Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

  1. #41

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Everyone here knows a place in a good JC here almost guarantees you entrance into a good university, so there.


    so you mean if i go to a good jc, i can do somersaults for 2 years of jc, and nothing else, and still end up in a good university! wowowow!!!! i shall make sure my kid gets into a good jc next time and then train him to somersault for 2 whole years.

    if he doesn't end up in a good university then, does that mean that i can pm you to ask for a refund?

  2. #42

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Btw, contented doesn't mean that one has to stop thinking or stop improving, but to understand yourself and the circumstance, setting realistic goal in ones life.
    correct, for example, if you are a nikon d3100 user,

    you must be realistic and face the facts that no xmm will smile at you because your camera is too lousy.

  3. #43

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    can use mango to use clothes?
    Live View (LV) also can
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post


    so you mean if i go to a good jc, i can do somersaults for 2 years of jc, and nothing else, and still end up in a good university! wowowow!!!! i shall make sure my kid gets into a good jc next time and then train him to somersault for 2 whole years.

    if he doesn't end up in a good university then, does that mean that i can pm you to ask for a refund?
    obviously they have to study, but i think it's quite natural for those who can get into these JCs to study
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    correct, for example, if you are a nikon d3100 user,

    you must be realistic and face the facts that no xmm will smile at you because your camera is too lousy.
    Add battery grip can already

  4. #44

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    obviously they have to study, but i think it's quite natural for those who can get into these JCs to study
    that is a very sweeping assumption.

    i think to be fair, some amount of effort (though possibly less) will be needed eventually to get into a good university, nonetheless.

    i would agree with you that a link could be formed between entry into a good jc, and subsequent entrance into a good university - but i would not agree that it is as automatic as you initially painted it out to be.

    in any case, in my humble opinion, regarding your point about comparing against others, i agree. but at the same time, you can't just sit around and measure progress alone. let's put this into perspective - if you are a person improving his skills by 1% daily while the rest of the world is doing so at a rate of 3%, sorry to say, one day you will look up and see that the world has passed you by.

    similarly, if everyone else is doing it at 1%, i don't think doing it at 2% is a bad rate at all, though taken alone it could be seen as extremely horrible, depending on what sort of person you are.

    you need to take all things into account - not caring about others at all, or caring too much about what others are doing, all these are traps of doing the same thing too much, and that is almost always a bad thing.

  5. #45
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that is a very sweeping assumption.

    i think to be fair, some amount of effort (though possibly less) will be needed eventually to get into a good university, nonetheless.

    i would agree with you that a link could be formed between entry into a good jc, and subsequent entrance into a good university - but i would not agree that it is as automatic as you initially painted it out to be.

    in any case, in my humble opinion, regarding your point about comparing against others, i agree. but at the same time, you can't just sit around and measure progress alone. let's put this into perspective - if you are a person improving his skills by 1% daily while the rest of the world is doing so at a rate of 3%, sorry to say, one day you will look up and see that the world has passed you by.

    similarly, if everyone else is doing it at 1%, i don't think doing it at 2% is a bad rate at all, though taken alone it could be seen as extremely horrible, depending on what sort of person you are.

    you need to take all things into account - not caring about others at all, or caring too much about what others are doing, all these are traps of doing the same thing too much, and that is almost always a bad thing.
    hmm. i'll say there are more opportunities if u get into a better JC. fundings for them are also much more compared to normal avg jcs. this will allow more overseas learning trips, a better equipped learning environment. the learning environment plays quite a significant role in studies actually

    in sch, my development in photography is actually quite limited. the photoclub is more of a service club doing mainly event coverage. quite a sad thing. often i have to seek outside my school for opportunities, such as YOG and my current project with the NLB.

    i guess its both the matter of seeking opportunities and the number of them presented. the pre-requisite would then be that you have to be prepared and have hardwork backing up, so that you can grab hold and bite on tight when the chance comes

    anyways, one of my ideas for photo talks got scrapped, due to lack of funding and too much manpower must be allocated. Zzz.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd November 2010 at 10:35 PM.

  6. #46

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. i'll say there are more opportunities if u get into a better JC. fundings for them are also much more compared to normal avg jcs. this will allow more overseas learning trips, a better equipped learning environment. the learning environment plays quite a significant role in studies actually

    in sch, my development in photography is actually quite limited. the photoclub is more of a service club doing mainly event coverage. quite a sad thing. often i have to seek outside my school for opportunities, such as YOG and my current project with the NLB.
    (1) to be honest, i don't think overseas learning trips help much , since they are short lived. you would learn no more from an overseas learning trip than you would from a holiday with your parents. this is purely my opinion.

    (2) "better equipped learning environment" - if you're referring to peer pressure, that is definitely very debatable. if it's anything else, i think comparing the different jc's, facilities are all there. i would say that the better jcs have more experience in helping their students get into the "better" universities, but whether that is tapped upon by the students is another thing altogether.

    (3) do you really think that the better jcs' photography clubs are much better?

  7. #47
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    (1) to be honest, i don't think overseas learning trips help much , since they are short lived. you would learn no more from an overseas learning trip than you would from a holiday with your parents. this is purely my opinion.

    (2) "better equipped learning environment" - if you're referring to peer pressure, that is definitely very debatable. if it's anything else, i think comparing the different jc's, facilities are all there. i would say that the better jcs have more experience in helping their students get into the "better" universities, but whether that is tapped upon by the students is another thing altogether.

    (3) do you really think that the better jcs' photography clubs are much better?
    well... i know that njc has a mini studio equipped with a darkroom ...
    not too sure about the rest... havent had the chance to contact and find out

    overseas learning trips do help somewhat. remember, the price is significantly lesser than going on a holiday with your parent. some do visits to universities and attachments for a few weeks. allows a different lifestyle compared to singapore's education system. i guess this helps the lower income students such as me. (personally i never had a chance. its too expensive)

    better learning environment is partly made up of peer pressure. but also technology must be in place my current school has 2 wireless networks that we cannot use, and everyone is bringing lancables to schools to try and steal that few LAN points to use for internet now thats ridiculous
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd November 2010 at 10:48 PM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Now I know why my photos are sucks, it was because my school don't have a photography club.

  9. #49
    Deregistered riotvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at your bedroom window
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Now I know why my photos are sucks, it was because my school don't have a photography club.


  10. #50

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well... i know that njc has a full studio equipped with a darkroom to boot...
    not too sure about the rest... havent had the chance to contact and find out
    overseas learning trips do help somewhat. remember, the price is significantly lesser than going on a holiday with your parent. some do visits to universities and attachments for a few weeks. allows a different lifestyle compared to singapore's education system. i guess this helps the lower income students such as me. (personally i never had a chance. its too expensive)

    better learning environment is partly made up of peer pressure. but also technology must be in place my current school has 2 wireless networks that we cannot use, and everyone is bringing lancables to schools to try and steal that few LAN points to use for internet now thats ridiculous
    that's one.

    certain schools allocate more budget to particular cca's, that they view as the school's niche cca. i haven't been to njc, but i don't think cca facilities were really a key point in anyone's decision when choosing jc...?

    well, if you say so.... like i said, i never found learning journeys particularly useful.

    that's interesting, when i was in school, i never really used the computer until i got home. now it is a must to have internet all the time in school? won't it affect your learning by distracting you? are the students using the lan points to gain insightful knowledge with regards to academics, or life? or are they checking facebook compulsively, and going wow over xmm photos in clubsnap?

    if the internet is so embraced by the youth, why do i frequently see 15-18 year olds asking simple questions that could be googled?

  11. #51
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Now I know why my photos are sucks, it was because my school don't have a photography club.

    hardwork+opportunities+luck=success

  12. #52

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Now I know why my photos are sucks, it was because my school don't have a photography club.


    i never picked up photography until i left school.. so i went through quite a few schools with photography clubs, but i never joined any of them or thought of doing so.

    in university, there was also a photography club. after the first outing (which i had to miss) produced a load of photos being showcased, with the key subject being one of the club's female members, i never bothered to join the subsequent outings.

  13. #53
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that's one.

    certain schools allocate more budget to particular cca's, that they view as the school's niche cca. i haven't been to njc, but i don't think cca facilities were really a key point in anyone's decision when choosing jc...?

    well, if you say so.... like i said, i never found learning journeys particularly useful.

    that's interesting, when i was in school, i never really used the computer until i got home. now it is a must to have internet all the time in school? won't it affect your learning by distracting you? are the students using the lan points to gain insightful knowledge with regards to academics, or life? or are they checking facebook compulsively, and going wow over xmm photos in clubsnap?

    if the internet is so embraced by the youth, why do i frequently see 15-18 year olds asking simple questions that could be googled?
    cause the rest spend the time on SNSD and other korean bands, while i'm trying to google for stuff to get things working.

    i'm fine with the constant internet access. during GP lessons, its very useful when the tutor is talking abt something and you needed extra info. hit the google button and i get info on Chernobyl when mentioned. its really quite handy. i could live without the net, but it would be quite troublesome

    i'm using the lanpoint because my presentation editor happens to be online. prezi.com. i managed to get a education version for it for PW

  14. #54
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post


    i never picked up photography until i left school.. so i went through quite a few schools with photography clubs, but i never joined any of them or thought of doing so.

    in university, there was also a photography club. after the first outing (which i had to miss) produced a load of photos being showcased, with the key subject being one of the club's female members, i never bothered to join the subsequent outings.
    just curious, what if you were in the leadership role? how would you run the club? just seeking some advice here

  15. #55

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    just curious, what if you were in the leadership role? how would you run the club? just seeking some advice here
    i would identify a few people who were interested in covering school events, and then let them do it, and let all of the people who were interested in individual genres pursue them.

    most photographic clubs, as far as i can see, propose that all members go on xxx outing to explore LINES, explore a particular theme. i think it's silly to develop an all-rounded interest. up till today, i have tried to feign interest in portraits, but i can't say that it excites me at all. and that is something we must take into account. perhaps there will be quite a lot of members in it to "try" what they like, and there should be a few general (but not mandatory) outings to cater to that majority crowd, but individual development is far more important - after all, you don't see canoeing coaches making everybody row all classes of kayaks one year into training, right? so why would you insist that everyone be interested in your so-called themes?

    this is also something that continues after jc - far too many people are in it to socialise, rather than to pursue the passion of what they are doing or engaging in.

    i would take the effort to source out interesting individuals who aren't just "famous photographers with a name", but people who enjoy what they are doing, who are not afraid to voice their opinion... and who have the passion, to talk to the students.

    there is a lot that you could do, really... but most importantly, as a leader of the club, you must remain objective and not end up bending the club to your purposes. i've seen far too many cases of that frequently. for example, if you're interested in landscape photography, you don't just keep organising trips to the seaside.

    the trouble about a "club" concept is that it assumes that everyone has to do things together, which is something (in my opinion) that is not desirable to develop individuals. the question is how you mantain that balance to ensure that there is a semblance of a club without having too much slant towards a particular genre (unless of course, everyone really likes that). perhaps a monthly social outing and sharing session, with individual pursuits of genres and the combined effort of the leadership to ensure that all aspects are being addressed in their own way?

    also, something to note is that people might be good at something in particular - but they might not be interested in it. you would have to make a choice as to whether to let them embrace what they like, or to try to prod them gently to do what they excel in. usually the latter is not so hard, because people, being people... would enjoy doing things they are good in.

    most importantly, of course, i would dump all the GWC in that club together, and then leave them alone to fester together.
    Last edited by night86mare; 2nd November 2010 at 11:09 PM.

  16. #56
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would identify a few people who were interested in covering school events, and then let them do it, and let all of the people who were interested in individual genres pursue them.

    most photographic clubs, as far as i can see, propose that all members go on xxx outing to explore LINES, explore a particular theme. i think it's silly to develop an all-rounded interest. up till today, i have tried to feign interest in portraits, but i can't say that it excites me at all. and that is something we must take into account. perhaps there will be quite a lot of members in it to "try" what they like, and there should be a few general (but not mandatory) outings to cater to that majority crowd, but individual development is far more important - after all, you don't see canoeing coaches making everybody row all classes of kayaks one year into training, right? so why would you insist that everyone be interested in your so-called themes?

    this is also something that continues after jc - far too many people are in it to socialise, rather than to pursue the passion of what they are doing or engaging in.

    and of course, i would dump all the GWC in that club together, and then leave them alone to fester together.
    well... what if the problem becomes the members have no idea what they wanna shoot?

    eh i think i move to pm. hehe

  17. #57

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well... what if the problem becomes the members have no idea what they wanna shoot?
    then you will have a big section of people (just like clubsnap) who are in it to talk, rather than to shoot.

    i think that's nothing wrong, it is the role of the so-called leaders to guide each individual accordingly.

    that said, it's just a club, so don't have to take it too seriously. it's not as if you have to crap out a whole load of talented photographers from a photography club.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

    hardwork+opportunities+luck=success
    Is it, but from what you had mentioned, it is you school fault.

    No one is limiting you, only you yourself.

    So back to the topic, how to make you happy??? Providing you with top of the range camera systems and studio equipment, whole year round photographic trip to all exotic places on earth, or able to cover all major event from National Day to World Cup.

    You have to work for it and prove to others that you worth it.

    When you are still up so late surfing CS, many of ppls are actually revising their homework.
    Last edited by Leong23; 2nd November 2010 at 11:19 PM.

  19. #59
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Is it, but from what you had mentioned, it is you school fault.

    No one is limiting you, only you yourself.

    So back to the topic, how to make you happy??? Providing you with top of the range camera systems and studio equipment, whole year round photographic trip to all exotic places on earth, or able to cover all major event from National Day to World Cup.

    You have to work for it and prove to other you worth it.

    When you are still up so late surfing CS, many of ppls are actually revising their homework.
    ? i'm doing project work editing actually. my sch term is over since 2 weeks ago. currently all JC students are on a choo choo train doing project work.

    i never say i not happy what i think u misread. i'm just saying that there is a lack of opportunities, but at least i make the effort to find some on my own
    i'm happy with my equipments! haha i never complain what! i am fine with my equipments and happy for what they are and how i got them.
    how to make me happy? nothing much. if life gives u lemons, u make lemonade. make do with whateva u have. work to your best abilities. when the chance come, bite and dun let go.

    i think thats as good as it can get for me
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd November 2010 at 11:28 PM.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How to make Singaporeans happy here??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    correct, for example, if you are a nikon d3100 user,

    you must be realistic and face the facts that no xmm will smile at you because your camera is too lousy.
    How come top models and celebrities smile at Terry Richardson with his P&S?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •