot all the same for their fickleness.

Quote Originally Posted by arctos View Post
    If it's a recent trip to Courts then that should be the one. Doubt the e-4XX series would still be around. The camera has a swivel screen right?

DPR states the body material as glass fiber reinforced plastics. The Pentax K-x uses plastic on stainless steel chassis and I couldn't find info on the Nikon entry level D3000/D3100. Not sure what's so plasticky about Olympus in particular since most entry level ones uses plastics to a certain extent.
    well, there are many different varieties and grades of plastics.
    'Plastic' is a very generic term.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by pepper0104 View Post
    Samsung NX100 will be a better choice.
    Becos our mod ed9119 has reviewed it and it is close to the size of your ezlink card. Olympus can't beat this.
    Last edited by coolthought; 16th November 2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

All the Olympus 43 DSLRs are black, as far as I know.

TS,

Olympus is a good choice. Why not. I use it. It takes the photos that I want, and its easy to learn how to use. Plus, it's light and gives great depth of field for the same f number, amongst other advantages. The Zuiko lenses are also very, very good.

Oly is not a good choice if you are the type to flutter around cameras often and sell your camera a few months after you buy it because you're bored of it. You can barely recover your costs cos the resale value is low.

Don't bother trying to share lenses with your cousin.

And honestly, if you want a DSLR just to "play", I think a p&s camera is fine for you.
    Olympian

I get the feeling that ts is more confused than before and maybe feels that we haven't addressed his queries.

Then again the topic is one that will not get much convincing answer. Which is precisely the point daredevil made.

In a nut shell, canon and nikon is equally fine. Won't go wrong with either one
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    I get the feeling that ts is more confused than before and maybe feels that we haven't addressed his queries.

Then again the topic is one that will not get much convincing answer. Which is precisely the point daredevil made.

In a nut shell, canon and nikon is equally fine. Won't go wrong with either one
    Same goes for pentax, olympus, and Sony. Can't go wrong with these too.
    Last edited by coolthought; 16th November 2010 at 06:37 PM.

I guessed it is a matter of which camera make you are comfortable with. May need to consider hand grip size, ease of user interface and buttons, weight of camera, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberbands View Post
    I think that while it is true that it is a very common question asked, I dont think its an unreasonable topic if you put yourself in a newbies shoes. Alot of things can be searched and googled, but that in itself gives the problem of information overload, inability to discern reliability of info, or out-of-date info. As a newbie myself, I dont think TS or similar posters are asking to be spoonfed, but merely looking for multiple POVs to consider, more insights/Some characteristics of the camera that he should consider before making the big decision. Some of the stickies are good and have helped me as well, but I think each of us have individual needs and its not possible to have a one-size-fits-all topic/link/post/sticky that can cover each individuals' personality, situation and needs.

Not saying that one should necessarily be spoonfed but it may not be very helpful to give the politically correct answer that both (or any other brands) are the same, and that should just buy either.

One camera system is incompatible with the other and for some people its a really major decision for their money. Look, feel and handling varies between models and a newbie might not be able to discern well, and not all of us might have access to photography friends/relatives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cupnoodles View Post
    so... Is Colgate better or Crest better? for brushing teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    so... Is Colgate better or Crest better? for brushing teeth.
    still can't decide. Just buy both. Squeeze a little each on your toothbrush before brushing.

This is a classic Toyota or Honda dilemma.
    Both will get u from point A to B.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast